Just watched Top Gun for the third time

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
This forum is full of "too cool for school" guys that find something that's popular and have to poop on it.

Yes, it IS a little cheesy, but I swear some of these posters are on such a high horse.
Agreed, not a bad movie I have seen it a few times. I wasn’t trying to watch a documentary just clear my head.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
That movie was a recruiting tool for the armed forces as much as anything. No one had attempted to make such a movie with aircraft carriers, jet fighters (including the F14 Tomcat the most badass Fighter of all time as the main character. Huge inefficient, and super fast).

It came out when I was a kid....and I wanted to be a fighter pilot after seeing the jets. Turned out I liked girls and rock n roll, but 8 year old cosmic cowboy was sure he wanted to fly one of those things.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I saw it when it was released and never considered watching it again.

I'm not on a high horse, I just didn't think it was a good movie. YMMV

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
@Toto'sDad TG was the only film other than Risky Business that I actually thought he was cast well for. He is the perfect size for a fighter pilot at 5'6". The other behemoths including Goose would actually be a little large for a jet seater.

As far as the movie... I grew up in the big hair, crotch rocket days of the mid 80's and it was AWESOME! Kelly McGinnis turned a lot of boys into men when she said, "Maverick, take me to bed of lose me forever..."

But as most have said, "it is about the planes" although I still shed a tear when Mav says, "watch the canopy!"
You're right real fighter pilots tend to be shorter, have short muscular necks, and be able to stand a lot of force and stress on their bodies and not pass out. I can't help it, when I see Tom Cruise doing a love scene I'm reminded of Jimmy Durante. That nose man, that nose! It keeps flopping around, I keep holding my breath, is that thing going to swing around and knock the object of his affection clear out!

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
@Toto'sDad TG was the only film other than Risky Business that I actually thought he was cast well for. He is the perfect size for a fighter pilot at 5'6". The other behemoths including Goose would actually be a little large for a jet seater.

As far as the movie... I grew up in the big hair, crotch rocket days of the mid 80's and it was AWESOME! Kelly McGinnis turned a lot of boys into men when she said, "Maverick, take me to bed of lose me forever..."

But as most have said, "it is about the planes" although I still shed a tear when Mav says, "watch the canopy!"

I love "Risky Business." It's a thinking person's teen comedy.

Cruise is at his best when he plays a callow, superficial guy struggling to evolve and overcome the hubris that is forever getting him in trouble. In the last decade, I've enjoyed him in "American Made," "Edge of Tomorrow" and, to my great surprise, "The Mummy" (it helped that my expectations were low). I'm not so fond of him when he plays the can-do hero.

I'm making plans to hate watch "Days of Thunder," the Tom Cruise/Simpson-Bruckheimer/Tony Scott follow-up to "Top Gun," co-starring Nicole Kidman as an impossibly young neurosurgeon.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
You're right real fighter pilots tend to be shorter, have short muscular necks, and be able to stand a lot of force and stress on their bodies and not pass out. I can't help it, when I see Tom Cruise doing a love scene I'm reminded of Jimmy Durante. That nose man, that nose! It keeps flopping around, I keep holding my breath, is that thing going to swing around and knock the object of his affection clear out!

The other week, I watched a recording of the TCM broadcast of the 1934 pre-Code Hollywood comedy "Hollywood Party" and my big takeway was that Jimmy Durante had a surprisingly athletic body.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
It’s as bad as the first two watchings. Definitely not a wine in that it doesn’t get better with time.
I can't stand Tom Cruise. I don't think I ever watched Top Gun and have no plans to. Why would you suffer through it three times?

On the other hand, I've watched both seasons of the series "Patriot" 3 times now.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The other week, I watched a recording of the TCM broadcast of the 1934 pre-Code Hollywood comedy "Hollywood Party" and my big takeway was that Jimmy Durante had a surprisingly athletic body.

I'd watch that, just to see Jane run! Jimmy must have drunk a lot of booze AFTER that was made!

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I can't stand Tom Cruise. I don't think I ever watched Top Gun and have no plans to. Why would you suffer through it three times?

On the other hand, I've watched both seasons of the series "Patriot" 3 times now.

I'm not a Cruise fan. I think it's that juvenile Jr High boy smile he always has, no matter how serious the situation. It's a pallor, and aura, that surrounds him. Plastic.

He has done some good stuff, but I usually come away from his movies thinking someone else could have done it better.

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
You did not watch the true, original Top Gun unless you saw the western featuring Sterling Hayden.

The Navy adopted "top gun" notion of being the best shot and killer from the western but few realize that.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I love "Risky Business." It's a thinking person's teen comedy.

Cruise is at his best when he plays a callow, superficial guy struggling to evolve and overcome the hubris that is forever getting him in trouble. In the last decade, I've enjoyed him in "American Made," "Edge of Tomorrow" and, to my great surprise, "The Mummy" (it helped that my expectations were low). I'm not so fond of him when he plays the can-do hero.

I'm making plans to hate watch "Days of Thunder," the Tom Cruise/Simpson-Bruckheimer/Tony Scott follow-up to "Top Gun," co-starring Nicole Kidman as an impossibly young neurosurgeon.

Oh man @Skully I forgot about "Edge of Tomorrow". It is one of my favorites and a go to on a long boring flight if nothing else grabs my attention. Seriously under rated movie with the lovely Emily Blunt!

I was somewhat not a Mummy fan as you are, I liked the original campy one with Brandon.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You did not watch the true, original Top Gun unless you saw the western featuring Sterling Hayden.

The Navy adopted "top gun" notion of being the best shot and killer from the western but few realize that.

Sterling Hayden was far more interesting as a man than any movie he ever made. He swiped his kids during a custody battle and sailed around the world with them in a square rigger. He evaded arrest for close to or just over a year. He sure wasn't short on cojones.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Colonel, I want the truth, does this uniform make me look short?

1652752392713.png

We've been all through this before.

1652752539106.png

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Not a big fan of Cruise, although Oblivion and Edge Of Tomorrow I thought were both beautifully shot and epic films. Top Gun is a great film, the star is definitely the Tomcat. If you're into aviation it's just great, if not well why would you watch a film about aircraft? It's not meant to be a serious film but it's beautifully shot, the soundtrack is pretty good, and it's just a bit of escapism for a couple hours - what's wrong with that?

Otisblove

Tele-Meister
I don't know what you Tom Cruise haters are talking about. I love the guy. Edge of Tomorrow. Taps. Minority Report. Magnolia. Born on the Fourth of July. All of the Mission Impossible movies. Collateral. Risky Business. Jerry Maguire. A Few Good Men. The Color of Money. And my personal favorite Tom Cruise performance - Rain Man.

Sure he's been in some bad movies. So has every other movie actor in the world except maybe John Cazale and James Dean.

That said, this new Top Gun has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes as of today and I just can't imagine how that could be. Yes I can. They give reviewers free tickets and maybe some swag. At least that's what I imagine happens.