1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Justin Biebers "anyone" gives songwriting credit to 8 people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by claes, Jan 16, 2021.

1. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Two years ago some boys asked me on the streets if I knew any Justin Bieber. I didn't. but i listened to his work when I got home. it was absolut horrible and nothing I could use.

Now, "anyone" is half decent and there is actually a traditional melody in there. I think i can pull of a acoustic version with dignity. I wouldn't try if i didn't think so.

That's just the street. Sometimes your surrounded with 15 yo. Sometimes senior citizens. I only play songs I like even if I try to adapt.

I suspect with eight songwriters, it becomes more of a filter then a creative process.

2. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

This - insofar as I can decipher it - is in keeping with the music-as-drug approach to music, under which a piece is judged a success if it blows the listener away, leaving him or her just sopping with blotto pleasure. Every time I see some troglodyte with buds stuck in his head, lolling blissfully around, I see not any sort of artistic undertaking but someone too lazy actually to listen to music sucking up the musical drug through an electronic drug delivery system.

I have no interest in such "music," which is no better than the "elevator muzak" of another time, which also sought to induce a certain experience - "relaxation" - in the drone humans riding up and down.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  3. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

According to wiki:
    The song was written by Bieber, Michael Pollack, Raul Cubina, and producers Andrew Watt, Jon Bellion and The Monsters & Strangerz.

So the Bieb gives his producers a few percent each. Good for him.

The song is a run-of-the-mill top 40 hit, the type of stuff that the music industry has been churning out for 100 years.

And every year, as always, the top 40 produces some gems- some recent gens below.

Of course, as always (though arguably more than ever) most of the really good stuff -- the music made for grown-ups -- doesn't make the top 40. I won't bore you with my list of the greatest songs of 2020, as it comes down to taste, but they're out there.

4. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

Hey man, don't apologize for me!
    Bieber's music is not aimed at my demographic but he's exceptionally talented.
    Celine has one of the classic voices, right up there with Whitney Houston.
    These uniquely Canadian performers are loved worldwide, no shame here.

koen and northernguitar like this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

It's a joke on Canadians and apologizing and general ragging on the Pop singers we export (Nickleback can be included here, too).

tanplastic likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’m like “whatever they’re listening too, I wanna know” :D Seriously, how do you know what’s being played when they have earbuds in?

Music is a wonderful drug, a safe drug, a healthy drug, if you want to use drugs for analogy. The great thing about music is that it’s not up to any one person to define what is ‘good’ or ‘bad’. Freedom of choice in full effect. Obviously there’s a business side to all this, but it’s not like anybody has forced anything on anyone else.

7. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

"Freedom of choice is in full effect." Indeed, one is equally free to make actual music or to settle for endless musical pabulum for the world's drooling masses, yearning to be semi-conscious. Freedom by its nature implies no standards, nearly forbids them. So obviously we must look elsewhere for principles by which to exercise our freedom. Some will choose such principles wisely; some will not.

Some music is better than other music. You're just going to have to deal with that, or settle for pointless reiteration ad nauseum of a few shallow, glittery notions that make the yahoo's go "Ooooo."

8. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

"Grating amounts of novelty." Yeah, we wouldn't want to jar the customer out of his drooling lethargy, now would we? Just keep his empty head abobbin'. That's the ticket.

9. BorderRadio

I’m not dealing with anything, I listen to all types of music and enjoy it. If I don’t, well I change my channel. I try not to make a j-a statement about how this or that is ‘better’, or ‘I can make better music with my tin drum’. Unless we posting our examples (there is a forum for that), then it’s really just more curmudgeon speak.

Manual Slim likes this.
  10. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

Wasn’t that one of the innovations of The Beatles? That they actually wrote their own songs?

Personally I don’t care how many or few people write a good song. As long as they don’t complain when royalties are split 8 ways...

11. BorderRadio

Nah it was Buddy Holly who ‘innovated’ that in the context of rock n roll. Wait, probably more peeps, but the Beatles get all the attention :)

PoorNoodle likes this.
  12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

“Wow, Mister Steerforth, you’re really old!”

“Thanks for noticing, Billy. Say, you want something that will cheer you up? Go listen to a few of your songs, and then go listen to the music from back when I was your age. That’s called devolution Billy, and it’s happening to YOU!”

Heh heh heh. That’ll teach the rotten little urchin. He better stay off of my lawn.

13. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

Surely "drooling lethargy" would apply to those mindlessly listening to the music of their youth like a junkie chasing the first time they heard Cream or Hendrix or The Archies or Captain & Tennille or whatever their generation deemed "great music".

14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i think the weeknd makes up for at least a few drakes and such. for sure beating most americans pop singers at their own game.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.