Katana 50 OR 5wTubeHead + 1x12 ext. cab ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ScotNL, May 11, 2019.

Tags:

Katana 50 or 5wTubeHead+1x12cab

1. Katana 50

58.3%
  2. 5wTubeHead+cab

41.7%
  1. ScotNL

ScotNL TDPRI Member

Hiho!

Have a Kustom Defender 5w. It has an 8" speaker. It's a little tube combo amp. I like its sound very much, just straight guitar into amp and thats it. Guitar is a Schecter C-1. Together they can be sweet and smooth and they can produce some real nice growl, too.

It's the tube tones I dig, I believe.

Want to expand beyond 8" speaker...not for volume, I play mostly at relatively low volumes...but for more rich warm and growly torn up tones.

Many good things are said about the Katana 50 so I was thinking about it.

But I dont know if maybe a 1x12 ext cab with my Kustom might be more satisfying.

The best answers are with my own ears at the music shop, I know. Just interested in your opinions though :)

What especially prompts me to post now though is listening to the Katana 50 samples at the site linked below. Each sample has also a straight line in version, no modeled effects ... I generally preferred the line in samples for having more presence...and not sounding somehow thin.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/boss_katana_50.htm

What do you think? What choice would you make?

A 1x12 cab or katana 50 are about my guitar budget right now.

Heard someone testing the katana 50 with a hollow body guitar (washburn) a while ago and it sounded really decent...less sure after listening to these samples though.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

First of all, you have got to play into an amp to feel the response to make any reasonable decision. Take your time and play different amps to hear the differences and how they respond to your playing and your guitars.

Mojo Brown likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!
    My dear Mom was a Newfie!
    I’d get the Katana.
    I have the 100 watter, and it sounds great, is fairly lightweight, and does a ton of cool stuff.
    The 5 watt idea is cool too, I just value versatility.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have a Kustom Defender 5h MOD, and it sounds really rather wonderful through a large cab. To get to the point of aural awesome though requires some serious volume, or attenuating. They're loud little spuds for sure!. That goes for all my tiddler amps. To get them at their best with an efficient speaker can be too loud for domestic use.
    The Katana, from what little direct experience I have, sounds pretty damn good at volume levels where a Defender through a 12" has barely woken up. Much though it pains me, you'd probably get more mileage from the Katana.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

In your house or...?
    DO you like fiddling and programming or playing?

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. ScotNL

ScotNL TDPRI Member

Obsessed: In person, own guitar, taking time with it..absolutely.

brookdalebill: Supercool! I think there are more of us off the island than on it. Waiting for Katanas to arrive to check' m out.

VintageSG: Great advice. I'll have to be sure to play mostly at volumes I actually use (lower vols. mostly) when I do a side by side comparison.

schmee: Playing over programming and fiddling, of course...playing and recording in home.

Thanks all!

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Tube amps are great but loud .My tiny upgraded Champ 600 would blow away large solid state Marshalls at jams .Embarrassing really being told to turn it down as some bloke cant hear his fugging great Marshall.In the end it went as it was too loud to get cranking .Actualy I use a Blackstar Fly 3 for home use when the wife is at home. A Champion 40 SS round my friends house who hates his neighbors and a DV Mark Little jazz when I play a little jazz in bars.The Katana sounds good when I tried one .

8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I have a Katana 100w and I don't bother with all the effects most of the time. I have two clean and two crunch sounds dialed in. It sounds pretty good!

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

scx2

stevemc likes this.
  10. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

another vote for scx2. i like it so much better than the katana.of the op's choices kustom.

11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    stevemc likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

Katana, for the win!;):)

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A used Katana 50 .

New they are about $200-$230.

Used they go for $6 or $7 .

All right, maybe not that low, but their resale value is like if you busted through your basement floor and then dug down about 10 feet?

It’s about that low.

Even though I had a katana 50 that I bought brand new, and even though I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough, I still would buy one if one came for sale around here cheap enough.

I do think there are some useful sounds in them and for a home amp all the effects that come in them are super easy to use. On stage? Another story…

14. brookdalebill

I got my Katana 100 cheap, $150.
    It has issues, it looks, works and sounds great.
    Just sayin’.

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I just got a Blackstar ht5r head. 5 watts and a 1x12 cab. Took me a couple minutes to get a great sound out of it, didn't bother to read the manual.
    I don't like modelling amps with annoying menu's to navigate.

I'm looking forward to cranking it up on full and seeing what it's really capable of.
    I bought the last model on a runout but the new model looks great with more options/features.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    stevemc likes this.
  16. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

I’d go for the head and cab. Had a Katana and liked it but didn’t love it. Got a Valve Jr head and can’t get enough of it.

If you’re going to go Katana(and they’re useful amps, no doubt) pick one up used for cheap.

17. ScotNL

ScotNL TDPRI Member

Thanks a bunch for all the responses everyone! Its very helpful to hear what others are into. Good idea to pass on a new Katana I think. Have a Multieffects unit (Boss GT6)...but I was and am always happier when I press the bypass button....I like the sound of the direct connection between the strings pickups and amp...and I have been realizing how much I enjoy the sound of the little kustom tube amp...simple rich and good... so my update..... I am pumped for the arrival of my First pedals.. an analog delay (behringer vintage delay vd400) and an analog overdrive/compression pedal (tc electronic mojomojo). I really like what I've heard them do. The GT6 will probably be traded in on something else fairly soon...perhaps 1x12 cab or nice reverb.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    tidalcast likes this.
  18. ScotNL

ScotNL TDPRI Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    horseman308 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.