1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kawai S170 - Triage or Autopsy?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BradKM, Mar 24, 2014.

1. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

I noticed that as well!

I've got a say, this is one guitar I really regret selling. I bought it because I'm a Hound Dog Taylor fan. Naturally, it sounded absolutely nothing like any guitar tone I've heard from him, but was very cool. Unique neck shape, weird construction and an extremely fat "bloopy" single coil tone.

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Here's a pic of my '66 Audition/Kawai I picked up a few weeks ago in a pawnshop. I picked it up for $55, which might have been to much for this guitar, but I'd always wanted of these guitars for years.

Anyway, I didn't have to do anything to the guitar. The action on it is not bad,and the pickups actually sound amazing for slide guitar.

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I had a friend in High School who owned a 4 pick up Kawai. It really screamed, in more way than one. I've never seen another one like it, in the flesh or in print.

4. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

5. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Yours is as close as any I've ever seen. There are differences of course, I don't think they made any two the same. He bought his in 1980 with a 10 watt SS amp for $15 US. The guy who sold it acted like he was ripping my friend off.

Two years later my buddy traded it off for some leg and a case of crabs from some girl with green hair at a bar we were playing at in Jacksonville Fl. To this day I don't know why he traded the guitar.

6. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

Ha. What a story. :D

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

You will find the neck is set and the plate is reinforcement or ornamental. The neck plate screws are short and do not hold the neck on. I have 2 Zim-Gar guitars made this way. One of mine needs a neck reset. I took the plate off and I have not been able to get the neck off. I don't want to put too much pressure on it because I don't know if it is a straight tenon or not.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty funny, I knew the early Japanese guitars were somewhat copies of contemporary USA and other guitars, but to make a fake neck plate!

9. niilolainen

niilolainen Tele-Meister

A credible source has told me that mine is likely not a 1969 SS4L but rather a 1964 (it) S180...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.