Justify your latest Pedal board change and let us judge you!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Nov 1, 2019.

1. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't think it qualifies as a "board" exactly, but aside from the occasional Crybaby, which hasn't seen the light of day in about 10 years, this is it...
    368-1_kindlephoto-1088427764.jpg

Impressive isn't it?!?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds incredible. But you can ONLY set delay time by tap tempo, which doesn't work for me. And I don't need 2 ods and a comp. Plus the buttons are close together. The content and form factor of the PUE5 works better for me, but the Quattro is cool no doubt.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ha. I am so the wrong guy to ask that question.

Sounds great though. Not sure if it's a tubescreamer or something else. Sounds fat but cutting like a good vintage OD.

We're polishing up the 11 songs for our next album so we played them straight through at rehearsal and recorded each on my iphone. (So I can put lap steel parts on some of them).

We played a couple back through the PA and when I took a lead the pedal just sounded awesome. Very happy.

4. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I don't really have a "board." I only use a combination of a few pedals. I always have a TC Electronic tuner, and if I'm not using my Deluxe Reverb, an EHX Holy Grail nano. For dirtier sounds, I rotate through either a Bluesbreaker clone or a Red Llama clone or a modified DS-1. I just bought a Benson preamp to see if it can be my one-stop for various levels of dirt, in addition to my tuner and reverb.

So how did I fare?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I had a Loop switcher on my board for a long time, much like schmee's. I loved it. It was handy having all switches in one place. I've gone to a slightly smaller pedalboard so I don't have room for it and I regret that every day.

I had a make a substantial change because I finally settled on an amp: A Lil'Dawg Wonderdawg. My OD/distortions and fuzz did NOT work with that amp. So I got rid of my ZVEX Double Rock, which is a shame because I love J. Mascis and that was basically a signature pedal. Also, I got rid of my Blackout Effectors Seriously Special Twosome Fuzz in the "color of money" finish. I hated to sell that one because BOE has gone out of business and this will definitely be a collector's item in the near future. So that's what I got rid of. Replacing it is.....

A JHS Supro Bolt v2 OD. This thing maintains the tone of my amp (really) and has a very nice grind to it. I got a Tym Reverse Logo Big Muff. If there's another signature pedal from J. Mascis, it's the Tym Munchkin Fuzz, which is nearly impossible to find. This Tym fuzz is close, and it is such a HUGE sound. Finally, an Xotic RC Booster V2, which has an extra gain stage. Again, this pedal maintains the sound of my amp while giving a touch of dirt (gain 1) or quite a bit of dirt (gain 1+2). I guess I could have listed these in order.
    Fender Strat Elite->Tuner->Wah->RC Booster v2->JHS Suprobolt v2->Tym Fuzz-->Way Huge Blue Rhino Chorus/Vibrato->JHS Tidewater analog tremolo->DOD Rubberneck delay->LD WD.

Judge away....DON'T JUDGE ME!!!

telemnemonics and RetroTeleRod like this.
  6. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

The same 8 pedals in a looper have 32 jack connections. If you ever switch to a different pedal, even one at a time, they ALL have to work.

Plus the 16 normalled connections in the 8 bypass switches in the chain. Switches do go bad. These switch contacts are also present in the above scenario, regardless how many are turned on at a time.

Switchers can be good, and convenient, at the expense of double the cables and connections.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What??
    What??? BOE went under?
    Damn that sucks I only have three pedals from them.

I use a simple dual loop so I can at least toggle with one stomp.

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"they ALL have to work. No they dont. Mine dont anyway. You dont even have to have pedals connected to them.

"The same 8 pedals in a looper have 32 jack connections": yeah but the point of a switcher is those connections are not passing a signal unless you are using that pedal. Without a switcher ALL 32 of those connections are passing a signal whether you are using the pedal or not!

Plus the 16 normalled connect"ions in the 8 bypass switches in the chain. Switches do go bad. These switch contacts are also present in the above scenario, regardless how many are turned on at a time. Yeah, if you want to count switch contacts than you can add even more to my stated scenario without a switcher!

9. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

That's a lot of Big Muffs dude. Not judging... Admiration!

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Shmee, 8 pedals was your example, not mine. If you ever change pedals, the next path has to work too, so yes, they all have to work.

11. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

After 40 years of playing only acoustic guitar, 2.5 years ago I got an electric guitar and then I sold both of my acoustic guitars. So, I'm a rooky.

