Katana 50 MKII vs older model

RC50OUTWEST

NEW MEMBER!
I'm restarting my interest in electric guitar after a long acoustic period, and would like to get the right amp at the right price without going through my usual practice of "catch and release" purchasing, if you know what I mean.

I only play at home, don't need a lot of volume, but do appreciate decent tone. I have a strat and a tele, and mostly play blues, classic rock (60s/70s) and traditional country/Americana.

I've kinda settled on the Katana 50, but am open to suggestions. My current question is, would my needs be met by a used older model, presumably for a lot less money than a new or used MKII version.

I've watched a couple of youtube videos reviewing the MKII, and I think there are a lot of features, tones and effects that won't interest me. I like the idea of having access to the Boss pedal effects through my computer, since I don't think I would ever get into buying a bunch of pedals. I'm guessing those effects are available on the older version as well. I also like the built in power attenuation which is not present on most amps.

If I have to, I can afford the $250 for a new MKII, but would rather buy an older used one for half that, roughly. Does this make sense?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm new to this forum, and after looking around a bit, I probably should have posted this in the "Modeling Amp" section. On other forums I use moderators will move posts to more appropriate places. Does that happen here, or should I move it, and if so, how do I go about it?

Last edited:

peteycaster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Nothing wrong with the older model if you get one in good nick. If you're just starting out again I can't see there's much more on the newer model that would be of benefit. Having said that, it's nice to have some sort of warranty when buying electrical items.