Just watched some you tube videos of gibson reviews. Many negative comments on quality.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AJ Ray, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I wonder whether Ralph Nader has anything to say on this topic.

I have an entry level Gibson SG 60s Tribute. It is well made apart from the frets which could have been filed better.

I like the P90s on this guitar, they sound great and this is the only lefty guitar i own that has fully functioning tone pots. I don't mint that the pots are wired right handed because for once in my life I have a guitar with tone pots that do more than on/off.

2. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

I just dropped my Epiphone Les Paul to my local luthier for new nut and had a chat with him about Gibsons since I was on look out for a Les Paul Gold top 2nd hand. He had some "colorful" words to say about them. Reckons there are better alternatives out there and I should save my pennies. Tough to argue with a luthier!

3. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

When we get to the 50th litigation, I propose a 50th Anniversary custom inlay marking the occasion. :lol:

archetype likes this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have

2016 LP Trad

2012 SG Std

2014 339 Studio

All of them had no issues at al . A good setup and off to the races

Now I have 50's spec LP with P90s on the way, should be about here in about 3 weeks. I'm not expecting any issues this time either

5. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

/\/\/\ - that's it exactly! If I want to enter a complete lottery on the QC & setup of a guitar, I'll go to AliExpress or somewhere similar. If I'm going to be paying Gibson prices, then I certainly expect an appropriate level of quality control & setup has been applied.

My personal experience of recent Gibsons is limited, but I did get chance to play a LP Classic Player Plus recently, and then an Epi 56 Gold Top straight after (all with p-90's), and I preferred the feel and 'playability' of the Epi. That purely subjective, of course. The build quality seemed to be about the same - both were very good - but of course the price was not the same, or anywhere near.

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Oh, yeah! Inlay at the 12th fret, although I'd rather have a medalion on the back of the headstock so we don't alter the classic "look."

WilburBufferson likes this.
  7. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

8. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

9. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

He must be a hater as well? Or maybe just someone with an opinion he is likely more than qualified to have. Their prices are obscene and for that I would expect excellence. Not just 80%, 90% or 95% of the time.

10. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Why do those of you who are unhappy that this topic has been raised " again" and are fed up with it even get involved. There must be hundreds of other threads you could read? I bet gibson don't write to say thanks to you

11. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

And I don't care what pros play. I care what I play and what I get for my money

12. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

a friend bought a (new run) 2019 std LP recently, the 1960 model. he loves it

it was the 6th across 3 shops he tried before he found one that both played well and did not suffer cosmetic issues. and even then one of the saddles slipped making it sound like one of the frets had popped up. luckily we found this before the files and fret rockers came out

bottom line is - on a £2k guitar, it should be flawless - whether you are buying from a mom and pop shop or it shipping from a big retailer. there is a lot that a decent set up can fix - and that should be the retailer making margin as a value add, or taking the risk the warehouse Amazon ships from doesn't have a tech going over each instrument - but the guitar fundamentally needs to be right in its build and finish straight from the factory

it seems Gibson has moved in the right direction regarding QC, but they have not reached a point where they are as dependable as many guitars retailing at 1/2 the price

13. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

What videos did you watch? I'd like to check them out.

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Me neither

Had 4 Les Paul, 1 Nighthawk, 2 SGs, one Dreadnouhgt acoustic... now I just keep one LP and one SG. Nothing wrong ever

bftfender likes this.
  15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

It's a handmade guitar, there are variables in any hand finishing process.
    Make one yourself, there are kits, and you will find that 2 to 3k is not alot of money for the work involved.
    Almost everyone else uses a poly finish that feels like plastic, Gibson still finishes all of their guitars in Nitro which is much more expensive to do.

16. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I don't put much stock in a stranger's youtube video. They can manipulate the results pretty much any way they want.

17. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

For what they are I'm not sure I can justify their prices in my head. If some folk find that offensive then so be it but I didnt start this thread to offend and start an argument. To be honest I though people would ignore threads they didnt like or agree with.
    I did order what turned out to be a very nice guitar from Thomann 5 years ago for £830. Sold it for the same price just to cover my costs

18. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Te j45 standard retails in guitar guitar at £2199. That's a whack of cash for a humble average wage earner to pay for something that potentially in some cases could be finished better in sone areas

19. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

When I was a student teacher I had a car which cost less than a quarter of that amount lol

20. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I have 3 Gibbys, no issues ever...... Love my Fenders, my Squiers, my Epiphones too, no issues other than what I created, modifying and generally abusing them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.