1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just Velcro the PSU under your pedalboard and be done wth it...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by GearGeek01, Feb 6, 2021.

1. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

It seems the pedalboard and power supply makers seem to think we need some fancy conglomeration of gobble-dee-gook to mount a power supply underneath our pedal boards.

NOT...

- You don't need a bracket or any fancy metal woopie doo's
    - You don't need a power drill
    - All you need is...

VELCRO !!!!

Depends on what board you have and what power supply. For ever I had a Pedaltrain 2 or 3 and used the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power units.

Just cut a strip of Velcro long-ways in half the length of the PSU and put it on two of the rails... Then cut the opposite type strip of Velcro long-ways in half the length of the PSU and place that stuff on the PSU so it will connect with the 1st two strips.

VOILA... now it is stuck on there so secure you might need a screwdriver to pry it off...

With the Voodoo Lab units, the IEC power plug on the front matches the rails on the Pedaltrain board and you're done.

---------------------------

The Strymon Zuma needs a touch more Igloo Engineering...

The Zuma fits between the rails of the Pedaltrain board the same as a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power but the IEC connector does not match up to the rails... what is a poor boy to do??????

I went out in the shop and found a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood. I cut a rectangle 3-5/8" x 6-5/8" and knocked off any wood burrs with a touch of sandpaper.

Then I made a Velcro sandwich out of the Zuma, the plywood piece and the underside of my Pedaltrain. Now the IEC connector matches perfectly and I'll need another screwdriver or something to pry the Zuma off the Velcro stuff if I want to take it off. Its stuck on there and I swear to the mosquitoes it is NOT coming off in transport.

I've been doing this for at least 15 or more years ever since I started using Pedaltrain boards. Long before the bean counters figured out they could bilk folks for another $20 bucks or so and print a fancy schmancy set of instructions on how to drill holes in your brand new board and buy a doo-muh-jiggy to mount a power supply on the underside of your pedalboard.

They even have YouTubes these days of all kinds of folks showing you how to do it.

What a waste of time, energy, money and electricity to run the power drill, haha. I wonder how many people have f-ed up their brand new boards thinking that was the only way to mount the power supply... LOL (Plus, the Pedaltrain boards come with plenty extra Velcro to get the job done. If you don't like the brand they send with the board, then go down to Wally World (Walmart) and get you some of the Industrial strength stuff or if you must, some 3M Dual Lock)

Pedalboard 3-14-20 - 02 back.JPG

I also have a GFI Cabzeus under my Pedaltrain Classic 2... Velcroed on and not going anywhere... I just upgraded my pedals with several new Source Audio One Series effects, and the Neuro Hub device that works MIDI with them will be mounted under here (in this picture in the upper left hand corner) to save space on top.

Folks seem yo "get it" that Industrial Strength Velcro (or that 3M Dul Lock) is a good enough product to keep our pedals in place on the top side... even when we chuck them in and out of the hard case or soft case. But where folks got this idea pf reinventing the wheel and needing to make a contraption to hold the power supply as if its going to PRY ITSELF off of the Velcro underneath...

Just Velcro the PSU under your pedalboard and be done with it...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

If its not over-engineered, its not good enough. $5 in material, but I did have to use a drill....and some vice grips to bend.

EFF2E407-9C09-420A-9FBA-4F75D5B7C3F8_1_201_a.jpeg

3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Universal wall wart from Radio Shack electrical taped to a daisy chain; anything else runs off a battery. Boop, done.

Doctorx33 and gimmeatele like this.
  4. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Or zip tie

5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Dual lock, stronger hold than standard Velcro.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

The PSU is strapped under my pedalboard with a couple of big elastic bands. Works for me!

gimmeatele likes this.
  7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Yes, right, however my Pedal Train came with such a metal bracket to attach the voodoo (or it’s the other way round I can’t remember), works fine, aligns with the holes and doesn’t need a pry bar to remove, only a screwdriver.
    Just saying...
    But I wouldn’t mind using Velcro. ;)

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I used Dual lock on everything I put on the underside of my pedalboard. Works great.

i guess the only worry i have is that the Cioks gets a bit warm, and Im thinking it might warm up the glue and it will come off. Never happened yet. Ive thought about drilling the holes because Cioks comes with a drill template so you can mount it using screws, but The dual lock works atm so theres no need for me to do it.

This is mine, and I did the wiring too. Very therapeutic.

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Yep, cable (zip) ties, not fully tightened so I can slip the PSU out if necessary

stormsedge likes this.
  10. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

^^zip ties^^

gimmeatele likes this.
  11. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a wooden board, 3/4" ply top. I use the "L" shaped hooks with wood screw threads on one end to mount my PSU to the bottom. It's overkill, as velcro would work fine. To remove power supply, simply turn the hardware a quarter turn to the left. Yeah, it rattles a bit when you shake the board, but I have never played a song that requires me to pick up my pedalboard and shake it, either. I will admit there are plenty of songs where I have wanted to pick up & shake the drummer...

RetroTeleRod and dreamingtele like this.
  12. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Velcro works well for holding the power supply. I personally use zip ties for a tighter hold.

Attached Files:

gridlock likes this.
  13. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Using Velcro to install a BBE Supa Charger under a Pedaltrain Jr in such a way that all the jacks are clear takes more cleverness than I usually have. I spent the money on the brackets and installed them, and they work fine. I do wish they’d been included with the board though.

14. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I have been mounting power supplies under my boards, with Velcro, for 10 years now.

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I've been powering a dozen pedals daisy-chained off a basic OneSpot for 4-5 years now. No noise, no problems. What's the big deal?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I like flat boards, my PS is on top with the pedals.

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Never had any issues with Velcro for power or pedals on top. I use the 3" heavy duty but it's probably overkill.

18. Killing Floor

But some "mission critical" accessories need to be bolted on more securely!

Attached Files:

19. Killing Floor

20. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I built this pedal board out of plywood ten years ago to fit in the tweed case, which I found at a garage sale. The bottom's flat, but there's a riser/second row on the far side that I sized height-wise so a Voodoo Labs power supply would fit snug underneath it. It was a fun project and got a lot of use until a switched to a smaller single row aluminum board where I have the power supply velcroed to the bottom.

I have another tweed suitcase about the same size (about 15 inches across) sitting in my garage for a future similar project. Someday...

pedal board and tweed case.jpg pedal board.jpg

LowCaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.