1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Justin Biebers "anyone" gives songwriting credit to 8 people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by claes, Jan 16, 2021.

1. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Being an old dude like most here I am looking for new songs I can play on the streets busking, and thanks to Rick Beato I came across "Anyone"
    I haven't been listening on radio once since at least 2004. I can pinpoint this because I moved 2004, nor do I have spotify (I had to google to find out it was called spotify - no joke).
    I do hear some new music at the gym, or a store. If i like what I hear I google it. sometimes someone sends me a link. Or you guys post something new to me.

But I was surprised to find that it is a collaboration between 8 people when I looked it up.

Songwriter(s)
    I know Taylor Swift often have 3 people behind the songs, but eight? Is anything personal left? Its seems more like a fabricated product than a song to me.

I thought I post it here because it goes beyond the songwriting forum. Its really not about "how to write a song" but the music industry in general.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Most pop songs aren’t written by the artists

Even goes back to the golden age of crooners in the 50’s

Eight seems a bit overboard though, unless it’s not just for lyrics, I could see that

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty much how pop songs are written these days--by committee--and they're not even in the band.

Bassman8, scelestus, Rocky058 and 4 others like this.
  4. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Same as it ever was. I just happen to like the 'product' back then better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brill_Building

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  5. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

the recent copyright infringement lawsuits on a number of songs make me believe that some of those "songwriters" are actually lawyers

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

And they all getting paid!!
    I wish I were one of them.

7. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Is it fitting they opened a Pharmacy on the first 2 floors of the Brill?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is quite common in contemporary music, and is often attributable to crediting people whose work is sampled. For example, Beyoncé's song "Hold Up" has FIFTEEN songwriter credits (Thomas Wesley Pentz, Ezra Koenig, Beyoncé, Emile Haynie, Joshua Tillman, Uzoechi Emenike, Sean Rhoden, Doc Pomus, Mort Schuman, DeAndre Way, Antonio Randolph, Kelvin McConnell, Brian Chase, Karen Orzolek, and Nick Zinner), but everyone from Doc Pomus on in that list wrote music that is sampled in it. So, that's seven actual "songwriters" (most of whom contribute what we would have called production back in the day), and eight writers whose work is (almost unrecognizably) sampled.

northernguitar and BorderRadio like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If I was sampled, I’d want that credit too. It’s not only fair, it’s right that artists cite (pay) their sources.

Miss Bey is using a line from Chase, Orzolek, and Zinner in Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ “Maps” - that’s almost meta and a righteous musical reference. IMHO of course :)

northernguitar and tanplastic like this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would be more concerned about being an old dude playing a Justin Bieber song with any sense of credibility before I worried about whether it was written by committee. At 57, I don't play anything newer than the grunge era of the early 90's.

11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

(never mind)

12. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

A good song is a good song.
    Bieber is long past "Baby Baby Oh" and is writing mature pop songs.

As for writing, my impression is that some songs get passed around until complete.
    This tune likely started with Bieber and a co-writer who took it as far as they could, and then sent it out to another producer who added ideas, then to another.

goonie likes this.
  13. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

That’s probably why there are so many.

985plowboy likes this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i guess when you have that many people under the direction of a big company sticking their hands in something it turns into something that generic and lifeless.

seriously, why has pop music become so dull for the last fifteen years? it's not even particularly bad, it's just so...devoid of making any type of aesthetic decisions with conviction. listen to any of the boy bands or like britney spears and there's just so much more going on with the melodies, chords & voice leading, weird samples, etc. i think nowadays beyonce and ariana are the only high profile ones who are actually singing anything that isn't just chord loop pop rock with synthesizers.

srblue5 likes this.
  15. BorderRadio

Better than the past when people were ripped off and given no credit. Still can happen, don’t mean it should.

16. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

It took 8 people to write that pablum for the masses???? Sounds more like a computer analyzed the top 100 generic hits of all time and cranked another one out.

Bassman8, Steerforth and loco gringo like this.
  17. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Sir, the Biebs sucks horribly and on behalf of all Canadians I apologize (I'm done with making amends for Celine Dion).

However, as a 51 yr old, I suggest to dig deep, there's still some great music being made. I like the classic Hard Rock/Metal sound and Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats as well as Graveyard are two of my all-time favourite bands.

Steerforth and BorderRadio like this.
  18. BorderRadio

Boy bands and Britney are 15 years old and their time has passed. Pop music, whatever that means, is supposed to be devoid of conviction, it’s pop music.

Speaking of 15 years, I was listening to Limp Bizkit the other day, old Fred Durst had loads of conviction! It wasn’t as bad as I remember it, and now I’m waiting for the Nu Metal revival to happen later this decade...:)

srblue5 likes this.
  19. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

With that many people working on one song, you'd think they could come up with something a little more memorable. :oops:

20. BorderRadio

YES Uncle Acid \m/\m/

My favorite song of theirs:

Steerforth and northernguitar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.