Just watched a pet die ...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Jul 14, 2020.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

... hit by a car as I was shutting the shades ... it ran to its house across the street, but Ms. Nutz found it dead by the side of the house ... we left a note, and they came home with a new puppy just as we went back home ... I had wrapped it in one of our towels ... we talked ...

I know that we've all suffered, especially recently, but Ms. Nutz's stepdad's death in late October sorta started chit off, and we've personally lost multiple human and animal lives since ...

I give daily thanks, though no deities involved ... how 'bout chu ... ?

Mods kill if not appropriate ...

Edited to add ... I get the "no-loose-animals" ... let's not go there for now, please ...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Oh man. Hard to watch. I’m sorry for the animal, and for you having to watch without being able to intervene.

P-Nutz likes this.
  3. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear that Man. It's always tough. My pets I always thought of as my children.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I feel you my brother. We have had much loss since last fall (my dog had to be put down--mouth cancer, she was 16) my mother in law, one of my friends mom to the 19, one of our family just lost their dog to 'the bloat'... what is weird is they have all gotten 'new dogs' and kind of moved on and my wife and I are just kind of soaking it all in first. Our remaining pup is a 12 year old lab who is slowing at a pace that fills me with dread...

When they put my pup down (my wife begged me not to do it the old way) when I think about her, I see her in the last moments and then gone and then all the different stages of her life...

A few years ago, I was flying down the road from the ranch and hit a pig with the mighty prius... and I stopped after the porker nearly destroyed the car... I walked back and the pig was bad off... I went back to the ranch, got a weapon and returned... found the pig had struggled to get away mostly unsucessfully... these things.. they can etch you for sure... and all the reason in the world almost never changes a mind.

koolaide, P-Nutz, tintag27 and 3 others like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sad to see pets pass on, less often do we see people make that shift, or maybe. Hard losing loved ones and sometimes humans are closer to their pet than to any other humans, so...

Sunday I learned that a friend in 12 step recovery passed the dumb way. Addiction isn't dumb but it's a dumb way to go if given the choice.
    Same day my in laws lost a friend to the latest thing, but he was already mostly lost to alzheimer's so it may have been a better option.
    One of his last breaths (I'm told) he coughed at the little slot in the glass that his wife and daughter were allowed to get close enough to say goodbye through, so they had a worrisome few days.
    A few weeks before that an old friend who was an early Father figure skipped out on all this, after a few years in a nursing home.

We have only one pet right now, a chinchilla, and she got a little sick yesterday.
    I worry that losing the last pet could really crush my wife, who is more isolated than me due to being out of work in an environment where the business is entertaining folks who travel from cities.
    A few days ago she asked me to drive her to NJ to buy a skunk!
    ...Just a little one...

6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Like Td I lost my dog , Stitch. It was like losing one of your immediate family. So sad to hear these people have had to deal with so much in the past year.

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I am the family executioner .Cats ,dogs ,mangled birds even a suffering hamster etc.Its me who who takes them to the vets to be euthenised and it was me who had to help a called out vet to put down our springer who had literally gone of its head in the worst way possible and put my wife in hospital .I wish I had owned a shot gun that day and done it quickly. I have never talked about it to my family .Its just a job done and dusted and move on ,but its always there .

tomkatf, P-Nutz, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  8. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

I live alone with my Maggie. Before her there was Katie who passed to cancer. I held her while they gave the injection and took her home and found her a place to rest. It is a great commitment and not for everyone. I appreciate the OP for treating the creature with dignity. Was at the vet last year getting Maggie a checkup when a car pulled in. The woman walked in and was sobbing. She had her very old St Bernard with her that was unable to walk and was there for a specific reason. I helped the vet carry the dog in and get him on the table and then sat with the lady afterwards until she felt composed enough to drive. I would be lying if I said I did not shed a few tears of my own when I got back to the house.

tomkatf, P-Nutz and tintag27 like this.
  9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

A few years back , I watched in total helplessness as a Pug ran under a trailer tandem . I picked him up and headed to the vet while he died beside me . I returned him to the place that the incident took place and laid him at the house . I don't know if his owner found him or not . At least he did not die totally alone .

P-Nutz, nojazzhere and tintag27 like this.
  10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Had a bad run myself over the past 5 years. My dad went in 2015, followed by my dog Sugar in 16. My mum in 16. Then in 17 my dog Bugsy, then my brother last year. It's been a rough 5 years, but you have to move on. I went through some counselling at the end of last year, which has helped a lot, but I still feel the overwhelming loss.

