Just what this forum needs--an(other) "Are UFO's real?" thread!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Awe c'mon, let's face it. If a technological advanced craft came to inspect Earth, it would be a simple single flyby reporting back home that only primitive life forms exist and self-destructingly destroying their own planet habitat.

william tele likes this.
  2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

They could glean that from space-scraps of old "Hair in a Can" commercials, but point taken....

Obsessed and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Of course they are real, just have to figure out what they areo_O

4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of the account, just pointing out people have been seeing things that can't be explained, since before recorded history.

its not a recent phenom, though you'd think so if you only read the popular press.

5. magicfingers99

the moon is also conviently, just the perfect distance from earth to eclipse the sun when it orbits in front of it. So the diameter and the distance of the orbit match up perfectly to eclipse the sun...

creating awe when we look up at the sky..

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I think what was posted is a pretty straightforward description of a chariot army coming and creating havoc with armoured horses and incendiary arrows. It was probably obvious then too.. but that does not make for a good wooo story if you need some woo.

Egyptian raiding party or perhaps from China along the Silk Road. Animal feature on helmets too. No surprise there.

The gyroscope reference is anachronistic, suggesting some elaboration by a translator at some subsequent point.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like I presume most who post in this thread are, I am incapable of imagining stuff I cannot imagine. We can only do what we can do, right?
    And our imagination has to have limits, right?
    Especially if we self impose limits by calling stuff we cannot imagine, "woo".

Therefore, users of the most advanced human tech (military pilots) who regularly see flying tech they cannot attribute to any known human tech, and that is confirmed by radar which also cannot attribute the tech to any known human tech, must be wrong; because us guitar players with real life jobs cannot imagine what it could be.

One thing for example that I cannot imagine, is a civilization developing on a single planet, advancing enough to be capable of space travel vastly beyond our own capability, without destroying their own planets habitat.

Of course my lack of imagination is my own fault, and I suppose it would be possible for a civilization to value and develop such tech while also being globally 100% environmentally conservationist.

Or concurrently develop tech to fix/ replace damage to their planet.
    But the natural resources it would take to develop and sustain tech capable of such travel, and all the associated support tech?
    That would take a lot of resources for a lot of centuries, like the building materials presumably metals and plastics or whatever, plus the energy sources to sustain both planetary needs and travel needs.

My limited imagination says the math doesn't work for a single planet to sustain a single society or cooperating group of societies (yeah OK cooperating societies is crazy) for long enough to develop all that tech, without running out of resources to keep up manufacture; even with 100% recycling of all resources, because too much planetary resources would be spent on space travel over time, and any planet would be exhausted.

So; either it is impossible to travel beyond what we can personally imagine.

Or those who managed to do stuff we can't imagine, did so at the expense of the resources of less developed planets. Hopefully uninhabited planets.
    Or at least previously uninhabited planets after the extinction event/ process.

I suppose a third option would be that I cannot imagine doing all that and not using up planetary resources. But that part is simple math. If you start out with finite resources you cannot perform infinite tasks without running out of your finite supplies.
    Right?

And the fact that Sci Fi Fantasy has already explored this stuff doesn't make it any easier to reconcile!

As far as cave paintings, not sure why anyone feels a need to debunk them in a thread about the events of present day. Those are just individuals musings on their own beliefs, not evidence to support recent military findings.
    Or maybe the idea is that today's military personnel are like cave paintings, and not valid sources of info? Fair enough, lotta crazies on earth.
    Vivid imaginations should be banned as threats to general comfort and Amazon marketing schemes.

Obsessed likes this.
  8. magicfingers99

we tend to interpet the world through the lens of our perception, it is difficult to push that aside and attempted to ascertain what is being described.

John Nicholas and Obsessed like this.
  9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Quite. It is, according to my dictionary, a word coined in the 18th century* from Greek (guros) and Latin (scopium) words. Whatever Ezekiel called it, it wasn't 'gyroscope'.

*The Age of Reason folks, when science was picking itself up by its bootstraps, and discarding the woo of previous centuries. Although I recall that Aetheric Theory still held sway ;)

10. telemnemonics

What seems to be recent is that a certain branch of science has stopped using the crazy defense. For centuries we've lynched those crazies, and many have indeed been crazy, thus deserving of punishment.

