1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kalamazoo, Epiphone/Gibson Vintage Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by rangercaster, Jun 17, 2009.

1. es125tcd

es125tcd TDPRI Member

all aboard the epiphone zephyr ...

Just got a 1964 epiphone zephyr , 1 15" speaker of unknown origin ( has an alum. dust cone , still trying to find some numbers on the frame , to find out the manufacturer...) amp is close to mint, complete with a pair of 6v6 vintage sylvanias, the most swampy tremolo and deep reverb I think I have ever heard- traded a 1959 airline 8513 , and a 2000 mex strat in at GC, and walked away with the Zephyr and 100 bucks in cash - life is good !!! amp is awesome, and a fire breathing 15 watts when channel jumped !!! It is amazing that in 1964, that they had a monitor out jack on this amp !!! anyone know of a source for 6eu7 preamp tubes ??? ( just wanna have a back up set...) From what I have read on the net, 1964 was the only year that epiphone put a 15" speaker in this amp A true tone monster !!! will post pics later this week ...

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Gibson Crestline Owners Club

Here would be my GA-8T Discoverer Tremolo with the rest of the family.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. TubbyTone

TubbyTone Tele-Meister

I had a 60's pacemaker like this... it was My Father in-laws and I used to play it all the time... so I was left it when he passed, I handed it down to his Grandson now... still works and sounds GREAT !!!

Attached Files:

4. hasanova

hasanova TDPRI Member

Gibson Mercury Medalist 1964

Some inside views. Busy with restoring. One tube missing. Ordered a complete new set with 2 different pairs of output tubes. Keep ya posted for sounds.

Attached Files:

5. missinglinkwray

missinglinkwray Tele-Meister

Let me add the first Bell! A '65, 15W with tremolo. Made of 1/2" pine!:D
    Far and away my favorite amp that I own. Loud, too, with a replacement speaker in it. I have to keep it at 9 oclock and my guitar turned down and it still sounds great.
    I've heard these early gibsons described as slightly more refined tweeds. I'm familiar only with a 5F1, but it sounds about right.

Question: I keep the amp tone all the way up. Even so, it doesn't seem to do much. Anyone know why that is?

I think Bell was an accordion company that farmed their amps out to Gibson, nothing to do with Bell Labs. The logo on those accordions does look different.
    Bell made a version of the GA 79RVT that is totally awesome and lustworthy.... something about the grey-blue color scheme that just does it for me. One shop is selling one for $3000!!!!!

Attached Files:

6. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Ive got a kalamazoo model one. Ripping little amp. I was just at the spring harp fest yesterday in san diego and met a guy that rebuilds old amps. Crazy stuff. He did alot of the 50c aa3 type electrocution specials. Adding an iso xformer. He redid some as p-p others as parallel class a still with 50c.s. All in the funky old ugly boxes. I have 2 old knoxes i should have him redo.

7. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

That Bell's gray-blue cab/brownish grill and brown-paint-on-metal control panel looks very Epiphone. See e.g. The Pacemaker in post 63 above. The Bell is cool.:cool:

8. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

Ok back with another...

I think I put a few pics in here of my Kalamazoos and Gibson GA5 and GA5T I have restored before. This one is a little bigger this time.

This is a 1960's Epiphone Galaxie. Works great! I put in new filter caps plus 3 other capacitors, cleaned jacks, pots and switches and removed about 4 ft of extra wire the hack that worked on it last time had in there. I put on a 3 wire cord. It has great Tremelo and Reverb. It was modified poorly for a 12 inch speaker, I modified it so it fit much better. Gotta see what I can do about the rust on it there are nice brown details on it that's hard to see.
    I do have the upper back panel, just left it off for this shot.
    The speaker is a 1960's University speaker that was reconed and given to me just in time to use for this project.
    Rob

Attached Files:

9. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

I own that same amp. Bought it at a local used-gear store. I had problems with it sounding shrill, which is apparently fairly common for those. I took it to a tech, along with some ideas for addressing the shrillness that I'd found online. I put a Celestion Greenback in it. I'm not sure that's the best speaker for it, but it's OK for now. It's now my grab-n-gow low-powered EL-84 amp. For times when I want to crank an amp, and my Silvertones aren't quite loud enough for the task.

10. Rifflicks

Rifflicks TDPRI Member

Hello....I just got my hands on an Epiphone Pathfinder from the 60's Model EA 28 RVT...is there any companies that sell Filter cap, Tone cap, and Potentiometer kits for this amp??? Or do I have to find a schematic and list the parts I need to a vintage parts company???
    I'd also be grateful if anyone knows how to date the amp by its' Serial # 520177

All of the Pathfinder amps I've seen pictured online so far have the controls and inputs on the front and mine are on the rear.

11. mcknigs

mcknigs Tele-Meister

The nice thing about old tube amps is that the electronic parts are fairly standard and still available. I don't think you need "vintage" caps and pots. You probably just need caps and pots. The exception might be some cap cans that are no longer available, but for which substitutes are available.

Edit: Probably the best think to do will be to take it to an amp tech familiar with older amps, who can determine what, if anything, it needs.

Good luck,
    -Scott

12. wazmoh

wazmoh NEW MEMBER!

Hi All,

Not sure about how I should proceed, so please excuse me if I am posting inappropriately. I stumbled into this forum/club while searching for information on a Gibson EH 185 I am in the process of restoring. I have a restored (mostly) EH 150 and a pristine 1939 Electar Zephyr as well.

Does anyone know who built the speakers for the Gibsons of this period? Where the EH 150/185 speakers roughly equivalent?

Thanks!

13. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

Just got this '57 GA-20
    Great sounding amp

[​IMG]

14. City Sirens

City Sirens Tele-Meister

Very nice amp but I'd like to see more of the garden. It seems to be japanese-inspired.

I love japanese gardens...

15. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

I'm in.
    '63 GA5-T Skylark.

Attached Files:

16. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

Ha! Yes I lived there for 10 years, so it crept into my psyche.

17. City Sirens

City Sirens Tele-Meister

More pics of garden?

18. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

1960 ga-5 Skylark, 1960 ga-6 Lancer, 1983 Les Paul Custom:lol:

Attached Files:

19. City Sirens

City Sirens Tele-Meister

My non-historically restored GA-50 along with my non-historically restored '59 Melody Maker:

[​IMG]

emisilly likes this.
  20. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

'61 GA18T and a '96 '61 SG RI

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.