1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kauri bender

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rich Rice, May 15, 2015.

1. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like i'm heading into a pretty interesting build- Going to take a while. It has been some time since I did a build thread over here, so I thought it would be a nice time to say hello to old friends and maybe make some new ones along the way. :D

Not much to show yet, I've spent the past couple of weeks honing in on the various components, design features, wood species, etc. Started placing orders a couple of days ago. Now waiting for materials to arrive.

Here's a hunk of ancient kauri wood from New Zealand. It has everything going on- curl, wave, and whitebait.. Should be here in a few days.

[​IMG]

2. Rich Rice

Fretboard and pickup rings from snakewood. Should be here in a day or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Wow , that's some nice looking woods you've got there Rich , this one ought to be a stunner , looking forward to the progress

4. Rich Rice

Thanks Herb! I'm very pleased to have an opportunity to do this one. It should be something very special when all is said and done.

The neck will be old growth Alaskan yellow cedar. Super tight grain- This pic is more yellow than it should be- the wood will have a slightly tan/reddish tinge to it, but less yellow. More to the whitish side.

[​IMG]

5. Rich Rice

Main body will be super tight grain, old growth Douglas Fir. I've been saving these pieces for a couple of years, for just the right build..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will sport a Bill Bores long throw bender, a Tele half bridge with titanium saddles, a pair of Chris' Slugbuckers, various Hipshot hardware- including a drop D tuner on there, as well.. and fiber optic side dot markers. :D

6. Rich Rice

Still working out some final details on it, but that's as far as I can go for the moment.. Waiting for some stuff to arrive is the tough part. lol

7. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

Hey Rich. This looks promising! Best of luck with it.

8. Rich Rice

Thanks! I'm chomping at the bit to get going on this one.. Maybe I can do some resawing and joinery on the fir.. The back plate and cover plate for the bender are going to be made from the same piece of fir, if my saw and skillset are up to the task. I really like flush-mount back plates rather than the typical plexiglas covers.

9. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

I've got a lot of time for benders. Gone a little Hipshot crazy lately. Love to get a strap button triggered unit someday. I have this fantasy that one day I'll walk up Gene Parsons' drive and say "Here you go Gene. Do your stuff." I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

10. Rich Rice

Hipshot recently came out with a P/G bender that looks like a good one. Seems better than those Fender used, and appears to be a fairly easy install. Not what I'm used to doing, but I'm intrigued with it. I'm pretty certain I'll get one of those units and give it a try. Most everything I've had from Hipshot has been great design and quality stuff. The strap button actuator is the only way to go for me. I started out (many years ago) with an Epiphone EZ Bender. What a disappointment. I think I still have it in a junk drawer- which is truly the right place for it.. haha

11. Rich Rice

Barring any catastrophic sawing problems, I should be able to resaw the fir to get matching back plates from the same boards, glue up the blanks, and (with care and luck) match the grain for the plates to the back of the instrument.. I like to get them as close as I can, whenever possible. Clean lines always make my day.

I just laid a ruler on the fir- that's a couple of massive hunks. Over 2" thick, and way bigger than the body size. I guess I'll take a good look at the grain patterns and place it accordingly. Not that it will make that much difference on the back, but it's nice to have the option. ;)

12. PGTips

PGTips Tele-Meister

You didn't get on with the EZ Bender? I was close to getting one as I'm a lefty. If you decide to part with it just drop me a line.

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Rich,
    Is Chris going to weigh in with his thoughts in tailoring the pups to this build? I'd love to hear what the tonal vision is for this guitar.
    Rob

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a great plan. I'll be watching.

15. Rich Rice

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it.. That was many years ago, and I have a house full of guitar crap.. LOL

He will likely chime in, I don't know how far he can go on a public forum, due to protecting his design. I didn't discuss a build thread with him- I just decided to cover this and started rolling.. LOL

If there are concerns, the pickups are designed to be an exact fit for standard humbucker routs, but we'll have to see how that documentation is covered.

Awesome! Nice to see you're still here! ;)

16. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Hey Rich!
    I'm eager to see this one. It's going to be a stunner!

17. Rich Rice

It's a real treat to use these materials, for sure. That fir smells incredible when on the jointer! Yum! I want to put it in my mouth.. haha

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow! Lots going on here, it'll be a great build. Thanks for sharing it, Rich!

19. Rich Rice

I'll do my best. It's a challenging build, and won't go as quickly as most of mine go.. Gotta be extra careful here.. ;)

20. Rich Rice

Here goes.. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.