Just watched Top Gun for the third time

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s as bad as the first two watchings. Definitely not a wine in that it doesn’t get better with time.

I watched it last night, just because it was on network TV, and it was just as bad as I remembered it being as well. I still don't know who the heck they were fighting in the last dog fight scenes using live ammo. Did they suddenly enter into a war?

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I watched it last night, just because it was on network TV, and it was just as bad as I remembered it being as well. I still don't know who the heck they were fighting in the last dog fight scenes using live ammo. Did they suddenly enter into a war?
By that time we had pretty much lost interest but something about an “incident” that wasn’t fully explained, as I recall

jman72

Friend of Leo's
Wow, I must have been the exception because when I saw it in high school it turned me into a fighter jet fanatic! I had posters of F-15's and F-16's all over my bedroom wall. I even built a life-size model of a Sidewinder missile and hung it from my ceiling. My friends and I were all fighter jet nerds back then, and it was all because of Top Gun.

Coincidentally, I just watched it again on Thursday and I marveled at how awesome it is! Cheesy '80s, Kenny Loggins, Danger Zone awesome! I can't wait for Maverick to come out!

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
By that time we had pretty much lost interest but something about an “incident” that wasn’t fully explained, as I recall

I was the same way, by that point I was just playing my guitar on the couch, and I guess I missed whatever premise for the live fire was.

I have heard some pretty good reviews on the new flick though, so maybe after 35 something years he finally got it right?

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
I've never seen it. Nothing about Tom Cruise has ever clicked with me. These days I simply can't get past his zealotry. Whatever character he's attempting to depict in a story never really convinces me. My mind just sees a crazy zealot who fails to arouse any kind of belief in the overall story. I simply keep banging my head against the fourth wall.

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity

Just watched Top Gun for the third time"​

Wow! You are a brave man

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Wow, I must have been the exception because when I saw it in high school it turned me into a fighter jet fanatic! I had posters of F-15's and F-16's all over my bedroom wall. I even built a life-size model of a Sidewinder missile and hung it from my ceiling. My friends and I were all fighter jet nerds back then, and it was all because of Top Gun.

Coincidentally, I just watched it again on Thursday and I marveled at how awesome it is! Cheesy '80s, Kenny Loggins, Danger Zone awesome! I can't wait for Maverick to come out!

This forum is full of "too cool for school" guys that find something that's popular and have to poop on it.

Yes, it IS a little cheesy, but I swear some of these posters are on such a high horse.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
This forum is full of "too cool for school" guys that find something that's popular and have to poop on it.

Yes, it IS a little cheesy, but I swear some of these posters are on such a high horse.

When I checked it out again a few years ago, the idea was to see if the problem was me back when I first saw it, or the film itself. I found that, indeed, it was the film itself. Nonetheless, I ventured to watch it again today with several members of my family. Once again, the film did not improve, but I was able to enjoy it a little more, mostly on a hate watch level, but we should take whatever pleasure we can from life, as long as we don't harm others.

1guy

Tele-Meister
I don't know if I've seen TG more than once? I must have. But the main thing I recall about it was a high end audio shop a friend worked at used it to demo the new home theater gear they were selling. I thought it was pretty cool to have that sort of stuff in your house... way too expensive for me but I enjoyed sitting in the shop watching it.

Anyway, getting back to the movie, I liked it back then so probably shouldn't watch it again. I've seen a few movies again decades later and wondered what the heck I ever saw in it.

I'll see the new movie though, why not?

The home theater/surround sound effect was pretty good at the time.

But yeah, it was heavy on the cheese factor as well.
I suppose its a "period piece" to me though. Lots of cheese to choose from if one cared to.

Oddly, I find alarming similarities.

I was one of those guys who used it as one of my demo scenes, at an AV store, back in the day...the sound wasn't great until it came out on DVD in Dolby Digital sound...

The scene where the jet spins...I think I've used that and seen it HUNDREDS of times...made alotta money off that and Jurassic Park.

I also saw it again, most of the way through. It's cheesy as hell, but I wanna see the new flick, so...

wildschwein

Tele-Afflicted
I liked it when I saw it as a kid. As an action film with a sort of play on the story of the Icarus myth it's okay and I can still watch it. The music is fine and I like the theme tune that Steve Stevens played on. Tom Cruise is his usual typecast character (the man with a missing piece who needs to find it) and he works this range well. The problems with the film for me begin when you compare it too much to reality. The sort of insubordination shown by Maverick is not the kind of behavoiur genrally tolerated by most 'functional' military entities. Maverick largely fails his way to the top mainly through reckless behaviour. In fact, he gets into Top Gun because he is a loose unit.

The Russians are also given no semblence of humanity at all and are just black masked figures.

Last edited:

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I liked it when I saw it as a kid. As an action film with a sort of play on the story of the Icarus myth it's okay and I can still watch it. The music is fine and I like the theme tune that Steve Stevens played on. Tom Cruise is his usual typecast character (the man with a missing piece who needs to find it) and he works this range well. The problems with the film for me begin when you compare it too much to reality. The sort of insubordination shown by Maverick is not the kind of behavoiur genrally tolerated by most 'functional' military entities. Maverick largely fails his way to the top mainly through reckless behaviour. In fact, he gets into Top Gun because he is a loose unit.

The Russians are also given no semblence of humanity at all and are just black masked figures.

well, maybe. the russians get fleshed out just fine in Red Heat.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I liked it as a 15 year old when it first came out, then thought it was lousy for the next 10 years, then fell in love with it again in the mid 90s for its insane campiness and unintentional humor. I love those kinds of movies, but even leaving that aside, the aerial photography holds up quite well.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
I watched it first when I was a young teenager. Loved it. Still have a few model F14s in my man cave.

Watched it again last week, still love it. What do I know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
My name is Jack "Top Gun" Reacher, I'm short, but I'm loud. I can fly circles around you, and whip twenty-five guys six foot tall without raising a sweat. I was born one morning when the sun didn't shine, so if you're looking for trouble, damn, getting that all mixed up with Elvis. Well, at least Elvis wasn't short.

@Toto'sDad TG was the only film other than Risky Business that I actually thought he was cast well for. He is the perfect size for a fighter pilot at 5'6". The other behemoths including Goose would actually be a little large for a jet seater.

As far as the movie... I grew up in the big hair, crotch rocket days of the mid 80's and it was AWESOME! Kelly McGinnis turned a lot of boys into men when she said, "Maverick, take me to bed of lose me forever..."

But as most have said, "it is about the planes" although I still shed a tear when Mav says, "watch the canopy!"