Kansas man catches fish that makes him think he's no longer in Kansas

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
I stand corrected!! Evidently some Gars are kept as pets. Wikipedia lists them as common aquarium fish. Wouldn’t be my top choice.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
lol

Guys, don’t eat the eggs:
The flesh of gar is edible, but its eggs contain an ichthyotoxin, a type of protein toxin which is highly toxic to humans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gar

Apparently the NZ needle fish cavier is not poisonous but NZers call them gar. At least this guy seems to be okay after a few slurps. Does he know that NZ has some of the best Pinot Noir in the world to enjoy that with instead of sucking it straight out of a fish hole?

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Ha! YES!

I say “pumpkin pie haircut” ALL the time, usually when I see someone with a “Dutch boy” type haircut

Had no idea anyone else actually used this!

I’ve found you brother!

I tell my Dutch friends that I only say it in love. I live in Grand Rapids, MI. Lots of Dutch here. Marzipan starts coming out in late October. Orchards offer cheese to eat with your apples during U-pick season. The older folk still speak of attending "Hamburg fries" when invited to backyard cookouts.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You should have put it back:( It was enough to catch it but you should not have killed that....its the same as you, one life only on this Earth.

I can relate, but that one life was an invasive predator. If it was just one then so be it. But I bet there are more.

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My son caught a cousin type of gar in the Mississippi River when he was young. Not sure what they ever did with it, tossed it back I am sure.

Alligator gar are a whole other thing though, they do have teeth like an alligator.

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
Turbonegro-ScandinavianLeather.jpg

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
BTW, alligator gar can grow up to ten feet. There's been speculation that huge gar or gigantic pike could be responsible for the legend of the Loch Ness Monster.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was canoeing in the Waccamaw Swamp in NC. The water is dark with tannin, and if you slapped the water with your paddle, the water moccasins would rain down out of the cypress trees. So you didn't do that. At one point, I was just trailing my fingers in the water, enjoying the quiet. The guide said, I wouldn't do that if I were you. The alligator gar here will take your hand and pull you right in.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
I was canoeing in the Waccamaw Swamp in NC. The water is dark with tannin, and if you slapped the water with your paddle, the water moccasins would rain down out of the cypress trees. So you didn't do that. At one point, I was just trailing my fingers in the water, enjoying the quiet. The guide said, I wouldn't do that if I were you. The alligator gar here will take your hand and pull you right in.

*Greg70 crosses Waccamaw Swamp canoe trip off of his list.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
To this day TWOO is the scariest movie I have ever seen. First saw it at 4 years of age. So many things I can't unsee.