Justify your latest Pedal board change and let us judge you!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Nov 1, 2019.

1. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Two revisions. I put my Pulsar Tremolo back on in place of Mr. Black Deluxe Plus because I missed the tone and I like the ability to switch between smooth and choppy trem with a flick of a toggle switch. I missed the warmth of a true analog Delay, so Carbon Copy replaced the Hardwire DL-8.
    So what's your excuse? ;)

4pickupguy and CV Jee Beez like this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

One year ago, almost to the day, I bought a Helix LT. Before then I had always owned/used some multi-fx and modelers, but not exclusively and even when I did use them I often had an external pedal board. This changed with the Helix. Amp modeling aside.... it's a great pedal board into the front of an amp (or run 4 cable with an amp).

For the cost of 7 - 10 BOSS standard BOSS pedals I've got dozens of great sounding effects, flexible routing, and a dual function expression pedal. My mindset does not see it any differently than a large pedal board.... each preset can be as simple or as complex as I decide to make it - but it's far more flexible.

Go ahead... judge me :D

helix-lt.jpg

I'm all for that one, that is a change I would certainly have done myself!

Rayf_Brogan, jannodude, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

"Judging you...I am doing it." :lol:
    [​IMG]

Roman4405, Obsessed and codamedia like this.
  4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I took an EHX Silencer off my board and replaced it with a Catalinbread Topanga spring reverb. I only use the Silencer in a metal band I don't play with very often, so I reasoned that I should build a simplified board just for that band because its needs are totally different than what I normally use. The Topanga adds a spring reverb effect that I've wanted for a long time, as well as another boost, which so far sounds great into my Orange OR15.

CV Jee Beez and RetroTeleRod like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

46DED755-5C1F-4042-829F-5E8242C3B744.jpeg I made this one up on the 30th to go guitar shopping at GC.
    A piece of 1” pvc I use for a riser under the back row of a bigger board.
    The delay is held in a double 2x8 joist hanger that prevents the knobs from being turned accidentally, but here it also prevents my patch cable from getting out of the way. All battery powered so handy for a quick setup.

6. RetroTeleRod

The demos of the Topanga sound great. Congrats.
    But I'm still going to judge you. ;)

7. RetroTeleRod

For using a joist hanger...I'm judging.
    Unless it's really a shield to keep aliens from taking over your toans.
    ('Cause that would be cool.)

8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

For a couple of years I was very happy using an SD1 into an OD3 for my dirt options. I could use one, or the other, or both together,
    depending on the guitar I was using (single vs humbucker) and the sound I needed (slight crunch or singing lead, for example).

I guess I got a wild hair and am now using an MI Audio Crunch Box into an EHX Soul Food, both purchased used. Truth be told after
    having made the switch the jury's still out on whether I like this better or not. All four pedals sound great on their own depending
    on the application. But I need to decide which two pedals work best together at gigs to get the sounds I need with my rig for the music
    I play and the guitars I use.

I won't judge on others' use of the Helix LT but will just state that I don't think it would work for me because I hate menu diving and futzing around.
    As an example, I have an Eventide H9 Max, which is an amazing device, but I kicked it off my board and put a Phase 90 back in its place because
    I got tired of messing with the Eventide and didn't really make much use of the multiple effects presets I had coaxed out of it-- wah, tremolo, phase,
    flange, reverb, slap back delay, longer delay, organ simulator, octaver, whammy pedal, autowah and a couple more. For the funk music I play I find
    that all I need is a couple of dirt options, phase 90 (optional, really), Carbon Copy delay, and tuner. Reverb comes from the amp and the other
    guitar player in our band covers any wah-wah requirements.

I love synth and play at home on a Novation Peak. I have been tempted by the new Boss SY-1 because I could see using it in performance to
    get some fun sounds. The Eventide H9 Max has some synth effects but the tracking is pretty bad.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I mounted an 8 channel rack mounted midi loop switcher underneath my pedal board and I’m proud of it!!! .... ok, ok maybe a little ashamed..:(

55879EA8-C42C-420C-A2CE-A036F0287FC3.jpeg
    03F5E29F-140F-435C-8EFE-E23C3BB77A5C.jpeg

10. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

This works very well for what I’m after.

62B6412A-E0A5-41AC-AB6D-3BE3C1E9472C.jpeg

codamedia and RetroTeleRod like this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Menu diving on a Helix is bare minimum.... far easier than the majority of remote controls :lol:
    You are right about the H9 though... it is an amazing piece of gear, but it does come with it's share of deep menu diving!

Yesssss..... I like company!

No shame.... none at all! There is no harm in embracing technology ;)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

68EDDFA0-9818-4631-8A88-203D336DD5CD.jpeg I can’t even begin to justify my big board and the last time I posted a pic of it somebody said it was awful and I was so hurt I switched back to banjo for weeks.
    But any mean comments with thinly veiled helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

If it helps I'll add that the top right black box is a Rat clone and also that there were no less than six muffs on this board in two loops just a few days ago.
    Feel free to judge me for my being obsessed with muffs!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  13. telemnemonics

Naww, not that kind of cool, just a cheap redneck solution to the durn knobs getting brushed all the time.
    Actually I wish aliens would take over my toanz more often!
    That's my goal!
    Doesn't everyone want that?

14. telemnemonics

OMG do you bring this out in public???

The midi switcher is fine but the rest is highly judge worthy.
    Do you have a pedal board therapist you can recommend?

15. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I've finished about one hour ago to change it again, last time was one month ago. :eek::eek::eek:

What i did i made a 2 floor board so underneath i've put not only the power supplies but also the Joyo American Sound and the Red Box d.i. so when i play straight to p.a. all i have to do is plug a cable from the M9 to the Joyo and i'm off.
    I hope it will last me a couple of months at least. :lol::lol::lol: IMG_20191101_182550394.jpg IMG_20191101_182431985.jpg

16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

That's all i've got, i don't have a pedal board, just one delay.

Roman4405, teletimetx, Kebmel and 4 others like this.
  17. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

No pics at the moment, but my main board had gotten up to three reverb units, two delays, tape echo, two fuzzes, two overdrives, a compressor, a flanger, an open spot for experimenting, and a tuner. All stuff I like, but a bit much for simple practice and couch noodling. So I simplified.

I found an old wine crate and built a simple 12"x12" board with reverb, delay, overdrive and a tuner. I

One of the reverbs was a large VanAmps Solemate...which has a pretty large footprint. It's also my favorite to use with my tweed Vibrolux clone. That made the 12"x12" format attractive.

So I drilled a few holes in the crate, stained it and wired it up with a power strip and a One-Spot. In keeping with the wino theme, I cut two corks in half and added them as feet. It probably wouldn't hold up to gigging, but it's perfect for home.

It's currently: Tuner - EHX Hot Tubes - Joyo Digital Delay - VanAmps reverb.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. RetroTeleRod

The cork sniffers will be judging you for that!

BradKM likes this.
  19. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I took my Hall of Fame reverb and Mooer Reecho off, and just use o the on-board verb and delay from my Katana 50. They sound fine, and now I have room for MORE FuZZ!!!

j5jarod777 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know if I’m proud or saddened at the ridiculousness that is my pedal board.
    I tried to start a pedal boards anonymous once

9B410001-140F-4966-AC3B-2C9B02A23483.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.