Just when I thought I was doing everything wrong

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Neener, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Someone recently told me when turning off a tube amp (I.e. my blues deville), not to turn it off on Standby...

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

....and why not?

Neener likes this.
  3. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister

my friend who builds tube amps told me the same thing. I never asked him why

Neener likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't see how there would be an issue. I have always down the horseman thing of starting at a walk before you gallop and vice-versa. Start by powering up on stand-by for 30 seconds or more and return to stand-by to cool down for 30 second or more prior to turning off power.

Crobbins likes this.
  5. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Don't put it on Standby and when you turn it off the capacitors will drain for a few seconds through the tubes. Hurts nothing, may save the life of an absent-minded repairman.

koolaide, 65 Champ Amp and Neener like this.
  6. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I had never heard this, now I know!

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

When they finally figure out how to make a good Fender or Marshall amp, someone let me know.

LightningPhil likes this.
  8. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Aside from leaving some volts on the caps, it’s fine to do. The caps “should” have a drain resistor anyhow to make things safe for repair.

But, as electrolytic prefer having voltage across them to not (fixes small defects in the dielectric layer), there’s nothing wrong with leaving a bit ov voltage present.

However, on standby, the voltage on the caps can be much higher than when running. If they’re inadequate, then leaving on standby for ages may kill them sooner than later. But this shouldn’t be the case.

So, on balance, I advise not caring about this matter :cool:

9. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Just shut off both switches at the same time. Or leave the standby in the on position all the time. Or pull the plug outta the wall.
    Point is cut the damned power when you're done. Standby is a useless feature for shut down, it's pretty useless for start up too.
    And forget what you read in a Gerald Weber book.

10. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I remember when I got my first tube amp and asked around locally about proper use of the standby switch. There was so much noise about it, including people saying that if it is used wrong it could blow your amp. And as silly as that sounds, maybe some of those people had bad experiences with blowing new production rectifiers when not leaving the standby switch in the play position.

11. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

What @BobbyZ said. If "not turn it off on standby" means *do* turn off both switches simultaneously, then your friend is right.

But tubes will drain pretty fast (if they're hot and working) with or without standby. Sure, keeping them hot (leaving standby on *for a minute*) may drain them a little bit faster, but hot tubes will drain long before a repairman can open up even a simple amp. See this (esp. at about 1:00 and 3:00) by Billm. The risk is you forget to turn off standby, and 'prolonged standby' is worse than useless and can be harmful... the internet and guitar tradition never seem to figure this out, but Merlin does.

BobbyZ and sonicsmitty like this.
  12. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

They thoughtfully combined the "stand-by" and "on/off" switches on my Peavey Delta Blues, so I don't have to remember which switch to flick first. Still working after ~20 years.

13. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Turning the amp to standby can leave a higher voltage on the capacitors than is there when operating. Hopefully the manufacturer has adequately rated caps. I think it would be best to shut down without it and not use the standby switch anyway.

BobbyZ likes this.
  14. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

My tube amp doesn't even have standby.

Apache Snow likes this.
  15. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

^ Most informative thing I ever read on standby switches.

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would like to hear what Wally thinks ... but ... these amps manage to survive 50-60 years despite abuse and user error...

24 track likes this.
  17. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

If there was a problem with any combination of standby and the on off switch. Don't you think after 75years of operation Fender would have put a warning label on the amp? The only reason I ever used the standby switch was after the band takes a break, if you leave the amp on standby, it comes on quicker to start the next set. This, rather than have it start from cold again.

18. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I use it as a mute switch for short breaks, just so the amp isn't hissing. Funny thing that no amps have a mute switch.

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It doesn't matter as far as I can tell. Some amps, not all it seems, drain the caps if you turn off on standby. Which I do a lot working on them.
    I leave amps on standby at break when gigging, or just on. My logic is that electronic things are more stable and last longer if not cycled off and on a lot. Off and On creates surges and spikes. Lightbulbs reportedly last more hours continuously on than cycled..

rangercaster and Crobbins like this.
  20. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

@BobbyZ is correct. Don't bother with the standby switch - just turn it on/off with the power switch, or leave it on at all times. Not all amps' caps will drain if it's turned off in any particular sequence - and if your tech may forget to discharge the caps before working on the amp you need a new tech!

Fender NEVER used the standby switches when turning amps on in the factory and many companies have never installed them. Others have because they HAD to from a marketing standpoint - players thought they were being shortchanged or buying a crappy amp without one.

They're useless.

Andy B, BobbyZ and LuthRavin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.