1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

katana and od

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jdolecek48, Aug 6, 2020.

1. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

I have a Boss Katana 50. I'm a rockin/hard rock/metal kinda dude. What is your take on putting an overdrive pedal in front of the amp? yea I know it emulates all the boss pedals and such but i'm a tone freak and always searching for that ideal tone.....so tell me, what are your thoughts? overdrive? Booster?

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Kat 50 that I use with all kinds of OD and boost pedals, but I don't really play much in the way of very hard rock. But for 'moderate rock,' I think an OD pedal sounds great with one.

Since what's appealing to the individual with any one OD pedal vs. another, I don't think there's much point in suggesting any particular one.

3. jdolecek48

jdolecek48 Tele-Meister

does your overdrive pedal sound better than the included overdrive effects in the amp?

4. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

For about 50% or more of what I expect, IMO the OD pedal sounds better. The mids are more in the sweet spot, and the upper frequencies are crunchier, and it's a bit grittier sounding, in the right way for my taste.

There's really only one OD amp setting that I personally prefer with the Kat 50, and that gets used the other 50% of the time. It's the crunch amp type setting along with one of the built in boosts, and it produces more of an amp OD sound than my OD pedal does, but it's looser and less aggressive sounding (the highs sit in the background a bit).

...I also have a boost pedal, a DIY kit of the Catalinbread Naga Viper, and that gives a bit of a fairly tight higher gain sound (sort of more 'modern' IMO) in conjunction with the OD pedal, but it also makes the OD amp setting much more aggressive, but in a kind of ratty, dimed, boosted tube amp kind of way (more of an old school overdriven amp sound).

I'm sure that there's all kinds of combinations of pedal OD and/or amp OD that might suit any given individual. It just requires that you take the time to experiment.

I have more than a few higher gain distortion-type pedals that I have yet to try with the amp, simply because I don't really currently make those kinds of sounds. But since the Kat 50 does a good job when set to the clean amp type and used in conjunction with my OD pedals, I'd expect it to shine with the higher gain ones, too.

5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I set my Kat 100 1 x 12 to an on the edge of breaking up clean and use pedals for dirt. LOVE it.

6. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

what is stopping you from trying? Go for it...you already have what you need

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.