I'm just really glad I've got the love of my wife and kids, that has been my tonic through it all. It's the order of things that your parents go first, and pets aren't around forever, but my brother, that was what really was a body blow.

P-Nutz, nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

There's a rabbit who enjoys my backyard. This guy:
    [​IMG]
    I like to go have a beer and read awhile in my backyard after work, but he often beats me to my spot, so I then surrender the backyard to him. I figure first come, first served...

Yesterday I watched a cat (dragging a leash behind it) stalk MY rabbit, in MY backyard. The rabbit was too smart and too fast, and it escaped unharmed. Afterwards I rapped on the glass of my patio door and the cat looked at me and scatted.

I have murderous intentions towards that cat, if it harms MY rabbit :mad:

Kloun, P-Nutz, tintag27 and 3 others like this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We buried our cat who had been with us for all of her 15 years about 6 weeks ago. It was a difficult time. We miss her every day. Sorry for your loss.

P-Nutz and tintag27 like this.
  13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm... I'm curious. To whom or what DO you give daily thanks? o_O

P-Nutz likes this.
  14. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I rescue/foster/adopt seniors so I rarely have them more than a year or two. One year, fifteen years, it doesn't hurt any less of more. I've had to put a lot of seniors to sleep over the last 15 years.

They all pretty much had miserable lives before they got to me, but I make sure their final time is the best I can make it.

15. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Badger.jpg

When it comes to a contest between a badger and a car, there is no question who is going to come off worst. Badgers have bad eyesight and usually turn to face a threat rather than run away, so this one probably died instantly from a broken neck. It looked like some sympathetic passer-by laid this one on the low verge - almost as if it was just taking a nap...

The worst was probably the pretty little black and white cat I spotted in the gutter as I turned out of our workplace one evening... I managed to pick up the poor thing and lay it on the passsenger seat but by the time I got to the vets it had crawled down into the stairwell. Throughout the journey it must have been in terrible pain, but it never uttered a sound, so I knew it wasn't going to make it.
    But it was still heart-breaking...

P-Nutz and nojazzhere like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's sad. I just hate that type of thing...

P-Nutz likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's painful for me to read this kind of post, because I've had the worst luck in running over animals you can imagine. Never intentionally, it just worked out that way. I was traveling through a small town one day, and a woman ran across the road in front of me, I was already on the brakes to keep from hitting her, but then, predictably her little dog ran across the road after her, and I couldn't do anything about it, I hit her dog and killed it. I talked to her for a bit, and told her I would take the dog and burry it which I did.

Another time I was driving home one night, and a dog came out from between two parked cars and ended up under the wheels of my truck. I stopped immediately, and tried to find the owner, the dog somehow had jumped up and ran off. finally, I knocked on the door of a house and a lady came to the door, and shouted what do you want? My dog just came in and died right in the middle of the floor. I explained to her why I was there, she was really mad at me, I just turned and left, I knew she was upset, but when she had time to think it over, I'm sure she was glad to know what had happened to her dog.

The worst though was when I was hauling iron, I ran over seven (7) male German Sheppard dogs, who were in hot pursuit of a female no doubt in heat. A sheriff was right behind me, and when I stopped he told me he knew there was nothing I could have done to have avoided running over them. He knew the owner of the kennel they were from. Saw the pic of the badger, been there done that. Even a cow jumped in front of me one night, luckily I caught the cow's head, and not the body, (at least for me) with the brush buster on the front of my truck. Curtains for the cow though. Those are just a few that come to mind.

P-Nutz likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

sorry for your loss! that is rough... stitch is a great name, he had to be a great dog.

P-Nutz and Tonetele like this.
  19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

He was. We could go walking near a famous creek , surveyed at the start of our city, I'd let him run free.
    He just sniffed other dog's a.es and then when I gave him my signature whistle he knew it was time to go go home. He just loved me as much as I loved him. Thanks for your kind words getbent

getbent likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

All of these stories just break my heart, P-Nutz.....and I commend you for going out and trying to help the little guy. I do NOT want to pass ANY judgement or draw conclusions.....but why not "go there" on loose animals? If it could have been avoided (and it can't always) it should be.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.