Just what the devil is it about Florida?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Jul 11, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My folks retired to Florida in 1985. I always looked forward to driving or flying down with the wife and kids for a visit. I was always relieved when the visit was over and I could leave. The tribalism was palpable. I never understood how their Canadian snowbird friends could tolerate the place unless it was that the winter weather in Peterborough was even less tolerable.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nothing new at all, that's a tactic that's as old as the hills. What's more, things are nuts everywhere, Florida just has better advertising people.

rand z likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Florida is very very dangerous and miserable. I suggest everyone stay away:p

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

My brother lives in Jupiter, the fancy town where tiger woods got his DUI. Honestly, it's about my least favorite state, and I have been to most, lived in four. don't get it. No danger of me moving there!

verb boten likes this.
  5. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

My theory is crazy folks drift until they bump up against water and can't go any further. This helps explain a lot of right and left coast looniness

6. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

You know I really don’t care for Florida or California. It’s not the ocean, I don’t think. I can’t really put my finger on it. I like Louisiana though so it isn’t the swamp. I’ll think on it some and maybe it will come to me :rolleyes:

scrimmer and playforfun like this.
  7. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Any time you have people you have good and bad ones. On either coast, and in the Rockies. I lived in SoCal. Got busted a few times that I deserved it. You had local cops that couldn’t get on with the sheriffs, but still had good cops. I was treated fair and honestly. Florida is crowded and so is SoCal. I still go back but only see my sister, surf, and play a little music.

8. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

9. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Watch the video "Seattle is dying". We have a problem that is spreading to other cities.

telestratosonic likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

and yet when one thinks of blight... KC and St Louis are on the all star team.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My friend the maestro was caught in a police vehicle in Malaysia between two burly Polisi. They pulled out a bag of white powder. All he was doing was reporting stolen goods as he and his wife were reporting stolen watches. Boy was he lucky to get out of there. He won't go back.

12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka TDPRI Member

To Serve and Protect.

It's a known fact that most the strange and unusual behaviours in florida is a direct result of peoples tap water having low levels of crocodile and alligator urine in the water. Most folks are not affected by the pollutant, where as a small percentage ( 63% ) of population have aberrant behaviors.
    (it could happen):rolleyes:

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

You have to be crazy to live in a swamp?

beyer160 likes this.
  14. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I’ll give you St Louis , but KC has only a small area that really bad. But it IS CERTAINLY bad. Yet I have routinely worked in both, along with every other major city around the country, and I’ve never been shot at, knifed, mugged or anything else. Even though I seem to seee a constant barrage of these things in the news.

Oh well, I Don’t have answers, I just know what the questions are

15. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

People are fleeing California, just sayin...

16. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

When "the devil went down to Georgia" he kept traveling south. I think the problem with Florida is Floridians, a real mix of groups most of which are aggressively self-interested, hostile to others, entitled, and pursuing truly narrow agendas. The Cuban-Americans feel like they are a specially privileged group, as do the elderly, the rich... It's just a bad mix, and of course public institutions there are self-evidently corrupt and unreliable. It angers me when the dysfunction of an individual state spills over to affect national governance that way it does with Florida. After screwing up one election after another, why do we even count their vote?

17. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

There's good and bad things about every state. I've lived in PA, NY, MN, MO, CT, WI and FL.

IM maybe not so humble O.

My fav is NY. Lot's of savvy peep's and diverse pretty landscapes to digest. The women are kinda classy, decently educated, mostly good-looking, somewhat wordly and interesting. I suppose it's the same for the men. Met lot's of good, cool people there!!

The least fav is FL. HOT, HUMID, mostly flat and the many of the locals (men & women) have a rough edge to them. Not mean, but kinda red-necky. (The word "Cracker" came from the FL cattlemen... whip's.) Then there's the non-locals... a diverse crowd of people who have a few dollar's and very little sense, IMO.

MN is too cold, and many of the peeps have a kinda artificial nicety to them...i.e. theyre not straight shooter's. (In NY, they'll tell you pretty quickly to go away.) And, many bad things happened to me there, because of it. But, they've got 10,000 lakes... that are 4ft deep.

I like WI. More genuine and they like beer, A LOT! They like to have fun, too. In natural way's (boating, fishing, hiking, canoeing, drinking beer and eating good cheese!). Good people!

MO was just SO-SO. I never got a strong sense of anything in the months that I lived there. I guess things are very "laid-back" or something.

PA is where I grew up and have spend a lot of time. It's visually pretty, diverse, but the peep's are a little naive and backwards, especially in rural areas. The state educational system could be better... NY's is, and it shows. Conservative, religious and slow-moving seems to be the attitude. (They need to get rid of the LCB, an old albitross of the temperance daze.)

CT is much like NY, but smaller. Savvy people, $$$$, diverse landscapes... they're a bit snooty in spot's but also open-minded. But, you have to have $$$$ to stay around.

I suppose that IT'S ALL GOOD!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

been there once, did some fishing , played on a rocket and a space shuttle, visited the happiest place on earth, watched a well trained Walrus and Orca visited a movie set or two, bought a set of mouse ears then drove to see a rock castle , lots of dead armodillos and gators on the side of the road, went to Key west, stuck my foot in the gulf and in the atlantic drank orange juice then went home.

Oh Yeah I almost got killed during a police bust ( nothing to do with us )

my kid left for orlando last tuesday

19. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

20. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Or me. Whenever i think of relocating to a warmer climate, florida is never on the list. Someone mentioned tribalism and that's how i pictured it: emigrants from the carribean area locate with their countrymen and others are shut out. Old, alone and no longer with your "A Game" is no way to try to live there.
    No offense to TGP Floridians.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.