Just what this forum needs--an(other) "Are UFO's real?" thread!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Apr 24, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

FWIW, a close friend (because he combs his antennae to look like hair?), a famous Astrophysics prof here, has replied to my "Do you think UFO's are real?" yearly question with, "Possibly, if not probably. Lots of planets out there, lots of possibility of intelligent life with travel technology we haven't even conceived of, lots of supposed sightings. But until solid evidence is there...possibly, if not probably." (If so, I just hope they bring back Tiger Stadium and get rid of the umpiring calls reviews nonsense. Pod people to the rescue!)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...missing-ufo-sightings/?utm_term=.62d8bcf0dc3f

By Deanna Paul
    April 24 at 6:42 PM
    A recent uptick in sightings of unidentified flying objects — or as the military calls them, “unexplained aerial phenomena” — prompted the Navy to draft formal procedures for pilots to document encounters, a corrective measure that former officials say is long overdue.

“Since 2014, these intrusions have been happening on a regular basis,” Joseph Gradisher, spokesman for office of the deputy chief of naval operations for information warfare, told The Washington Post on Wednesday. Recently, unidentified aircraft have entered military-designated airspace as often as multiple times per month. “We want to get to the bottom of this. We need to determine who’s doing it, where it’s coming from and what their intent is. We need to try to find ways to prevent it from happening again.”

Citing safety and security concerns, Gradisher vowed to “investigate each and every report.”

Luis Elizondo, a former senior intelligence officer, told The Post that the new Navy guidelines formalized the reporting process, facilitating data-driven analysis while removing the stigma from talking about UFOs, calling it “the single greatest decision the Navy has made in decades.”

Chris Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence and staffer on the Senate Intelligence Committee, was less laudatory.

“I don’t believe in safety through ignorance,” he said, scolding the intelligence community for a lack of “curiosity and courage” and a “failure to react” to a strong pattern of sightings.

In some cases, pilots — many of whom are engineers and academy graduates — claimed to observe small spherical objects flying in formation. Others say they’ve seen white, Tic Tac-shaped vehicles. Aside from drones, all engines rely on burning fuel to generate power, but these vehicles all had no air intake, no wind and no exhaust.

“It’s very mysterious, and they still seem to exceed our aircraft in speed,” he said, calling it a “truly radical technology.”

According to Mellon, awestruck and baffled pilots, concerned that reporting unidentified flying aircraft would adversely affect their careers, tended not to speak up. And when they did, he said, there was little interest in investigating their claims.

“Imagine you see highly advanced vehicles, they appear on radar systems, they look bizarre, no one knows where they’re from. This happens on a recurring basis, and no one does anything,” said Mellon, who now works with UFOData, a private organization. Because agencies do not share this type of information, it is difficult to know the full extent of activity. Still, he estimated that dozens of incidents were witnessed by naval officers in a single year, enough to force the service to address the issue.

“Pilots are upset, and they’re trying to help wake up a slumbering system,” he told The Post.

Lawmakers’ growing curiosity and concern also appeared to coax action out of the Navy.

In 2017, the Pentagon first confirmed the existence of the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program (AATIP), a government operation launched in 2007 to collect and analyze “anomalous aerospace threats.” As The Post’s Joby Warrick reported, the investigation ranged from “advanced aircraft fielded by traditional U.S. adversaries to commercial drones to possible alien encounters.”

According to former Pentagon officials and documents previously seen by The Post, program funding, which totaled at least $22 million, was suspended in 2012.

Gradisher said in a statement that “in response to requests for information from congressional members and staff, officials have provided a series of briefings by senior Naval Intelligence officials as well as aviators who reported hazards to aviation safety."

Elizondo, who ran the AATIP, said the newly drafted guidelines were a culmination of many things, most notably that the Navy had enough credible evidence — including eyewitness accounts and corroborating radar information — to “know this is occurring.”

