1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Katana Boost or Java Boost??

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by silentkid, Jul 17, 2005.

1. silentkid

silentkid Tele-Meister

I need a quality pedal to push my amps over the edge and I've been trying to choose between these two. On the one hand the transparent harmonic richness and added volume of the Katana sounds really good.

On the other hand that Voxy sort of treble boost tone sounds great too. I also like the idea of the original Mullard chips (I am, admittedly a sucker for things like that). However, buying two boosts seems excessive, especially at Keeley UK's ridiculous mark up.

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with these pedals?

2. andrew

andrew Tele-Holic

That Katana looks like it would be right up my alley also. If you get it, send some clips would you? ;)

3. Loobs

Loobs Tele-Holic

Greeting from a fellow ESSEX BOY!!

4. Ian Hooper

Ian Hooper TDPRI Member

Treble boosters create some really killer overdrive but if you really just want to push the front end of your amp I would buy the katana.

Ian

5. silentkid

silentkid Tele-Meister

Oh Lord, I need both. As I suspected all along :lol:

Hi, alright?
    Wish I could get that enthusiastic about Essex!

6. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Order them directly from Keeley US, or via eBay. I ordered my Keeley compressor directly via eBay, saved myself a bundle of cash and the package was marked suitably to let it pass through Customs without fuss.

Great pedals! Go for it. Get both.

:D Peter

7. jonny_frethead

jonny_frethead Tele-Meister

The Katana is a fantastic pedal for tele sounds. I use mine with my Asat into my Univalve and it is stunning....phat, clear, dynamic, warm and wonderful. Paired together with the Keeley compressor I get the best sound that I have ever produced. Also, Keeley's customer service is simply the best!

8. osz

osz TDPRI Member

Neither...

Fulltone Fat-Boost!

9. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

popping this one back up to the top...

...and giving big thumbs up to the Katana. best clean boost there is, does not alter the tone at all, just gives it a good whomp. pull the knob out and it gets a bit of grit which i love for good tone at low volume gigs. i've tried the sparkle drive, the sex drive, the Katana blows them away. the sex drive is too shrill for me. the second best clean boost is the Austone Soul O Stomp, but it will start to drive the amp harder and clip if you turn it up, which isn't a bad thing. lots of guys are using it just for that, but i like my old Blue Tube for that better. jmho, ymmv.

10. Jazzy Jay

Jazzy Jay Tele-Meister

Java

I picked up a barely used Java Boost last weekend and played it with the band tonight. My Marshall has never sounded as good as it did today. I'm not a pedal guy, but this little box is gonna make me build a pedalboard again. Now I need to find a good chorus pedal to keep the Java company. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

J.J.

www.6pack.be

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.