Kate Bush concert

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Telenut62, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I'm actually anxious to read reports and reviews of these shows. First time in 35 years! And yes, I'm hoping a few snaps and vids make it out, in spite of Kate's request.

Just the same, this is one DVD I will buy, if we get it here. She's one of a kind.

3. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

4. Fearnot

This makes me happy.

And look, a Tele! Cabronita, yes?

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad she's returned to the stage. I would love to be there.

6. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Been watching a well worn video from the 80's
    seems like forever........Glad she's out again.

Fantastic writer/singer, performance art.

7. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Is Ian Bairnson still in her band ?

Awesome guitarist !

8. Fearnot

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I wonder if she will ever do a concert where it's just KB sat at a concert grand. Now that would be a magical evening. Wigmore Hall perhaps?

10. hekawi

Indeed. She did not perform any songs from her early catalog. I guess she had been there and done that back in 1979.

Full set list and description from the linked review:

Act 1

It begins in darkness, apparently, a chant for protection from the Rig Veda that leads into a song about fear, magic and safety from The Red Shoes, a barefoot Bush sporting a long, flowing black-and-gold cape leading a procession of backing singers onto the stage. Accompanied by a seven-piece band, she leads them through the evening’s “hits” section.
    Lily
    Hounds Of Love
    Joanni
    Top Of The City
    Running Up That Hill
    King Of The Mountain

Act 2
    The coup de théâtre portion of the evening begins with cannons firing out confetti scrolls bearing a passage from Tennyson’s The Coming of Arthur. A short film is shown in which an astronomer reports the sighting of a sinking ship. Apocalypse Now helicopter whup-whups fill an auditorium now kitted out to resemble the interior of a whale for a dramatic rendering the entire side two song-suite from her 1985 masterpiece, The Hounds Of Love. Kate is raised aloft by fish-men and carried through the stalls while sailors in lifejackets brandish hatchets and a chainsaw.

The Ninth Wave:
    And Dream Of Sheep
    Under Ice
    Waking The Witch
    Watching You Without Me
    Jig Of Life
    Hello Earth
    The Morning Fog

Interval

Act 3
    For the performance of the entire suite from side two of 2005’s Aerial, A Sky Of Honey, the stage is kitted out to resemble Ivan Aivazovsky’s inspirational 1850 painting of the same name. One vignette features Kate’s 16 year-old son Bertie playing the painter. MOJO’s Andrew Perry, who was at the show reports here that “During one astonishing, dramatic crescendo, Bush soared aloft on vast wings spanning some 20 feet”. But by this point reviewers seemed so rapturously lost in the moment that the whole experience could have been but one joyous mass hallucination.

A Sky Of Honey:
    Prelude
    Prologue
    An Architect’s Dream
    The Painter’s Link
    Sunset
    Aerial Tal
    Somewhere In Between
    Nocturne
    Aerial

Encore
    Among Angels (Kate at the piano, alone)
    Cloudbusting

The final ovation lasted for 10 minutes. We’ll be there tonight, assessing the rumour, rapture and reason against our own experiences.

11. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I know her band includes David Rhodes from Peter Gabriel's band on guitar, Pink Floyd collaborator John Carin on keys, Omar Hakim (Weather Report, Sting) on drums with major UK fretless wonder John Giblin on bass.

She asked people to not take cell phone video and it seems like her fans mostly respected that wish, but there is a clip floating around of the last 90 seconds of "Cloudbusting" that sounded really great.

12. Fearnot

13. hekawi

Excellent! thanks! sorry someone disobeyed her request to not record with a cell phone, but selfishly glad to see a bit of the show. She's incredible

I certainly hope there will be a high quality DVD release of the show by Christmas.

14. Fearnot

Surprise! The vid's gone now. I suppose clips will continue to pop up - and disappear - for the next month.

15. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like she is like Peter Frampton in that she does not want any video cams used in her concert. Remember that thread? Lets see if she gets all the negative stuff that Peter got with his stance on Video filming.

16. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

What's with all the over-the-top Broadway "Cats" theatrics? Why can't she and a band just play her songs? Her songs are good enough, you know, to stand on their own. We don't need "Miss Saigon" crashing helicopters. She's a singer of great songs. Why not just do that?

17. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

personally i don't get what all the hype is about yeah she was different for the time and beautiful looking back in the day but her voice is like a deranged Tom cats on heat prowling around a garden in the early hours
    as for the no cameras etc come on love we all get fat and old live with it

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I'm sure KB's not the only one who thinks that the current fad for experiencing reality via the 3" screen of a 'smart'phone is a bit sad.

... and I'd be very surprised if the whole show isn't available before xmas on dvd or via paid for stream.

19. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

She's a theatrical act as much as a musician - that's her background. Yes, it's a bit silly but that's what you expect with La Bush.

As for over-rated - personally I think she is one of the very few acts in popular music history that can genuinely be described as a genius.

Someone who could be different and challenging but still have mass appeal - something Beck, Beefheart, Waits, King Crimson, Zappa or any other outré artist you can think of didn't have the talent to do.

She's also one of the select few who changed everything for those who came after her. You have to been alive in the 70s to realise what a profound effect she had particularly in female vocalists.

Just gutted I couldn't get a ticket.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad she has re-emerged!
    She's a singular artist.
    My first missus was a huge fan, so her music elicits many memories.
    Good on her!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.