Katana Mk2, same tone, more functionality, sweet

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 4, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Clint, no one uses the app in live settings. The app is for studio tweaking, not to use on gigs.

Sweetwater ia asking $229 for the Mk2 50.

2. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

No, imo clips need to be here, this is where the critical discussion is going on and this is where I would like to hear rig clips. You know I have a ton of Twanger clips and I could post them here but I become the only one that does that, but no one responds so I feel isolated and exposed , It's like people prefer the bragging of their rig over clips demoing their great tone, and it usually is great tone they have. Strange.

Ya know what eye mean?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Keep in mind your username has the word 'Kat' in it and you've started another thread about Katanas, which you refer to as 'Kat' in the thread.

Maybe the person with Fender is his username feels the same way discussing Katanas with a Kat. But I can't say, as he is not me.

4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I guess you're 100% right, but it really was just a joke, hence the "lol".

So why do you highlight backporch playing in your name? Imo, most user names seem to have a bit of humor in them.

It's all good.

backporchmusic likes this.
  5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Well, that refers to fender guitars and was also just made up quickly just to register. Not a lot of reasoning behind it. Amp wise i'm totally open to anything. but as guitars go fender and squier are what i usually prefer and have for decades. Before i got into modeling i was mostly a marshall combo guy. Not for the marshall sound but they just worked for me. I'd use anything that has good touch and a tone within a reasonable ballpark of my preferences. I couldn't care less about the name on an amp as long as it does certain things i need. The katana did ONE thing for me and thats just not enough so i left the building. It was a good one thing, but one ain't enough.

6. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

So you are a Marshall tone person?
    Metal, hard rock?

Btw, your name is cool, my name also didn't take much pondering, I went with the rhyme.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I hang out on my back porch, not my front porch, so there it is.

I think for what I want, Fender delivers with the TM amps, except for affordability. I have never been able to get my Kat quite dialed in and just want a plug and play.

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Hey, whatever tone your mojo rocks to. =)

There are many roads to great tone,

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I guess we just have different approaches? I don't feel that because a device has deep capabilities I must use them. And in fact, I gravitate to gear that just works for me without much thought or fuss. To me the Katana falls squarely in that bucket.

I don't understand at all why you think tube amps are tweaked like crazy for stage use but the Katana isn't? Seems like a whole heap of confirmation bias to me, but that's just a guess.

But then I think the Katana (which I no longer own) has great touch-sensitivity.

Between my three bands I play out at least twice a month. But that has taught me the opposite it seems. Tone just doesn't need that much tweaking. Or alternatively, I dial everything in as much as possible to the same sound anyway. As long as it has:

-sufficient volume and headroom
    - ability to breakup at that volume
    - great touch dynamics
    - and no frequencies that drive me crazy

. . . I'm good. I can get that from a DRRI, HRD, Jazz Chorus, Tonemaster Deluxe, AV60, Katana 100, Marshall Studio Vintage . . . I could go on. Some make it harder to get that combo for me (Twin, AC30, JCM800) so I gravitated away from those.

Interestingly, I think a Peavey Bandit can sound great and have really nice dynamics. They are heavier than I prefer so I don't lug one around anymore.

Different strokes I guess.

codamedia, Bill and ASATKat like this.
  10. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I don't have a back porch, but I do have a front porch with an acre of wood-fenced in grass/plants/flowers, plus dogs and cats and genuine Deadhead hippie good guy buddies in the other house.

Our different porch polarities could be the reason for our different tone tastes.

11. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I guess I just see the Katana as a plus, I can save 4 preset tones to use in different circumstances, and if I want, can just use the knobs to tweak, and if I only want EQ, reverb, and that's it, then that's all I use. Very simple and straight forward. All the other options are there, but doesn't mean you need to use them all, all the time. I can generally just use the knobs, etc to adjust a chosen boost for example, reverb, volume, and EQ, simple and easy.

fos1 and ASATKat like this.
  12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Funny, I'm 65 and old school about amp tone. Back in the 60s I was imprinted with pre digital fx tone from hundreds of hours at the Filmore West and Winterland listening and loving pure amp tones with just minimal analog fx like wah and tape delays and spring reverb, and that's what I'm chasing "sort of" with the Katana. I'd be striving for those tones regardless if I had a Fender digital or Kemper digital or Helix, Fractal.

I live by KISS (keep it simple stupid)

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

This!!

14. fender4life

No, variety based mostly in classic rock and blues. No metal or anything harder then VH.

15. fender4life

Many aren't, and those are the ones most don't rave about. The best of the tube amps ARE, and thats where a good designer comes in. I designed and built my own for years and if you knew how much time i had into tweaking them it would scare you. Yet the best i could get wasn't good enought. Itl;s not easy mainly due to your ears and burnout and such. The reason a lot of people go thru tube amps like water is the fact that mosrt are NOT fully tweaked for stage use. The designer not only had to be very talented but he has to fully understand the finest details of tone and which things are important to most people with ears. Those amps require dtone controls only to fine tune the room. My katana was a nightmare because NEVER once was i able to be real happy with the tone playing outwith whats available on the amp. I COULD get it tweaked far better, but not w/o the pc app so i could choose from one of the sneaky amps if none of the ones loaded in the ew allowed slots was working out. Or to use one of the EQs if the tones on the amp couldn't get me what i needed which was the usual case. Anyways, i don't expect you to understand because it obviously works for you. The only thing u need to understand is i am not you.

16. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Yes you can use a computer to tweak things more deeply, but if you are a professional, you already have your deep dialing done BEFORE you get to the gig. If you don’t, you’re an amateur

17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I've always thought of VH as an early big metal tone. Not a blues tone.

But Eddie was always a great blues player with a small Fender amp. Too bad he didn't go the blues route like Gary Moore did for at least a few recordings.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I played a pickup gig where this other guitar player was so hung up with dialing in his tone that he was disconnected from the band. Never again I said. And all he was dialing in was a sweet little Rivera combo, a plug and play amp. So strange.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. v__k

v__k TDPRI Member

Is there any info about the "Variation" on the different amp models?

If this one can do a decent Fender blackface, I might be tempted...

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am really intrigued by this notion that deep dialing is required for any amp (tube or digital). Most amps that have enough power for the context work well in most rooms, in my experience.

blowtorch and ASATKat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.