1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

JV Thinline

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by webberpond11, May 30, 2015.

1. webberpond11

webberpond11 TDPRI Member

Hey guys...

What do I have here?

More specifically, what pickups are in this, what is original/non-original, etc.

It is a 1982-1983 Made in Japan JV Thinline Telecaster.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433008799.129111.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433008819.696635.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433008846.399352.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433008856.980434.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433008873.715101.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433008886.232872.jpg

2. tomasino

tomasino Tele-Meister

Very nice looking guitar.
    I have the Classic '72 Mim version.. which is definitely going up for sale soon.

It's obviously a true Fender.
    That's a "Modern Vintage" neck (three bolts). Possibly w/MicroTilt.

Easy to find replacement aftermarket necks, but no conversion necks (to 24 3/4" scale) are available in the three bolt config..

As for those pups.. Search the board, there's been a BUNCH of threads on this exact issue lately. In this forum and in the "Just Pickups" forum.

ExtraJerry has posted some links to some good data to help identify which Fender WRHB's are which. I'm sure it'll help you ID the pups you have there.

If it plays good, sounds good and keeps up with the band, you're stoked!

3. Smurfy

Smurfy TDPRI Member

They`re standard Fender Japan Wide Range Lookalikes as fitted to all Japanese Customs ,Deluxes and Thinlines. I`ve got one in a box somewhere and it`s super hot at around 15K!!!!. I believe the Japanese ones used ceramic magnets, they look a lot more like the originals than the Mexican ones, but they are definitely not real Wide Ranges with CuNiFe magnet pole-pieces.

The tuners are a real strange thing for Fender Japan to do, they are correct for Japanese Thinlines but not correct in the sense that they bear no resemblance to what was fitted to original Thinlines, ie the pressed steel covered type stamped with F on the back.

Your guitar is a bog standard Japanese Fender Tele Thinline imo, they are great quality guitars and increasing in value all the time. I`m not sure about the number stamped on the neckplate, but the Japanese 3 bolt neckplates do have Fender Japan stamped on them unlike the Mexican and US ones , so that is original as well.

In all the Japanese Fenders I have had the switch has been a plastic bodied type with all the connections on the top, however mine have been year 2000+ guitars.

4. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

That's a very rare guitar right there - hang on to it!
    The early Fender Japan Thinlines / Customs etc did NOT use Fender USA wide-range pickups - in fact they used the Maxon-made widerange knockoffs which had been used in Greco, Aria, JooDee, etc Thinline copies throughout the 1970s. I have a set in a Greco Spacey Sounds - essentially the same guitar as yours, made in the same factory - from 1976. They sound extremely good, much better than the later wide-range-lookalikes used in the 90s and beyond.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten Tele-Meister

You have a b*tchin' guitar!!! Love it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.