Katana Mk2, same tone, more functionality, sweet

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 4, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I looked at a few videos and I thought Andertons came out of the gate with great tones and playing and explanations of the cool upgrades, the tone has been left alone.

I really like the upgrades,

fendrguitplayr and warrent like this.
  2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Ehh....seems like the same issues i had with it will still be there. Not nearly enough improvement IMO. It still remains an amp with tons of effects and EQ and all that which is worthless at a gig w/o being connected to a PC. I just think if u are going to put a lot of effects and tones in a box it's a real head scratcher as to why you would only make it available on a computer. I find that insane. I just couldn't get past that with mine/

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

MilwMark likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Fiddling with your phone to manipulate your amp on stage puts you at one with your audience who is capturing the experience on their phones.

I think these amps are designed more for the proverbial "bedroom player" than someone who plays gigs regularly.

jimash likes this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The amp is eminently simple and useable out of the box.

Why on earth would it need to be connected to a computer ever, let alone to play a show?

It is the exact opposite with Boss gear IMO. Tuned and tuned well for stage.

6. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I was never on board with the Katana craze, but this MKII 100 looks like a real winner. You can dial in more tone with the amp knobs and footswitch than before, with less need of the app. Lots of other extra features as well. Just curious if the price will drop a bit after it has been out for awhile, did the first run of the Katana line ever get discounted over time?

7. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

If I recall correctly, the price went up $30 fairly quickly after the introduction. But I may be hallucinating . . . again!

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

My thoughts, exactly, fender4life.

When it comes to amps, less is more, IMHO. Give me Volume, Eq and Reverb, in a WYSIWYG format, and I'm good to go.

9. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Putting aside opinions on tones, I’m kinda in two minds about modelling amps like the Katana.

On one hand I like the idea that there are loads of sounds available, but actually I always end up using one slightly gritty tone that I can clean up and control by adjusting the guitar controls, so that in the long run all these fancy amp models just do the digital equivalent of gathering dust.

On the other hand if they did modelling amps that did that one tone really really well, then I’d be hankering for more amps - like I do with my valve amps...

Guess I just can’t win...

For what its worth if I was staring out now I’d almost certainly be going Katana. I might even start looking out for cheaply mark 1s that people are replacing. Now how can I get that in without it being noticed;-)

Dr Improbable likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a quick look for Katanas on ebay and seems there are older series 3 Katanas and a bunch of different models. I'm over it even before I try to work out how to use everything on one. Feels like they only came out yesterday and now it takes a week of research to learn about all the superseded models/ functions etc.

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Because 90% of whats available as settings go with the katana are only available when u hook it up to it;s app on a pc. Personally i did NOT fiond the amp tuned well for live use in ways too longwinded to go into. Sure, it was usable but no one wants just usable. If that were the case we'd all own a peavey bandit and never want anything else. I could write a book on why you should be able to adjust effects and amp settings etc live past the few available ion the panel ! Yeah, you can adjust the main tone controls and some effects settings, but if something needs deeper editing at a gig which inevitably all digital amps do, you're screwed. I already went thru that many times with mine and it's one of the reasons i sold it aside from touch response that wasn't what i felt it should be. Tube amps are tweaked to the Nth degree for you by the designer already, and the tone of a good tube amp is designed to be optimal onstage. Then the controls are there for fine tuning which is all thats needed with a well designed tube amp. Digital amps never are and you need to edit them to fix tone issues that crop up at a gig and the regular tone controls available at a gig aren't enough to fix. Thats my experience and if it's not yours, good for you. But it didn't work for me and every time out i had to go home try and rectify tone issues at home and hope it worked for the next outing which it usually wouldn't. If fully editable live it would take a few minutes during setup, but no tweaking you do at home ever translates live. If you gig you know that. I rarely do anymore so for me it's a long process because it's can be months before i play out again. My fender is fully tweakable live and i always am able to fix room issues and adjust effects that aren't sounding right on the spot.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

That's why I like the Mojo Diamond. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the Binary Amp to go with the Binary IR because the simple MD works so well.

20190918_195939.jpg

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Really? I don't know where you got that info about using a phone to edit while you're on stage. That would be stupid. Everything you need to adjust the amp is on the front panal. Only an amateur would try to deep edit on stage. And that goes for every version of digital gear.

As far as using it in a pro setting, it's great, being pro is all about your musical ability. I don't play heavy metal nor need a wall of amps to put it out there.

I play blues, blues/rock, and jazz. The volume is just fine for pub size venues, wedding parties, corporate events. If the stage was bigger and needed sound reinforement, there is direct out to the board or just put a good mic in front of the speaker. Jeff Beck used a tiny Fender Pro Jr, in front of 10,000 people with a mic.

I myself, with my Kat 50, don't see the need for these Mk2 upgrades but I do have "wants" desires. I probably wont make the switch anytime soon though.

MilwMark likes this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I was kind of kidding, but they have Android and iPhone apps for the Katana that can adjust parameters via Bluetooth.

I do think these amps are marketed toward the home player more than the pro or prosumer player but they're good enough to be used beyond the bedroom.

15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I don't use many fx, I prefer good solid amp tone, reverb, and a little delay. I do have a top shelf Red Witch PentaVocal tremolo, a Flashback dly, and my original Hermida Zendrive 2, I use the trem and dly but have had zero need to use my Zendrive 2. With my Fender Supersonic 68 Deluxe I absolutely love the Zendrive, it gets me right into the Texas Flood camp. But the Katana can also get that tone, in some ways better, and far more "colors" of that tone. So my Zen patiently waits for its tube amp forever home.

My brain, my fingers, my ASAT Special, and my little Kat is all I need.

16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Sort of a bad joke imo =).

You are correct in that digital combos are designed for the home studio. I have problems with calling it a bedroom amp. To me "bedroom amp" says it's not a pro amp and person. Total BS imo. It becomes what you want it to be. The tone is excellent to me and I always get complements on the tone, and my "different" way of playing, but we're talking tone.

Call me lazy, call me poor, call me older, but the Kat just works for me.

17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Hard to discuss my reality with a person called Fender4life lol.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Post audio clips, otherwise the pics don't mean a thang,,,

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Talk IS CHEAP, post audio clips,

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Twanger forum, just about every week...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.