I'd have to guess that the recent decriminalization of seeing stuff is related to repeated radar confirmation of stuff seen by those we formerly called crazies.
    OK so it wasn't actually criminal, but it derailed careers and bankrupted families.

One thing humans have struggled with for centuries is the tendency to discount anything confusing if there are some crazies to pin it on.
    Of course crazies are everywhere, so we virtually never conclude that we don't understand stuff, if we can conveniently blame the crazies.

Course, science does seem to constantly admit it doesn't yet understand stuff, because that's how science gets funding.

But the rest of us needn't admit to such scandalous thoughts!
    In fact it can still get us public ridicule...
    Not that I believe those pilots saw unexplainable stuff!

11. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

The Annunaki have been coming to earth for thousands of years. Read any Sitchen book.

12. magicfingers99

or it could have all been a pysops by the MOD. to create a "situation" which only more government laws and agency can solve.

the old "thesis -Antithesis" method. Squirrel, look over there...
    we need a law for squirrels...

13. RoscoeElegante

Thou museth mighty well.

But I would counter this--

"I suppose a third option would be that I cannot imagine doing all that and not using up planetary resources. But that part is simple math. If you start out with finite resources you cannot perform infinite tasks without running out of your finite supplies.
    Right?"
    --with the possibility that said hypothetical planet could have different resources than earth's. Perhaps resources more able to foster advancement to, and in ways, we can't conceive of, or have here. Perhaps resources that could be exploited without being exhausted, or could yield technologies that would replenish those resources. In other words, among what we struggle to imagine might be a planet (or two, or two million) that fosters development far different from what our own dear, battered planet tells us to believe is the norm.

Just had an image of a girl named Jupiter who seemed to answer all questions with her hula hoop skills. EDIT: While her sister Saturn sulks under the same maple keeping mom's Mercury cool.

Tom Waits, you may buy that song premise from me at a fair price. My wonky universal joint needs fixing.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  14. magicfingers99

science is just a different sort of woo, read up on quantum mechanics sometime.

15. RoscoeElegante

I wouldn't go that far. Or do that much undermining of demonstrables. The woo of science has 1) saved my and my kids' lives several times now, not even including those fairly useful polio vaccines, and 2) makes possible us using science's fruits (computers, harnessed electricity, the net) to tell each other...science is woo-ey. Yes, science can be dogma, can claim facts that get proven wrong or iffy. But it IS the scientific method that (best?) questions and corrects dogmas and facts claimed in error, yes?

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It is interesting to review the conclusions of Project Blue Book.

That's the official view. Not mine. The USAF's.

It is a matter of official record.

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/air-force/ufos.html#roswell

Fans of the woo might cry "official cover-up", but that would rather destroy their argument that sightings of alien aircraft are confirmed by Federal archives...

17. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

So I guess its settled. The government would never dream of covering up information or spreading misinformation. ;)

Wallo Tweed and magicfingers99 like this.
  18. magicfingers99

I'm not certain "science" allows us to beleive anything else, but that science is the one true path. Science is a fence, a beleif that all the universe can be quantified and classified and understood and replicated. and if you don't beleive what we beleive you are a heretic. it certainly shares a lot of aspects with religion or dogma, including shunning.

I like science as much as the next guy, but its a human invention and therfore subject to all our foibles, weaknesses and madness as much as anything else we touch.

I therefore do not place absolute faith in it. rather I regard it as a necessary evil to get from point a to point b. I'm sure its a transitory phenomena, that will in the future be replaced by some yet more perfect method of disssecting the universe, should we as a species manage to survive long enough to transcend our current inabilities.

I will take it over burning people at a stake for lack of belief or answering a question wrong, though....

19. telemnemonics

Please confirm that in the course of this thread, no thought was provoked on the internet. I will do the same.
    Stats prove that thought provocation cannot be achieved on the internet, and your repeated attempts to imply that it is possible are messing with Alexa.

Leave the thought to the thought bots!
    Alexa knows what thoughts will provide the fulfillment you need!
    Amazon fulfillment!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.