Katana info

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by '51 geezer, Jan 17, 2020.

1. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I have a chance to buy a Boss Katana 50 for $150 U.S. They are new on Musician's Friend for $229, so here are my questions:

1.) Is this really a good price

2.) Will the amp satisfy my need for a decent "tube" or "valve" sound?

3.) Anybody have experience with this model that can give me some user info?

2. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

My friend brought one of those to our jam last week. He's very pleased with it and I was impressed. If had a good range of sounds, cleans were outstanding, drive sounds were good.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've had mine three years, I use it for everything, it does what I want it to do. The price is ok. What info do you want?

aging_rocker and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

My bandmate's got a Katana 50 originao - rhythm guitarist in my band. He's happy and it's light and got a full suite of tones and effects. It takes a bit of fiddling. He's downloaded the factory upgrade via computer.

It's plenty loud and he's been able to get usable tones clean-crunch with tweaking. Headroom is enough for live work.

Does it sound exactly like a tube amp? No. It's got it's own sound and good reverbs, effects and so on. He can get almost acoustic tones, and some good distortion, but it's not like my tube amp, clean or dirty.

The best way I can describe it, is it sounds like a recording of a tube amp - it's like every strum there's a ngggg sound as the preamp turns the power amp on. He likes it, it was cheap secondhand and light and one cable and footpedal. He's got 1/3rd in it he has in his Hotrod Deluxe and effects

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have the 100 1-12 version.
    It sounds great, and is also extremely versatile, light and dependable.
    What’s not to like?

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The only part I'd agree with is this. It has it's own sound. My band mates didn't realise I wasn't using my Princeton until I plugged my mandolin in.

7. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

I can't imagine you could find a better or more versatile amp for that price.. It might take some tweaking but the results would be worth it imo.
    If a better amp for the price could be found I don't know what it would be, maybe others know of something in that price range.. I'd like to hear what it is..
    I'd bet for 75$ more you could find a original model Kat 100 floating around out there..
    I have an original Kat100 and the only thing I would really like to have from the VII updates is the concentric pots they used for the FX and Delay/reverb pots.. Other than that there is nothing big about the change imo..

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  8. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

I paid $179.95 for mine new - but it was when they first came out and they were running specials on them. I suppose $150 is an ok price, but it's more than I would pay for another one if mine was stolen. The Katana was also the first amp I ever purchased. Not sure what that adds to the discussion, but I now have a Hot Rod Deluxe GB Edition and I prefer it over the Katana.

9. Dune736

Dune736 TDPRI Member

1) Yes, I would say its a good price.

2) Yes and no. While the Katana is a good sounding amp, it does not sound tube for me. It can get close, but it never got 100% there for me.

3) For what the Katana is, its a great amp. Loud enough to play a band setting, power rating knob makes it useful to play at home and the built in effects so you don't need a full pedal board to work out song ideas. Plus its very light. I ended up returning my MK2 cause i kind of got tired of tweaking the amp in the software. I think having to use a computer to chase the sound I wanted is what killed the amp for me. If you don't mind that, then I would say get it and you will be happy.

10. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

lol.. You prefer your GB HRD over the Katana.. ok.. Although I can't imagine why./sarc

11. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I gave $180 for mine new a few weeks ago. On close out since the MKII came out. I’d say that price is good if it’s in great shape. Otherwise I’ve seen them cheaper. Great little amp. I use mine at home for practice and have the 100 watt at church.

Just get past all the discussion and realize it’s not a $700 tube amp. It’s a $150 amp that sounds good. Dial in the right sound and the crowd won’t know.

graybeard65, Ron R and Tommyd55 like this.
  12. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Well said sir..

graybeard65 and Ron R like this.
  13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

It's a budget digital modeling amp that many regard as best in class.

Will it compare tonally to a $1000 tube amp? Nope. So it depends on what you want.

Imo it's a good beginners amp or for a gigging player on a tight budget. (Light, versatile, cheap).

I wouldn't buy one, because I value tone over versatility and I can afford nicer amps (wife may disagree on that last point).

14. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I bought one today. I was a big Blackstar ID TVP fanboy, but the Katana blew me away. Very responsive to picking dynamics - and in that respect it's pretty tube-like.

I've owned a couple of nice Fender tube amps, but these days I'd rather have solid state and some amp/cab/dirt pedals to play around with.

15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I got mine for $125 new, but only because I got in on the ground plus had a GC coupon. $150 is, as you noted, about $80 below the current selling price. So yes, it's a good price, if you like the amp.
    Only you can answer #2. I personally like the way the amp responds, and it feels very "tube-like" to me in that regard. Depending on the settings of course.
    I can't offer much beyond that, because, to be honest, I've never even hooked it to a PC to explore the "hidden amps" and such. I was able to find good basic sounds I like without diving in too deep.
    It is one LOUD little mother at the full 50, but I typically use it at the 5W attenuation just for home use, and even then it's still pretty loud.

16. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Also most likely will be sought after in 10 years and getting probably at least 5 times the current price (being conservative, I've seen a lot of so-called meh or budget gear get popular and grab crazy prices in retro).

17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Digital modeling amps going up in price? That's "interesting"

18. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Don't bet it won't. Especially one that doesn't require a tablet/smart phone to make adjustments.

19. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i doubt this very much.want to by a cybertwin?:) a vintage modern?

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  20. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I was tempted to buy one the other day on sheer impulse. I picked it up by the handle (my long-standing habit when checking out amps) and discovered that it was ridiculously light. I say again, ridiculously light.

beagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.