Kamado Ceramic Grills

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FallsRockShop, Aug 13, 2014.

1. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Been wanting one of these for a while. Local Sam's club has been lowering prices weekly on their Big Green Egg clone. Price dropped by 50% off of the latest clearance price this morning so I booked it online and will pick it up today or tomorrow.

Any of you guys here cook with one? I'm a BBQ fanatic and can't get great results with my Weber kettle or my gas grill. The whole electric mini-fridge smoker idea kind of turns me off for mostly illogical reasons.

The thing apparently weighs like 200 pounds and can hold smoking temps for 18 hours on a single batch of charcoal...

2. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I bought the Char-griller acorn a few months ago. It's fantastic. Took me two or three tries to really feel comfortable with it, but now running it is second nature.

Everything we've tried in it has been amazing.

3. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

The local Ace Hardware sells the Big Green Egg for $1k. Great product but too much $$$.
    Never heard of Kamado, can't wait to see your review/photos. ;) Congrats.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

2 things.

What about the Weber Smokey mountain?

The other is this:
    A friend of mine has had the green egg for about 10 years and it is going strong. He cooks everything on it...literally everything--slow cooks pizza on it.

While he is amaizing with that thing, he attributes that bump in quality that qualifies him for competition cooking to the digiQ. He'll set that up at night and go to bed and check on in the morning and all is well. 12 hours of unattended, perfect cooking.

I don't know the model you're looking at, but if I consider my friend and I wanted to take it to the next level, I'd make the digiQ a priority, and if that meant my only option is the green egg than I'd go that route. I don't know if the brand/model you're looking at has a similar accessory.

5. FallsRockShop

I was dead set on buying the Smokey Mountain this morning....but I had been watching the price of this thing come down from 650 to 550 to 450. I log in to Amazon this morning at work with my credit card out and figured, heck, I'll check Sam's Club's website one more time to see if the price dropped....lo and behold, $250 for a $600+ unit. Seemed like a no brainer to me as the wife loves chicken and the whole two step smoke and sear process on the WSM seemed tedious. Apparently this thing can get up over 1,000 degrees American (inside joke there).

I would love to get a digital temp controller eventually, but I just need to get the thing out of the car first and get a few grills under my belt. Apparently pizza is insane on this thing!

6. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Slow cooked pizza? That seems like a bad idea; the kamados are supposed be be great for pizza because they're able to get so hot.

I got an Akorn a few weeks ago myself and am pretty happy with it. Haven't nailed down the holding 200° thing yet, but it does hold the heat very well and uses a lot less charcoal than you'd think possible.

Is that the Vision Classic thing? If so, that's a great price. They're showing unavailable now; you must have gotten the last one :D

7. FallsRockShop

Yep, the Vision Classic. In-store pickup at the club right down the road.

I'm so excited that I have my shopping list prepared for tomorrow. Chicken thighs, bacon, chicken tenders, sausage....you can see where I'm going with this.

8. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I need to check Sam's. The Vision Classic looks pretty good, I'd gamble on it for that kind of money.

I've extolled the virtues of cooking on a kamado here previously, you can do a search and pull up all the comments and info therein.

The kamadoguru forum and related videos provide a wealth of info.

There is an alternate blower control unit evaluated on kamadoguru, a number of people there have used them.

One can find a lot of Rocky Mountains used on craigslist, a lot of them are selling them to get a kamado. ;)

The biggest Weber RM has a lot of capacity, but you still have to contend with the fact that it is uninsulated which matters more in cold weather and the rain.

9. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

I love my Big Green Egg, it is a totally different animal than working with a Kettle grill, and you are right—part of that is not having to keep feeding it coals. I don't know how the Sam's Club version fares, but if it is half as cool you'll love it. You can smoke at low temps for a long time, grill, or bake pizza at high temps (I've got mine up over 800º). It is the most versatile way to cook at home that I know of.

10. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

I'm a bit curious, why can't you get a decent result on a weber or a gas grill? Don't get me wrong, I'm totally on board with the big green egg. I've had mine about 12 years and it's one of the best things I've ever bought. Having a good dog, guitar and grill will take you far in life. But still...I've got friends who do magical things with a weber grill and apple wood.

Erik

11. FallsRockShop

That's such a great quote about dogs, guitars, and grills. I would add a good woman to that as well!

As for the question at hand....I can't reliably do the really long cooks well on my Weber kettle (8 hours +). Plus, for $250, the more grill the better. While you can conceivably have too many dogs, I would argue that you can never have too many grills or guitars!

12. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

All this grill talk is making me very hungry! :D

13. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

I've got a BGE and enjoy the heck out of it. There are a bunch of FB pages on smoking low and slow. A favorite is BBQ tips and recipes. Helpful folks for the most part and a lot of experience there.
    I think the Kamado style is very versatile, but I've cooked on many styles of grills and smokers, big and small. Good food.

14. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

Damn its still 499.00 in Maryland:(

15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I just can't see spending that kind of money on a grill. Them ceramics seem weird to me. Some of the best barbeque I have had were on cheapys, Kettle grills, or some contraption some random guy welded up. Heck last summer I didn't have a grill. I dug a hole in the ground. Bought a 5 dollar grill at walmart. Not a whole pit just the grill. Through some charcoal in the hole. Put the grill on top. I still fantasize about those brats.

I mean If all I had was a grill and a couple of flower pots. I might go ceramic and forgo digging a hole in 5 miniutes. Then again probably not. I prefer a nice bbq pit. As a general rule of thumb I would try to not spend less that 20 or more than 150. For the price of the ceramics. You could higher someone to come to your house and build a custom one out of brick and be putting money back in to your local economy and have something much nicer or do what I would and build one yourself.

16. FallsRockShop

Well, had the first smoke tonight. Unbelievable! Got it fired up, set at 275 degrees, and it didn't budge for over two hours. I thought that people were blowing smoke (no pun intended) when they said that these things were darn near as easy as gas and produce much better results...so the results.

Chicken thighs were the best pieces of chicken I've ever had, period.

Legs were good, but I'm not a big fan of these larger legs. Too much tendon/gristle.

Bacon wrapped tenders were sublime.

Wings blew me away.

Smoked sausages were delicious as well.

Attached Files:

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The whole thing with the BGE and clones is the "oven" effect. They're designed to make the most of the fuel and retain heat by storing it in the ceamic and the added insulation. A weber might look like a similar shape and all but really can't cook in the same way.

Don't get me wrong...I've got a Weber and it produces really delicious food, but the ceramics are more versatile do much better at long cooking, hot cooking and moisture retention...

18. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, you went for the gusto!

I had to fire up mine too, but all I did was about 5lbs of chicken at 325 degrees. I was in too much of a hurry, but still - I have nicely smoked/baked chicken breast for the next week.

I'm a kamado convert, for sure!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.