Just when I thought I was doing everything wrong

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Neener, Feb 22, 2020.

1. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

So will the tech's wife!

Jerry_Mountains and BobbyZ like this.
  2. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

If this was an issue amps wouldn't be made like this. They would have changed and they haven't. This means its not an issue IMO.

Apache Snow likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I always put my amp on standby between sets... when I flip it on, I'm on, no waiting for the scant seconds for the amp to come alive... like it!

other than that.. never gave it much thought.

BobbyZ, Apache Snow and MilwMark like this.
  4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Internet, for giving us yet more stuff to pointlessly argue about. But, please, all you folks who don't believe in standby switches, please please do get your kids vaccinated. ;)

5. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Some standby switches give a nasty thump when you eventually flick the amp to 'go', especially my special 6. I usually just ignore the standby.

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Tradition. Ever notice on incandescent light bulbs that they only quit when you initially turn them on?

7. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Nope, but I could see someone only noticing them quitting in that fashion. I mean, it's more memorable then just flipping the switch and the light doesn't come on.

8. printer2

Maybe I wrote that wrong. A light bulb in use does not just stop working but it will burn up the filament from the initial surge when turning on the light. Might even be to fast to see any light when you flip the switch.

Tim S likes this.
  9. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I understood what you meant and agree light bulbs are more likely to burn out when turn on. But they don't "only quit" when turned on. My point is, that's not the only time they burn out.
    Using your theory, a light bulb, if left on, will work forever.

Apache Snow likes this.
  10. printer2

Not forever but I have not seen one go out while in use, I have had many go out when you turn it on, usually you hear it pop. Generally the power to a light bulb is cycled in its life. If it is wore out and close to its end, the next time someone turns it on the inrush current when the filament is cold will snap it. Just the way we use them. they almost never just fad away because we turn them on and off.

Tim S likes this.
  11. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

It looks so " mature" and "grown up" to have a separate switch to throw when you are all ready to go, they should give us a row of two pole switches each with a different color Jewel light!!.
    I flick the POWER switch first, wait a little time and throw the money switch. On the way out, I flick the power switch , then the standby to confirm I switched the power switch off.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've had amplifiers with standby switches, and sometimes I left them on all the time, sometimes I'd turn them on when I was going to power the amp up, sometimes before turning it on, sometimes after. I've never seen any adverse effect from any of these. And the last couple of tube amps I've had didn't even have standby switches.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Longest-lasting light bulb[edit]
    Main article: Centennial Light
    The world's longest-lasting light bulb is the Centennial Light located at 4550 East Avenue, Livermore, California. It is maintained by the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department. The fire department claims that the bulb is at least 117 years old (installed 1901) and has only been turned off a handful of times. The bulb has been noted by The Guinness Book of World Records, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, and General Electric as being the world's longest-lasting light bulb.

While it might seem astonishing that so many longest-lasting light bulbs have been so infrequently turned off, this is the precise reason for their longevity. Most of the wear and tear that leads to burnouts in incandescent light bulbs is caused by turning them on and off, not by burning them. Each time the bulb is turned on and off, the filament is heated and cooled. This causes the material of the filament to expand and contract, in turn causing micro stress cracks to develop. The more the light is turned on and off, the larger these cracks grow, until eventually the filament breaks at some point, in non-spectacular fashion, thus causing the light to burn out.[citation needed] Another reason for the longevity of bulbs is the size, quality and material of the filament.

The second, third, and fourth longest lasting light bulbs are also listed here-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest-lasting_light_bulbs

So if amp tubes are like light bulbs I guess the moral of the story is never turn your amp off. (Not sure how that would work for the other components, though...)

Light bulb filament is made mostly out of tungsten, I believe. I remember at one point my Dad (always the gambler) had an idea that we should stake a claim on a tungsten mine and strike it rich.
    He was never serious, really, but as a physicist I guess he appreciated the value of tungsten....

14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

That's the ONLY thing I have ever used them for. Might as well call them a "break time" switch, as they are nothing but a convenience item.

Apache Snow, aging_rocker and getbent like this.
  15. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Ok, that's it. All my amps are staying on 24/7. The tubes should last the rest of my life.

getbent likes this.
  16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

A mute switch that breaks the guitar signal would be a simple alternative to standby. A pedal that is nothing more than a signal on/off switch.

aging_rocker likes this.
  17. printer2

If we did not overvoltage them they might last. Studios used to keep tube equipment on all the time as they reduced in noise. I had a tube stereo amp that I never shut off for years and never had to change a tube.

Tim S likes this.
  18. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This topic triggered this song in my head. I have no idea why:

Thanks

19. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

Back in the day when I had hot glass in my (Marshall) amps, I just used the standby switch as a 'mute' switch. Never had any issues.

My Katana has a mute switch...but they forgot to 'model' a standby switch... :)

20. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

I have seen a bunch of them go out while on. You just never noticed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.