1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just venting... Too much noise!

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by fenderdfs, Apr 19, 2013.

1. stankepanck

stankepanck Tele-Holic

Ive dealt with loud drummers. That makes it hard to have any dynamics. Worse than that to me is the guitatist who "can't hear myself" (but is the only one anyone in the country can hear) and keeps turning up. I've heard a million times. Hey that other guitar is WAAAY too loud.

2. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This pretty well sums it up for me too. I just went through a similar experience with a cover band I thought I might be able to work with, but the distortion and lack of dynamics was over the top, I can't keep my mouth shut so they fired me before we played a first gig and that's just fine with me. If the sound lacks dynamics it will wear out the audience quick, and you!

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Where the drummer's concerned it might be "Autistic Differences".

4. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

2 guitars can be great but if things were going good why get another guitarist. Maybe think about going back to just one guitar your drummer may already be thinking about that. Good luck an if it ain't fun make it fun life is too short.

5. fenderdfs

fenderdfs Tele-Meister

Had another practice and things improved. I simply turned the gain down on my two pedals and let that be that. I spoke with the other guitarist about it and he seemed to open to bringing it back a bit, but I don't think he did much. Either way I played semi clean to clean for most songs and just put a bit of break up where needed and it was an improvement.

I was also trying out a new amp for the first time, which changed the sound a bit too. THe lead singer told me afterwards that this practice sounded much better than the last.. I agree.

6. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

This will improve your band faster than anything. A recorded rehearsal is worth 5 unrecorded. It is usually pretty hard to hear everything that is going on as an audience would hear it from where a particular band member is.

7. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

I think you are on to something most musicians don't like to talk about. Too much volume be it from a drum kit,bass amp or guitar amp and or overdrive/ distortion can fatigue ears and diminish the abilities to hear pitch. Learning to lower your volume and play slightly cleaner allows notes to be clear.

Compared to a clean sounding amp even a bit of overdrive is monumental. Think AC/DC dirt tones. Even Metallica and Pantera had a "cleaner" rounded distortion tone than the mud shoveled tones of today. At some point there is too much distortion.

A lot of today's country tones are really just 80's rock tones. Thanks to guys like Dan Huff and other former rock session guys being Nashville producers now. So that little bit of dirt on songs is needed.

And speaking of drummers. Drummers that overplay and don't allow the song to breath. If the drummer is just showing off his chops adding fills and such. The best drummers never overplay. Just sit in the pocket.
    I could give drummers several techniques to help live playing from allowing the mics to do the job, gaffers tape butterflied under cymbals to kill over ring,drum shields to keep cymbals from rings out in the singers ears and front vocal mics. Too many things I've learned through the years.
    What you see by the pros on TV, DVD or in concert works because it does.it been tried and tested. I recently had a friend add a Plexiglas shield to his kit because of the above issues. He is now the one every other drummer in the area is now copying. Three other drummers are now using drum shields.

8. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I find this an issue with too many bar bands - guitarists use way too much fuzzy distortion. The classic rock songs they are playing weren't as distorted as a lot of people seem to think they were.

9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

This is new ... a guitarist saying he's too loud on a guitar forum!

10. electric

electric Tele-Holic

Let him know and get ready to quit.

11. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

^^^^^^This.

12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dynamics/volume is the biggest problem with most bands I see or even jam with.

Also the toughest thing to fix - along with poor rhythm & no feel.

Some get it but many don't...and it's the difference between the amateurs and the pros.

13. BourbonSamurai

BourbonSamurai Tele-Holic

I used to aim my 4x12 cabinet at the singer, and our drummer would have an 18" riser, Paiste RUDE cymbals and used huge marching snare drumsticks. That band sounded like hell. Haha. Every once in awhile though, we would cram enough bodies in to a small enough space to soak up all that volume. Those shows were really good, and made our reputation well enough that the band lasted 3 years, when we shouldn't have lasted 3 weeks. We never used too much distortion, we were just way too loud. Our agent used to book us into some weird places, too. I think he did it for revenge, to screw clubs and bars that shorted him.

14. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

We finally had to boot our 2nd guitarist cause he just wouldn't get on board with the band. He just wanted to crank his Marshall and play with a lot of distortion. With 2 guitars you really have to bring it back. Also, make sure to play complimenting parts and not just chug the same thing all the time.

15. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

Last year my guitar mate blew the speaker his mic was pointed at in his 4x12". Just the one though, but I was murdering him in the mix and on the monitors.
    When I play low enough that the mix was equaled, of course, I couldn't hear or be heard at all. It took maybe three practices before we figured out what it was. Weird **** happens, y'all.

16. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

If the drummer thinks you playing needs 'more balls' then he is listening to you and it probably does need more balls.

But you do not necessarily need more OD.
    You need to find a window in the mix so you can cut through it.

You cannot hear yourself, but the front of house mix is what is important. The band needs to work on that one.
    Do not simply turn up more, turn the treble up and the bass down, aim your amp at your head, tilt it back, and point it towards the drummer too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.