Katana Mk2, same tone, more functionality, sweet

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 4, 2019.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I suppose, but just saying thats as hard as i go and most of what i play is more MOR classic rock. Things like petty, doors, zep, santana, etc etc. Personally i don't consider VH metal because while they use some heavy tones they stay much more catchy and melodic than metal bands. IMO the songs themselves are more catchy pop tunes than metal, but they do it with heavier tones than typical for that. I think thats why they were so popular. They took the best elements from all sorts of music and blended them. Many of the best bands of all time did that. Some called zep metal but not many metal bands wrote things like over the hills and far away, going to california, bron yr aur, the rain song, tangerine, etc etc. Thats why i loved 70s rock so much. Bands would put out albums with all sorts of influences. To be honest i can't stand metal. Then again, i'm not a kid either, i'm a geezer.

2. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Yeah I dont understand it. For the most part my gig tone is always worked out already. I like the way I sound at rehearsal, so why would I want to sound any other way?

I understand dialing in some eq based on the room, but those that say they don’t have access to stuff in the katana at GIGS because of computers are using it COMPLETELY wrong.

oceanblue and ASATKat like this.
  3. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

The 50 lacks the features that I would want. I think a discounted/used KT100 MK1 might be the sweet spot real soon.

jimash likes this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Yes, soon used Kats everywhere, scraping living on the streets.

5. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

In one of the videos, they said the amp models are not specific amps; just a style with different characteristics in the variation mode.

rxtech likes this.
  6. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

I don't see the use in having a different take on the same tone wtih that extra button. You could find taht tone by tweaking the EQ.

BUT I see HUGE possibilities with 5 effects vs 3 at all times, and ease of adjusting them.
    Not sure if I would go that route, or like others have said, pick up a 100 mk1 when they go on sale/used.

Have a MK1 50 now, but the 100 seems to be the better buy that I couldn't afford at the time. Now it could be easy picking.

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

There is something about the 50 that puts out the best killer blues tone IMO.
    I think it's the speaker that gives the tone it's final transducer makeover. It's not a huge difference, they all sound great, but the 50 just delivers solid blues and great warm small amp tones that are their own unique sound.

Oh, this is also a mild anti fx advertisment. The little amp shines with just verb.

8. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

I think the Fender Champion 50xl now gives the Katana Mkii a real run for its money, being 100 euros cheaper!

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like my Katana but the slippery suckers confound me trying to get settings right. I guess I'll always be anal- ogue. I like it as much as my Princeton.

10. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the fact that you can use so few of the effects at the same time is a dealbreaker.

11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

So wait... you're telling me I have to LISTEN to it to see whether I like it? Dangerous precedent. o_O

12. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Don't they both have the same speaker? 50 watt is 1x12, 100 watt is 1x12 OR 2x12.

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  14. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

15. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

I thought that was the most significant change with the new model tbh. My biggest issue with the previous model (which I've used and loved for a year and a half now) was that you could only choose Drive OR Modulation, or Delay OR Miscellaneous Effect; in fact that's why I went back to pedals with the Katana.

The new one model changes that poor knob setup for *concentric knobs*, which means you can in fact have all five available effects types going at once now. That is so significant that I feel I could run no pedals now, if I wanted.

[​IMG]

...of course I don't want to, but the point stands. o_O

But yeah, I'm intending to upgrade my MkI to a MkII as soon as I find one in the shops. Haven't made up my mind if I'll be trading in my previous one, or if I'll keep the MkI around for an acoustic/synth/stereo/spare amp and just buy a MkII on its own. The idea of having a brighter, more Fender-voiced clean channel is *very* appealing to me, especially for the times I'm traveling light (open mics and things) and I just want to run light breakup I can clean up with the volume knob.

Very excited to try one.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

My thoughts exactly. If I forget about the fact that is HAS all that stuff under the hood, it's still a pretty good amp (for cleans, YMMV), though I have to admit. I did a couple of shows where I set up specific weird presets for a couple of songs and I have to admit it worked fine. But I've been in other situations where I needed to dial down the delay levels, up the treble, etc. on the fly and it's just useless.

17. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

only five effects at once? pass.

18. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Why is it useless? How is it different from just using the panel control knobs, like on any other amp? Not everything need to be a preset saved.

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Because for each effect you only get one control you can adjust (one knob per effect) - and no indication what parameter you are adjusting. Works fine for a Phase90 or maybe a Reverb, not so great with a digital delay or an OD.

Then for each preset, yes you can change gain and tone using the knobs, but you have to remember to re-save your preset before you go to a different preset, otherwise when you come back you are always back at square one. WAAYY too much to think about on a stage, and even too much to think about at rehearsal. It's a multi-effects without a screen, just a few knobs and a couple of LEDs.

Digital Larry likes this.
  20. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I'm just trying to understand. The panel knobs only adjust the effect level, no other parameters. So I guess I'm thinking at that point it is no different from any other amp? Assuming you are using just the panel, not a preset. You can adjust EQ, gain, and the effect level of the three effects etc you are using, say OD, reverb, delay. You wouldn't normally have access to the other more detailed adjustments on a standard amp, or pedal would you? Or can pedals have those detailed adjustments?
    Now if you always use 4 or more effects/pedals then yea, that won't work ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.