I was happy with the distortion I could get with gain but I thought something was lacking. About a month ago, in a thread here about pedals, I noticed the popularity of Rat overdrive. Now I use mostly Rat and little gain and I love it! I use other effects too via my Boss GT-100.

The Boss GT-100 is perfect for me because it has so many effects for only $374 new on Reverb. Also, I like that adjustments are quick and easy without a computer. I think it is an ideal beginners pedal board.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The Rat is one of my all time favorite pedals. Winner!

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

my 2 pedal boards

89d6e5f948e9f4ec8cd3eb3a1b6f0f88.jpg Still0830_00000.jpg

and they said I was over compensating !, I showed them!

14. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

It's been months since I've changed anything on my board, but I think the last additions were a Vox wah and the Keeley Super Mod Workstation back in March. The trem, uni-vibe, and phaser all sound great, but it also acts as a backup delay, backup reverb, and a clean boost.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

E62F99A7-2BA9-48B6-B66B-DE2EE7F499D8.jpeg E62F99A7-2BA9-48B6-B66B-DE2EE7F499D8.jpeg Lost control of my board and it got prey gnarly.

Some serious gore.

16. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, I have 4 stereo effects. To get loop switching in in a dedicated loop switcher thats stereo, it would have been over $1200. The GCX by VooDoo Lab was $125 used. It’s old tech from the 90’s. I midi to it via my Switch doctor. The switch dr has all the drives and controls all the stereo loops via midi. Its part of a W/D\W rig I need to finish wiring up.

codamedia likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

IMG_2976.JPG Okay, unchanged for almost two years now. I'm a blues player going through a Fender 6L6 (or Fenderish 6V6) clean amp. What did I do to finally get to this "final state"? First of all, I evolved from all of those traditional OD and dirt pedals and went exclusively to amp emulation pedals. I know what I'm getting now and can easily adjust these far better and faster. Secondly, I eliminated delay once and for all. Yup, even the CB Belle Epoch didn't inspire me enough. Adding "room" reverb solved any misgivings. Finally, being an EQ pedal fan from the beginning, gambling on the Tilt EQ paid off in dividends far beyond my expectations. No wonder this is how EQ is managed in a professional studio. A "duh" moment for me.

Okay, you can judge all you want. I don't care and I ain't gonna cry about it. I know of one inherent flaw that I will live with, but nevertheless, I've nailed it and I know it.:cool: I even bought a light aluminum case to drop it in, instead of yet another heavy homemade plywood thing to lug around.

I won't patent this chain as a gift just for you.;):D
    IMG_2987.JPG

18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Because I really like going straight chord when possible, I've avoided building a pedal board.

Because I mostly play in church these days, and we do about 7 songs a Sunday, but the list changes pretty substantially week to week, I just try to pick pedals, if needed, that work for the songs we're playing this week.

Most recent addition to the pedal collection: Inspired by a recent Buddy Miller rig rundown, I bought an MXR univibe.

In the "vibe" setting, it sounds really similar to the Boss vibe pedal.

Just did a church conference where I used a Klon clone, the MXR Univibe, and a Strymon Blue Sky Reverb into an amp with Trem. Sounded amazing. If it were up to me, that might be all I'd use.

Please feel free to judge me for not having built a pedal board. Or anything else you'd like. ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Nothing's changed for me for a while. I added a Fender Mirror Image delay a while back. Forget when. I’ll stick my chain under my name below, if anyone’s interested.

But, I think I’m going to add a programable switcher soon. I’d like one with eight or ten loops, but finances dictate six loops.

I’m still thinking it through, but I’m hoping this will solve a problem I’m having with this duo thing I’m working on with a drummer.

I’m trying to integrate a looper pedal, and while I can set up the loop and then get a boost going to riff / solo audibly over it, I can’t manage the multiple switch foot tapping to cleanly get out again. I figure if I set up two near identical loops, with just the looper missing from the second one, I can stand on one switch and be back to the rhythm (or whatever) sound and the loop can spin away happily isolated.

The other reason is, I just want one :)

Pax/
    Dean

p.s. current chain: Animals Pedals Car Crush (chorus / vibe) > Rat > Donner Boost Killer (RC Boost clone) > Mirror Image delay > Boss DM-2 delay > Fender Marine Layer reverb > Donner Golden tremolo > Ditto stereo looper

RetroTeleRod and Obsessed like this.
  20. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I removed my TC Corona chorus mini, and the Keeley Comp +, and put an old Boss BF-2 in its place. ‘Cause, I’m running a dobro thru it now (into the same amp—it’s hot!).

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.