Just when I thought I was cured...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Bob M, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As I begin another year I felt that I had all the guitars I need or want. Probably the only "hole" in my collection is steel string acoustics. I have a '70s D 18 that I've had since new and really didn't think of acoustics until a few years ago when I played a J200 Gibson at CME. The cost-even of a used one-really was the main reason I never bought one. Also, used J200s don't seem to come around my area. Fast forward to last Saturday. I'm visiting friends in Portland, ME and I always stop by a nice shop-Buckdancer's Choice. Sitting in the middle of their acoustic room is a nice J200 in natural for $3,500. Not a bad price from what I see. My fear is that if I buy it I'm not sure if it would become a go-to guitar. I have bought lots of gear that I lusted after and once owned didn't connect with. So I figured I would bring this indecision here to see what this illustrious group thinks. Thanks in advance!

Greggorios and P Thought like this.
  2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

You’re not cured.

OldDude2 and Greggorios like this.
  3. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

If you’re a strummer, buy it.

If you’re a fingerpicker, save your money.

Bill, Greggorios, JL_LI and 2 others like this.
  4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I like yoru attitude wanting a complete collection. And I too always wanted a J200, but settled for a fine Taylor 615 from '89. It is a great guitar with a wonderful sound but I find little practical use for it other than enjoying it at home.

It is amazing how I can bump into things with a jumbo that don't affect me with smaller guitars. A jumbo delivers a lot of sound but that big sound can create feedback amplified. And the snappy maple back and sides deliver a bright crisp sound I like, but lacks a certain warmth you may find in your mahogany D-18.

Not trying to discourage you but I feel the chance it will become a go to guitar are not the best. Doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try, especially if the comments I made don't apply to you.

5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

We all have different budgets for guitars.

$3,500 for a "take a chance" guitar would just be too much for me.

OTOH, If you give it a go at least you'll know. :D

stormsedge likes this.
  6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

If you don't bond with it, selling it to get your money back should be easy.

I saw a J200 in natural up close a decade ago and I thought it was the most beautiful instrument I had ever seen. And I don't like big guitars with that exception.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide.

7. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

That’s on my wannaown list si I can’t help ya. Good luck.

8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You know the answer. Get it, and wear it out!

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’ve always been attracted to the
    J-200. Never will I find myself with the extra cash to buy one.

A few years ago, I found an ‘86 Gibson J-100E in a pawnshop.
    There are a few threads about it here.
    It needed the bridge reglued on the ornamental part of the mustache and a couple wires needed resoldering.
    I couldn’t be more satisfied.

I personally find it to be very versatile. Strummed or fingerpicking it is very even.

Not a loud guitar, but quite full and lush if that makes sense.

10. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I wanted a Jumbo when I was doing alot of acoustic singer-songwriter and worship leading stuff. Never got around to getting one, as my Martin 000-16 plugged in was adequate.

More recently, I wanted something to compliment and contrast the 000. I decided the warmth of a J-35 type would do it, and I finally settled on a J-35. It does fingerpicking, flatpicking, and strumming well, and has scratched my GAS itch for a bit anyway.

JL_LI likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

So if money is no object, play the Gibson for a while in the store. If you still like it after an hour, leave a few hundred cash deposit and come back the next day. If after thinking about it overnight and playing it again you believe it should be yours, buy it. Sometimes you only get that one chance, but enjoy the process whether you buy it or not.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  12. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Ok - start at the beginning you have a seasoned D18. Until you start wearing the strings out play it...no regrets.

If the money's wearing a hole in your pocket, then spend a couple of weeks reading and trying them out.

A new J200 is just that and how much are used ones going for 2k?

13. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

You can find a vintage jumbo Guild acoustic for 1/3 to 1/2 of that cost.

OldDude2 likes this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

There is no cure. But, as more than a few have indicated, $3500 is a ton for a guitar you aren't sure you completely love (not like...love). In the end, since you do not sound "in love", I'd say it depends on your fiscal position and attitude...one man's $3500 is another's $350.

Dukex and Bob M like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.