Katana Mk2, same tone, more functionality, sweet

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 4, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I already said that if you don't want to use the deep functionality of the amp, it works fine! That's what you are saying too.
    It's a good sounding amp. I have played several gigs with it. If I were broke, not a gearhead guy, or just not that particular, I would be ok with using it like that.

But it HAS much more capability - 8 presets, 50+ Effects, and many, many more amp models available when you do a deeper dive. THAT functionality is not very useful live, or even in rehearsals, because you can't touch even 10% of what the amp can do from the top panel.

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

OH wait, I now realize your problem. YES, pedals generally have a LOT more adjustability than just "level". Have you ever seen an effects pedal?

3. oceanblue

oceanblue Guest

Not real experienced with pedals, so I asked ;)

4. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I take the opposite view. I'm about to buy the 100 mkII, on the basis that 90% of what I need can be done by dialling in the tones on the amp itself and then accessing those settings from the footswitch.

Having said that, the computer side of it looks very user-friendly... to the point that it looks like a lot of fun to play around with. (Not quite sure how people adjust their pedals on the fly... apart from on/off.)

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Same here except for one problem....most of what i need to tweak, and thats very little, changes from room to room and i cannot know what it will need at the gig. I use very little in the way of effects and generally use ONE amp model the whole nite. That said, again, what little i need never turns out to be tweaked to work at the gig and then i am stuck all nite with anywhere from one to several things i want to change but can't. I think anyone who plays out will tell you that nothing ever sounds the same at the gig as i did at home and that u have to retweak things at the gig. That's not my problem based on what i THINK would happen, it's what happened every time out with the katana. My GT100 has everything available at the amp and i always have to tweak a bunch of things for the room and mix as i always have from my first time out in the 70 with tube amps. I bought the katana against my better judgement knowing the way it works and hoped i could work around it but i should have listened to my original thought. Now, if i played only at home i could see it. You could even leave it plugged into the PC, which i did at home. But even then i found that obtrusive compared to twisting amp knobs.

6. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Ah... I think I've woken up. By 'twisting amp knobs', do you mean that the physical knobs on the Mustang control the parameters after the layer buttons have revealed them on the screen? I know that's a basic question, but maybe I should check out some You Tube demo's and study the manual again.

At first glance (and the Sweetwater demo) the Katana seemed easier to dial in... this might cause me to rethink.... not too big to admit I was wrong! :rolleyes:

7. fender4life

I mean that i am able to do anything i want at the amp (my fender GT100) w/o a PC app. There are just too many times with the katana that i was stuck with some setting that wasn't working for me and I could not change it at a gig because it was only changeable at the amp. It was the most frustrating experience i've had with any amp i've owned. But thats me....maybe u will feel different as many other do. But that aside i just came to really dislike the basic character of the amp so there were more reasons than the settings issue that drove me to sell it. Either reason would have been enough tho.

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I hate to burst your bubble friend, but I believe that many of those bands we saw at FillmoreWest and Winterland used some sort of Fuzztone between guitar and amp, as well as their wah-wahs and Echoplexes. I was there too! I Went to Bill Graham shows nealrly every weekend for many years.

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I believe that the Katana has the ability to store at least 4 user sounds for later recall. Wouldn't you tweak those at home using the app, and then store them, and then wouldn't that be enough for gigs?
    I sold my Kat 50, and got a Kat Mini, Mustang LT25, and THR10C (actually two of each), 'cause they sound and feel better at the low volume levels I use at home. And I've devised a way, with an ABY box and Y cables, to use any combination of all 5 together for a huge and spacious sound at low volume with each set for a slightly different delay time, which is the only effect I really use. My next step is a second LT25, and I have the THR10Cs about three feet apart, and I'll have the two LT25s in-between and the Kat Minis on top of them, for perfect symmetry. Right now, I have a GT40 under the left Kat Mini, but I never turn it on. It's only there as a stand for the left Kat, lol.
    DSCN0975.JPG

10. VikinginLA

VikinginLA Tele-Meister

I love my Katana...I get sounds out of it that rivals both my Marshall (that i absolutely LOVE) and my silverface Pro reverb. With an expression pedal and the 6 button footswitch you can access plenty of everything you would ever need, assuming you have set up your patches in the tone studio beforehand:)

11. fender4life

Thats not the point. The point is you can't develop a tone at home then expect it to sound right at a gig. There are endless posts about that all over the web, so it's not just me. Maybe u r a home player and therefore u wouldn't realize that? But thru more amps than i care to remember tube or otherwise, i never found that settings i use at home work in a band mix. Literally almost never. Now yes, u can adjust the basic stuff on the katana on the front panel, but with the katana i had to do deep editing to get anything near what i wanted from it and part of that would be unattainable on the front panel. For example if i had a patch with the para or graphic EQ in it, which most of my patches had. I would do a bunch of parches but none were ever good enough playing out somewhere and i'd have to go home and try and imagine what it needed then do that and go to the next event and hope it got close. It was miserable. Took me numerous times out b4 i got anything close to what i wanted, and because i only play out a few times a year these days it takes months to get what can with my GT in minutes at a gig/jam. I get close to what i want with my GT every time out in a few minutes of tweaking and then once the set starts i'll realize it needs a bit f this or that and I'll reach over and twist a knob and within a song or 3 it's great and i never have to touch it the rest of the nite. Same exact procedure i went thru when i was a tube guy. And thats just amp tones. Went thru a lot of the same with effects. I could write a book on the wackiness of the katana I when it comes to using effects live. It was comical. The II is a bit better but i'd still have issues.

12. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Well, I'm open to the idea that the Fender might be easier to use and sound better, but it does all sound like a refusal to even contemplate the simple expedient of taking a phone (with Katana app) to a gig, to make fine adjustments, rather than it being any fault of the amp. I'm guessing that's what any gigging Katana user does.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but as you say, you just didn't like the Katana anyway - and obviously, people who do like it take the adjustment of it in their stride.

Anyway, the GTX is on the way, so I'll probably dive in at that stage, with the benefit of testing that before making a decision. Thanks for the discussion.

13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

There is no phone app, only Boss Tone Studio for PC.

14. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

That's dumb. Does Tone Studio not even work on a tablet?

15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Sure, early analog effects, but I guess I meant no digital or attempts to not use tubes.

Dude, my bubble is intact, I too went to over 100 shows and at once had all the posters for those shows. We always had a ride from my friend's dad Dave Black, the drummer for the Dorsey Bros, Joe Pass, Charlie Parker, Ella Fitzgerald, and Duke Ellington, plus many more, he put that career on hold to raise his almost out of control son,,, what a wild teen he was. Dave Black was an incredible drummer. Look him up on YouTube or Google.

We must have been to some of the same shows. Did you see Black Sabbath and the Jamesgang show? It was on an off night, I think Tuesday.
    Sabbath's first American show.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  16. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Been looking at reviews all day, of the Mustang GT and the Katana and every single one of those who expresses a preference, prefers the Katana. I only bother watching guys whose opinions appear to be unblemished by endorsement.

The Aussie 'intheblues' guy, Shane, LOVED his GT100 a year or so ago, but more recently says the Katana II wipes the floor with it - says it sounds more 3-dimensional. He does a good demo of the Katana 100, having built all the tones from the amp, without the use of the computer. And another video showing how to build a patch. Looks nice and easy - the BOSS Tone Studio graphics are very nice (I'm a graphic designer).

And yet...... in spite of all that, I'm still drawn towards the Mustang; one of the reviewers who preferred the Katana, did say he LOVED the Mustang's cleans and reverbs.

And yet again.... I go to the GT amps section of the Fender forum and all you hear about is the dropout problem.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  17. Stratguy70

Stratguy70 TDPRI Member

This is a case of try things and judge for yourself.
    I find that gear popularity works like a school of fish - one turns and the majority follow.
    Once you dive into what yhe Fender GT can do , I find it " wipes the floor" with the over hyped Katana that doesn't even have a tablet or phone app!
    Haha! Whatever. I don't believe alot of the reviews on those sites.. don't forget that company employees can leave reviews too!

18. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="fender4life, post: 9638994, member: 74430"... I could write a book on the wackiness of the katana I when it comes to using effects live...[/QUOTE]

You nearly have.

VerySlowHand likes this.
  19. fender4life

So true, and it makes perfect sense to me because having owned both i saw the GT get slammed from the start and never recopver and the katana just the opposite. Yet after 3 years with the GT and 1 to 2 with the katana i definately tested the bounds of thier abilities and to me as with you, IMO it wipes the floor with the katana in a lot of ways. I WILL however give the naysayer that at first it wasn't great. But it got a LOT better with updates. But because the school of fish was already pointed in a particular direction theres no turning them. You can turn a tiny percentage of fish with open minds who follow only till they see something that suggest to they they might be better off swimming alone. And those are the ones that came to the party later on and love the GT. It's by no means perfect but compared to the katana it's damn close to my ear.

Stratguy70 likes this.
  20. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

This is difficult for a prospective buyer. There's no getting away from the fact that the GT is tainted; well done for sticking with it (Fender for life, of course), but reputation is as valid a factor as bias and opinion, when trying to decide whether or not to buy one. Not sure I buy the school of fish analogy in this case... are all those people who experienced the infamous drop-out problem imagining it and has Fender definitively fixed it?

I'm still on the fence. For my uses the BOSS looks a more user-friendly proposition, but I keep thinking 'Fender tones', which the GT seems to nail (why wouldn't it?) and it has a looper, which might mean I sell the Ditto and have one less thing on the floor... OCD: I like a tidy floor. Low GT secondhand values feel like both an opportunity and a risk. Will the GTX put the GT's reputational issues to bed? Will a meteorite hit the earth on Tuesday? Will my head roll off before then? :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.