“If I came to you and said, ‘There are these things that can fly over our country with impunity, defying the laws of physics, and within moments could deploy a nuclear device at will,’ that would be a matter of national security,” Elizondo said.

With the number of U.S. military personnel in the Air Force and Navy who described the same observations, the noise level could not be ignored.

“This type of activity is very alarming,” Elizondo said, “and people are recognizing there are things in our aerospace that lie beyond our understanding.”

2. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I knew a guy named Miro Kubala who was a UFO chaser for the Air Force in the sixties. He flew a sabreliner out of Detroit and would scramble whenever there was a sighting in his region. He wouldn't tell me squat. Just grinned whenever he was asked.

uriah1 and Torren61 like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

UFOs certainly do exist, as long as there is something flying in the sky that people cannot identify.

Thats, um...what the term means.

5. RoscoeElegante

Flyboy, Teleterr, Greggorios and 4 others like this.
  6. RoscoeElegante

Smartypants! We're referring to UFO's from unearthly sources. You know, like from Disco, Wisconsin, or Embarrass, Wisconsin, or Footville, Wisconsin, or....

7. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Proof - David Bowie

Flyboy and RoscoeElegante like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

When I was in 4th grade I lived on a farm near an aerospace R&D company. There were some UFO sightings!

Once you understand the vast distances in outer space ... all practical UFO sightings are man-made. Either our government, the other governments, or businesses trying to develop devices to sell to one or the other governments. If they could bottle and sell swamp gas (the usual explanation for sightings made by common folk) they would do that.

If aliens were to make it to our outer rim location, with our young star and boring arrangement of planets, they would not be playing hide and seek.

9. RoscoeElegante

Well, as someone who misplaced his glasses for an hour this morning, only to find them in his sock drawer by accident, I'm not gonna argue certainty either way. But how do you dismiss the "sightings" reported above, by experienced and inclined-to-be-doubtful Airforce and Navy pilots? Maybe they're misperceiving natural phenomena in strikingly similar ways due to unconscious patterns of suggestion. They see a Y that is odd, the back of their minds sees that Y as they've heard peers X have seen it so they don't feel alone in the oddity, and then they themselves see Y as further "proof" that all Y's are X's, and the pattern seems confirmed. All very possible.

But in a universe that's fairily roomy, as you note, AND with some really magnetic guitar sounds coming from our speck of it, why dismiss that the pilots are seeing something...not coming from this planet itself?

I need to go play with the dog. This is creeping me out!

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If there were any real super intelligent beings in the universe, and they had visited, or visit earth, the earth would be most likely have already had its population destroyed just on the off chance we might somehow get beyond first base, er, the moon. I'm thinking anyone taking a good hard look at us would want to quarantine the joint, if they did nothing else. Especially if they had read Jakedog's post about his MIM Tele.

11. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I have my doubts that aliens intelligent enough to make it many light years from home would be so careless as to let themselves be detected.

12. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I know I'm gonna regret sharing this, but...

I was living in Pueblo, CO around 1998. It was fall and dark. I was on the back porch to smoke a cigarette. I was looking up at the starry night sky as I always do because I've seen a lot of meteors and satellites, nothing unusual... except this night.

I saw a very fast moving light that I determined was a meteor because of the speed. I cannot say with certainty how far away the object was but it seemed to be far away. I was looking up at about a 60 degree angle to the horizon. The object was traveling from 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock when suddenly it changed course and moved 90 degrees to 2 o'clock without slowing down. I could see it for a few seconds before and a few seconds after the course correction and then it was gone. I didn't see it accelerate, it just stopped being visible to me a few seconds after making the course change. I think I viewed it for a total of six or seven seconds.

I mean, it just changed direction and moved 90 degrees from its course and didn't slow down a bit. I watched the whole thing and knew immediately that it was impossible. If it had changed course but a few degrees, one could assume that it hit something else or any other explanation but to change course in such a dramatic angle isn't explainable if you want to suggest it was a satellite or meteor.

