Katana? Really?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Apr 3, 2019.

1. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I did get $140 for my Katana 50 and paid $190 but it took a year to sell it. Don’t miss it at all.

bftfender likes this.
  2. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Lots of hate for a great little amp.

I love my Katana - it's not got the perfect bluesy tube tone I've been searching for for decades, it doesn't have the most powerful effects processing on the planet, etc. But for as inexpensive as it is, it sounds wonderful, and in a matter of about 10 seconds I can dial in any tone (or any close approximation of a tone) that I want, not to mention if you need more flexibility you can have it emulate every boss pedal that exists with computer tweaking.

Its ease of use, decent enough tone, flexibility, volume (I love the multiple power settings) and great price make it my go-to practice amp, and it sounds good enough that I mic it up when I play out every week.

If you don't like the cleans, do some research online, there are a few neat tricks where Boss has made it react similarly to a tube amp. For example, if you turn the gain down but the master and volume up, then use the gain and your guitar's volume knob, you can get a wonderful, bluesy, responsive ALMOST tube-like feel.

And I paid I think $175 for mine new. The tube amps I'm looking at are 3-5 times that, not to mention the pedalboard I'd have to build to make up for the effect.

And hey, at least it's not Line 6 :p

CNG232, markfowler54, beagle and 4 others like this.
  3. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I haven't gigged with mine yet but I already have had 200 bucks worth of fun with it. We are not talking about a big investment here. If it doesn't work for you, that is ok too. Find something you like and go with that.

The notes you play are way more important than the sound of the amp but I am certain I will get usable live tone from the Katana when and if I ever use it live.

Dan

markfowler54 and Treadplatedual like this.
  4. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

I love Roland products and my favorite amp for practice is a Roland 405. But it is simple and takes pedals well. The Katana is just too busy for me and, I just want to turn my amp on have it sound good and not have to fiddle for hours or download sounds. Just my 2 cents.

popthree likes this.
  5. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I have a little fender champion 40 and it has surprised me. At first I was monkeying with the channel 2/ modeling side and I didnt like it much, but if I just stay on ch1 which is a sort of BF maybe twinish type thing, and use a touch of reverb, its not bad at all. Quite a pretty voiced amp actually. It wont take over for a good valve amp but not a bad grab and go #2

I also tried a katana and wasnt real fond of it. Thought it sounded ok at low volume but as I dialed up the noise it got cold and sterile to my ears.

Geo likes this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

think it sounds good, but it's not a sound I'd want

7. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

I keep hearing "resale" value tossed around in numerous threads, and I agree it is ONE factor that should be taken into account (unless you're like me and never resell anything). That said - if you paid $200 for a Katana 50 - which is what I paid for mine - and it losses 1/2 it's value "out of the box", then you'll lose $100 when you resell. If you pay $899 for a Hot Rod George Benson Edition - which is what I paid for mine - how much do you have to resell it for in order to only lose the same $100? Does anyone really think they're gonna get $799 for the Hot Rod on resell? I know I don't.

So let's say the resell value of the Hot Rod is 3/4 of it's original price. Awesome. Seems fair. I'll get $674.25 when I sell it! I've now "lost" $224.75. Which loss is greater - the Katana at $100 or the Hot Rod at $224.75?

I'd say the Katana (at least on the 50) is a MUCH better gamble than the Hot Rod when it comes to resell value. I'd rather loose $100 than well over twice that on the Hot Rod.

That said, I did just "upgrade" to my first tube amp by pulling the trigger on the Hot Rod GB yesterday. I think I'm gonna love it. The Katana 50 becomes my backup amp (replacing a VERY crappy Silvertone amp I got for free). I "like" the Katana very much, but I don't love it. I think it will be perfect in it's new role. I do VERY MUCH like the Acoustic setting on the amp!

8. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Funny--I was in a store this weekend and saw a Katana 50 too. I didn't play it but--as is my habit--picked it up to test its weight. It was ridiculously light. It was like lifting a sandwich.

By the way, this has to be the most negativity towards these amps I've ever seen. Usually, the praise is effusive. I can see myself buying a cheap used one some day just out of curiosity.

rze99 and brookdalebill like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think that if you do get one, you’ll like it.
    It’s intuitive to use, has plenty of power, and is incredibly versatile.
    I bought my used Katana 100 1-12 for $150.
    I see 50 watters on CL as low as $125.
    Great amps for cheap, IMO.

10. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I have a Katana 100, and I like it. I don't use the editing, I liked the sound at the store of the "crunch" channel with the gain at about 10:00 - 12:00. A little reverb and that's it. It's a loud, cheap, decent sounding amp. Does it set my world on fire with passion? Nope. But it gets the job done.

11. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I have a 100 and have gigged it a bit. I think it sounds pretty good to great at home, where you can tweak the settings based on the guitar, the room, etc., especially if you can connect to the computer. Gigging (standard classic rock cover band with 2 guitars, bass, drums), not so much. I had hoped to make my stage setup simpler and lighter by dropping the tube amp, full pedalboard, multiple cables, etc. My idea was to use the six button footswitch with the Katana to have several preset sounds (clean, edge of breakup, distortion, etc.) that I could switch between, with one of the buttons as a boost. Somehow in a live band environment I could never get the right combination of settings, either a preset was too loud, too quiet, too fuzzy, too clean, or too thin. And it wasn't easy to tweak on the fly. I enjoy playing around with it at home, but I went back to my trusty Deluxe Reverb with a pedalboard for live gigs.

12. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Bought my 100 last year for 305 $, i really like it, maybe its far from tube amp but it has rich tones

13. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

try any of the Bugera amps. I have 3 and no need for anything else.

14. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I was saving up for a Fender 68 CDR, when I bought my Katana 50. The Katana is lighter, cheaper and makes for a better Grab & Go amp. I like the sound of both. The Katana 100 is becoming very popular among both young guitar players and old steel guitar players. They finally have a light weight clean amp. Steel players tend to live on the Clean and Acoustic channels. I have replaced my Katana 100 speaker with an Eminence Basslite speaker, dropping the weight to just under 30 lbs, while taking the edge off of the highs.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lots of hate? The Katana is the most hyped amp there is on the internet. There has been more than one user I've seen on this website that does almost nothing but post about how all other amps are dead cause the Katana is the best thing out there.

It's also easy to cherry pick the weight thing either way. You can find some tube amps in the same size range as the Katana 100 that weigh 40lbs, but you can also find tube amps in that same size range that weigh within a pound of the Katana 100. These 40lb tube amps have a lot more steel and heavy wood in their construction, that's all.

Is there anything wrong with the Katana? Probably not. Is it weird it's the greatest thing since sliced bread while stuff like the Mustang is considered horrible? Yes IMO.

16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Why didn’t they name it the Katona?

17. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've had a 100 for a while now. It sounds good and with a lot of fiddling I can get some great sounds.

I bought a Marshall DSL1 recently and into a 12" greenback it makes me smile without much fiddling, but it has nowhere near the versatility the Katana has. I really wish they had things like the Katana when I was young and learning to play! It truly is an exceptional amp that one can gig with, play at low volumes, get an amazing array of effects pedals using FX Floorboard. It's amazing, and it does almost everything really good. I haven't found anything that is as versatile and still good.

markfowler54 likes this.
  18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Perhaps it's just that my ear isn't good enough to hear how bad my Katana sounds but I'm having an awful time hearing that. I'm also not much on comparing one amp to another my take on it being that if the Katana sounds good it is good and if my other amps sound good then they're good as well and I just don't see how either amp can effect the other when it comes to that. The point is that solid state technology these days has reached the state of the art where just about all of the quality solid state amps deliver as promised. They offer a tonal pallet that is almost infinite and if you're not getting the bloom, sag, dynamics etc. that you're looking for then my guess is that it has a lot more to do with operator problems than the gear itself.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    The Angle likes this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's no operator effort required to tune bloom/sag/dynamics on lots of amps, you just turn them on and they're great. Lots of people are happy to make the tradeoff to have less than infinite possible tones to not worry about tuning the amp with a computer. I'd rather correct the operator error problems between me and the guitar, especially when technique on the guitar already takes the guitar to near infinite different tonal places without ever having to adjust the amp.

I think that is where a lot of the disconnect happens.. it's just two camps of players.

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

All true and to each his own with my only point being that there is no point in blaming the amp because of personal preferences.:)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.