Katana, BC, Nextone - Dyna Drive

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Sean65, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Hi Guys,

I have a Roland Cube 40 and use a mix of the clean channel, Tweed Channel and the Dyna.

Im just wondering if the latest batch of newer amps have anything similar to the response characteristics of the Dyna mode of the Cube.

Can you play lightly and it cleans up or dig in for crunch?

Just curious as Im thinking of upgrading and I’m happy to stick with the Roland/Boss family of amps

Cheers
    Sean

2. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

In YouTube comparisons I have always preferred the Katana over the Cube. The Kat is a Swiss Army knife of great tones with no real need for deep editing. The speaker in my 50 is a killer speaker, again in comparison I have not heard a better matched speaker, but that's just my opinion.

As far as cleans riding the razors edge of distortions, yes, in every mode, although drive and brown modes lean towards the distortion. I go for the Fender/Two Rock kind of cleans school, maybe some Vox like tone too. I don't care at all how "close" I am to a perfect sim to the original tube amp. It just doesn't matter any more, these tones stand on their own.

I have an original Hermida Zendrive2 od pedal from back when it was mostly just Alfonzo assembling. With my Deluxe this pedal took me right in to Texas Flood tone. My Deluxe sounded much like a cranked Vibroverb, it was great tone. But I have had no desire to use the pedal with my Kat because it does SRV tone very well. But I really need to work with the pedal/amp more to be fair because the amp is pedal friendly and the pedal is top shelf.

I'm pretty much through with tube amps and their tendency of breaking down too many times. Now that the technology has met and in many ways surpassed the tube challenge.
    I would like to get a flagship tone machine and use the Kat in its acoustic mode as a clean powered amp. The results I've heard are very nice. A Kemper would be nice.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Tonetele and Sean65 like this.
  3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

After owning Roland Cube and Vox modelers, I've switched to Boss Katana's. I recently came across highly discounted Roland Blues Cube Hot's (30 watts). The price was really good and I wanted to like the amp, but it left me kind of flat. I do like and use the Katana's effects. I'm no longer happy with just having Reverb. Granted, I'm used to adjusting the Katana's, to get the sounds that I like.

For me, Tweed sounds are very easy to dial in on the Clean channel of the Katana. The Crunch sounds also sound very good to me. I haven't tried the Boss Nextones, yet. But I don't see me wanting to simulate the different types of power tubes. I'm basically a 6V6 and 5881 guy, and I have those tube amps. I just set the Katana next to my tube amps, and dial it in using the controls, without deep editing.

4. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Cheers guys.

Not sure which way I’m leaning at the moment.

Seem like there are a lot more low priced, low wattage tube amps on the market these days as well.

I’ll be back in London next week so I will try out a few amps while I’m there.

Sean

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I think the simple answer to your question is yes, the new amps are touch responsive when you set them that way.

Anacharsis, Sean65 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

Agreed. I love the Blues Cube Hot models, and all three (only two available in the U.S. now - the EL84 model was only for sale here for a brief run) have that touch sensitivity.

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I look at the Katana as the next better step in the evolution of the BC concept. But that's just my thoughts about it.

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I don't see Nextone being the next better version of Katana. The Nextone does an excellent job of copping the tube tones. What it doesn't do is become the chameleon capable of dialing in artist tones like the Kat, or not to the same extent. The Nextone will draw its fans too.

That's the difference imo, artist tone vs tube tone.

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sounds-wise I agree with you, but the (lack of) an interface ruins the Katana for me. If you're not gonna have an interface that you can use, why bother having 55 effects etc.?
    And the front panel sounds on the Katana are not that great. You HAVE to tweak it on a PC to get good sounds out of it.

10. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

If you're a plug and play kind of person like me there's no problem. If you gotta have real time access to 55 effects, does that mean you're going to constantly be hitting different pedals in the middle of Mustang Sally?

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well, I AM mostly a plug and play kind of guy. But you get in the room and you realize it's way too echoey / boomey so you go to turn off your delay / turn down the mids - ok, fine, but then you change to another patch and bang your delay is back on, back to the first patch and it's back on, etc. etc. And no visual reference for any of this.

Presets and no interface is no way to gig unless you're REALLY plug and play. On a Boss Me-80 you've got all the knobs, on a Headrush you've got a touchscreen. Katana - practically nothing.
    BTW I've used it for a year and gigged it a few times. I concede that I could get just about any sound I would need out of it. I even liked it enough that I built a new cabinet for it - but I have just got to be able to change settings the old fashioned way.

12. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Got pics of your cab?

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Well, you need the right tool for the job. Katana wouldn't be a good choice for a cover band with special tone recipes. I'm a blues jazz player, I could use one sound all night as a base, and add any effect from the front or my small four pedal board with 1+ effects, no crappe.

G&L ASAT Special to drive the whole thing.

14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

I get that, but I don't share that perspective. I think the BC is more master of fewer trades, while the Katana is jack of all. Both great products, but the BC works better for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.