Just watched some you tube videos of gibson reviews. Many negative comments on quality.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AJ Ray, Oct 17, 2019.

1. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

It makes me wonder what makes them worth the many extra pounds over cheaper guitars such as my Gordon Smith double cutaway. I have owned many of them over the years and they don't feel or play any better in my opinion

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

Here we go again...

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

user error

4. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Put it this way...I've got one of the newer Auden Gordon Smith's and in terms of playability it's the best guitar I've ever owned (or played). It does have some issues with the electronics, and I'm getting it rewired with new Creamery pickups when they arrive, but regardless it's the only guitar I've ever owned that I *know* is a keeper for life. I do wish they would use better components by default for the electronics (they seem to use mini pots and cheap switches/jacks unless you specify a CTS loom for extra money), but disregarding that it's one hell of a guitar.

I ordered a brand new Gibson 2019 Les Paul Special a few weeks ago, and whilst it was a nice guitar (although didn't play quite as well as my GS) it had horrific file gouges in the binding extending into the fingerboard, and was swiftly returned for a full refund! Might just have been unlucky but no way i would order another Gibson sight unseen, doesn't look like their QC issues have gone...i decided not to get another one, and bought a couple of decent Epiphones to replace it (and still have an awful lot of change) - a 57 Junior reissue, and a 56 Goldtop, both used and both lovely.

5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

interesting...have many..not 1 issue..ever

6. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

As i say, i think i was just unlucky, but it put me off....and i actually prefer the Epi 57 to the Gibson, make of that what you will

7. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I'm a Fender guy, but I'm not a Gibson hater. Gibson has had their ups and downs like any manufacturer, it just seems like lately it's been mostly downs.

My understanding is that Gibsons are just different than other guitars in terms of QC. The QC is very uneven and wildly inconsistent even across lines. Seems like a bit of a crapshoot if you're going to get a good one or a bad one.

8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

A very dry fretboard the only issue I ever had and that was on an ex demo guitar - yes surprising the shop didn’t do anything but then again maybe not surprising given the lack of care evident with many retailers...

I have 7 Gibsons. They are all excellent guitars, even the lowly couple of Classics I have from 2011 and 2013.

gitold likes this.
  9. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I have many guitars, most Asian. The quality on the Asians is not out done by any of the Gibson’s. Epiphone is second to none, including Gibson and Fender even MIJ Fenders.
    M not willing to pay thousands of extra dollars just today I have a Gibson or PRS. I’ll buy an Epiphone or Ibanez or a Yamaha and keep the rest of the money for other of life’s pleasures. But Gibson has several guitars now in the$1500 range, that’s affordable if the guitar is unique and can’t be found elsewhere for less. But it’s a move in the right direction.

LOSTVENTURE and Jim603 like this.
  10. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="h4ck.b0x7, post: 9374501,
    Sorry has someone already asked this question. I didnt think of doing a search first

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a few "new" Gibsons (some cheap,some more expensive) from 2006-2013 and they are all fine guitars.

My cheap 2008 P90 loaded Tribute LP is a fantastic guitar at a silly price and my 2011 Traditional LP is absolutely amazing (and light)

Never saw any real dogs (the only few real dogs I have encountered from Gibson were mostly 70s & 80s ones)

The very recent change in management/ownership is moving the company in a more "old school" direction so I am expecting even better quality in the future.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, bring out the popcorn:

Gibson always has a target on it's back, because they are the bonefide gold standard in production guitars. Get over it.

I have three Epiphones. Why? Because I really don't play at a level to justify the costs of Gibsons. If I played better, perhaps, although I have learned a tremendous amount replacing just about everything I could to make my Epi Sheraton to sound and play like a Gibson 335. My wife has a 2017 Gibson LP Studio that rocks in every way. My dream guitar is a specific Gibson acoustic. The best dread I have ever played was a Gibson. Don't get me wrong, I love my MIM tele and MIM Strat, but they are kit guitars compared to most Gibsons and quite frankly, Leo designed them that way.

Just sayin'

stnmtthw, basher and LowCaster like this.
  13. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I got a 2019 Explorer a few months back. I wanted to check out a post Henry J. guitar. Gibson has definitely gone back to basics on building decent instruments. No complaints on that one. Plenty of complaints when I got my '00 LP Classic.

graybeard65 and Flakey like this.
  14. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

There are so many great guitars out there... buy what you like.

MickM, modavis99 and MilwMark like this.
  15. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

O
    Get over it? Em no

I just don't understand how they have increased their prices dramatically since I bought my first j45 about 12 years ago and they are able to put iut guitars with shoddy finishing. I've had a few I have really liked by the way. I'm not a gibson basher. Maybe just disappointed that I could spend 2 to 3 k on a guitar and get something that is finished to a poor standard

kodiakblair likes this.
  16. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

I have a 2018 Gibson Firebird and I like it, but it is harder to play than my Fender Jazzmaster. I got it new for $1300 though.

17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Surprised this is still a thing. I'd have thought all the haters would have worn themselves out p!ss!ng and moaning by now and moved on.

SheldonP, studio1087, NewKid and 5 others like this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Or 2 to 3 or 4k for a bolt-on neck solidbody?:confused::twisted:o_O;):eek::D:p:cool:

joebloggs13 and stnmtthw like this.
  19. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Just bought a "61" SG with lyre vibrato. A great guitar. Bought a new Firebird back in 2017. Returned due to paint bubbling up off the body. Bought a new L.P. Tradition in 2013. Fantastic guitar. No issues. Bought a barely used 2003 L.P. Standard premium plus. No issues but the finish, at the time 10 years old, was starting to sink along the waves of figuring of the top. You could run your hands over it and feel the waves. None of them played poorly.

highgreenchilly likes this.
  20. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

there must be 3 or 4 million les pauls out there. Given that amount it's easy for a youtuber to get views by finding the one or two out of hundreds that suck.

MilwMark, Jerry J and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.