The light was smaller than what a satellite would appear to be which lead me to believe it was farther away and the speed at which it was traveling made me think it was far away and traveling at a very high rate of speed. Since I had no way to measure the speed or distance and can think of nothing that could maneuver in that way, it remains a mystery to me.

13. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I personally believe that they ARE real. There is very likely intelligent life out there somewhere- the numbers of galaxies and planets are just too great for there to not be. And the distances ARE mindblowingly large. But, if you think about how quickly human technology has advanced...from horses to the moon in less than 100 years, well, imagine a civilization 100,000 years, or a million, or a billion years more advanced than us. The distances are probably not significant for such advanced civilizations. (think worm holes- instantaneous travel through the fabric of space-time). And they may be so advanced that we're just a quaint species to them.

Of course, I could be wrong and they may want to eat us if they find us.

14. RoscoeElegante

OR...they would use us as the shabby part of their Tour the Species circus. "You're out of tickets, ZotZika88Blorb, Son of Kogar the Diode, but you can go watch the humanoids eat SPAM while watching Kardashians."

After all, we ARE a pretty good inverse lesson.

Plus, even if they could get here with us barely detecting it, they may not wanna waste good weapons on easy targets. Messing with my Strat's intonation while I'm sleeping probably satisfies them well enough....

15. RoscoeElegante

Yeah, but what if they're texting while intergalacticking? They might get pretty sloppy, bumping off black holes and "Matlock" signals and whatnot.

drlucky likes this.
  16. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Point taken....

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  17. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

18. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

They were very really and kicked ass

19. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

I'm pretty much agnostic on the idea of aliens. I've never seen a UFO. I'm usually more dismissive of claims, though, if they include "lights in the sky". Lights on aircraft are not to see, but to be seen. That would be a wierd thing to do if you're trying to keep your presence on the DL. Such advanced technology, traversing the vast distances of space with a possible mastery of wormholes, or faster-than-light travel - only to get here, and be like. "Oh ****! I forgot to turn off the lights!" :)

20. RoscoeElegante

I had a kind of similar experience, Torren61.

I was about 11, annoying the family by slapping tennis balls against the garage door with my hockey stick. A cold Buffalo night, about 9 p.m. Probably a Friday or Saturday, as I had to be inside by then, lying about having no homework, if it'd been a school night. No one else was around, except for a few passing cars now and then. Nice night.

Then ALL the neighborhood dogs starting barking, really hysterically. You could hear them clearly even through all the closed windows and doors. I looked around, nothing. Happened to look up, and at about a third of the way up from the horizon were three steady lights of an odd, and very lovely, color. Kind of like deep pastels. I'm kinda colorblind for blues and purples, but one was orange, one blue, and one red, as I recall. They hung there, about the size of large jetliner lights, in kind of a wide triangle. Then they moved toward one another, simultaneously, into a tighter triangle. Then, into an even tighter triangle. They moved so quickly that it was almost as if they were being caught by a strobe. Zip here, zip there. Then they dispersed, again very quickly, again simultaneously. The one at the triangle's bottom left zipped out of sight leftward, the one on the bottom right zipped out of sight rightward, and the one at the tip of the triangle zipped out of sight upward. The dogs began to calm down. My mom stuck her out of the door and asked what was going on--why had all the dogs been barking? I was too awestruck to say anything, and then thought, "No one is gonna believe this, and she already knows I've been lying about 10 things this week, and I'll need to get away with some more lies next week, so...." I did tell my friends the next day, but they tossed it aside into the "Lies about 'girlfriends' who live in other towns" bin.

I didn't begin this thread even remembering this episode--I just was struck by the Wash. Post article and thought, I know some fellow nuts who might find this interesting. I don't think about that odd sighting too often, but it did happen.

And when I told my Astrophysicist friend about it, he replied, "That kind of stuff gets reported a lot, and is usually explained away very rationally. But sometimes it can't be."

CUE "The Twilight Zone" theme song, with a "They're Coming to Take Me Away!" coda.

drlucky likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.