1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just turned the heat on...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Treehouse, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Should I put my electrics away? Semi-hollows? Solid bodies? What are your experiences, positive and negative?

Already learned the acoustic hard way with a Martin needing a neck reset. I got lucky they honored the lifetime warranty.

Between that experience and having chilrins in the house, I was left gun-shy about my guitars being anywhere but in a case when not in use.

But then they end up under the bed and enjoyed less. And this year I’ve slowly eased back into string swings and now a floor stand. While I like to take care of my things, life is short and they’re just toys.

Turned the heat on today and I feel like my Sheraton is already acting up with neck/tuning-wise. It doesn’t help that all of my normal guitar stash spots are right near a register!

JL_LI likes this.
  2. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

I don't notice guitar changes until the humidity levels are below 40%, indoors, for a few days. Just my two cents.

Treehouse likes this.
  3. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I never do anything different, heat on when it’s cold (tested ours yesterday to make sure it works before we need it), AC when it’s hot, none of my guitars seem to mind nor need any adjusting....maybe between my state’s climate and our climate control, all seems stable. I’ve never had to do a thing to my Epi AJ18 acoustic, it just plays. Electrics have never been a problem....or maybe my hearing’s worse than I know ;)

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

^^^same-same^^^

nojazzhere and Treehouse like this.
  5. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Get an hygrometer and monitor the humidity.
    [​IMG]

Here’s a pretty good write up:
    https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/Weatherproofing-Your-Guitar

stormsedge, Treehouse and tah1962 like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Year round, I keep one electric out at a time. The others are in cases in the basement. None of my guitars are ever near the baseboards or AC ducts. I keep my amp away from baseboards too. Speaker cones don’t like to be dried out either. My one good acoustic stays upstairs in its case when not being played. My setup is good on everything with none of them needing more than an occasional minor truss rod adjustment. It gets humid where I live but excessive dryness is rare. I’m careful with my guitars but not obsessive about it.

Marc Morfei and Treehouse like this.
  7. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I don't own any really nice acoustics so I just leave all my electrics and cheap acoustics out all year round. If I haven't played a guitar in a while it might be a semitone or so out of tune but that's about it. But if I had a really nice acoustic I probably would baby it and make sure it stayed at a constant temperature and humidity year round.

Treehouse likes this.
  8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

From some readins I have done, humidity plays a bigger factor on wooden guitars than heat changes. As stated in the above post. Or maybe it was the Luthier that set my rig up.

Treehouse likes this.
  9. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

If you live somewhere that you need heat NOW...I feel sorry for you.

Jerry_Mountains and Treehouse like this.
  10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

+1 on the hygrometer. I have one in my studio and keep the humidity between 45-50% year round. (Humidifier in the Fall/Winter and De-Humidifier in Spring/Summer).

Treehouse and Bluego1 like this.
  11. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

Thanks for the comments. I’ll keep on keepin’ on and not lose sleep over it!

I do have a thermarpo and additional hydrometers... and it’s plenty moist currently. I guess my main question of concern was the location of the guitars in close proximity to the registers. Interesting to also take the amps and speakers into consideration.

I’m in North Carolina.... no feeling sorry for me necessary. It’s quite glorious here! I was just being polite overnight for our houseguests.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Fretting out likes this.
  12. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just out of curiosity, is this for cosmetic reasons or would you be concerned about structural issues?

I've had my Martin for 25 years. It was with me a few years as a summer camp counselor, living in tents and getting left in the case in the rain and all kinds of nonsense. Went camping with me, left in cars overnight, all that stuff. The finish is crackled really good and it's got some chunks knocked out of it, but still sounds lovely. I assumed people bought really nice acoustics for their ability to take the same beatings they do

rich815, ZenGuitarist and Treehouse like this.
  13. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

100+ year-old house ... just replaced the HVAC today to the tune of 8K ...

I leave ‘em out year ‘round and adjust the trusses when necessary ...

Just my $.02.

Treehouse likes this.
  14. ZenGuitarist

I was thinking about structural issues. The humidity where I live stays relatively constant year round but there are wide variations in temperature and the room where I store most of my guitars and play them needs supplemental heat in the winter. If it's say -30C outdoors it might only be 10C in that room and I normally only turn on the space heaters if I'm actually using the room. It's never caused a problem for any of the other guitars I own but I'd worry if I had something like a valuable Martin. Maybe my fears are unfounded - I don't know.

As an aside, the weather can be wacky where I live and it can literally snow any day of the year. It snowed on Labour Day this year.

thesamhill likes this.
  15. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ah, I see now. Yeah, that's much more intense than our weather. We've got a bit of humidity here but it's never really really cold like that.

Enjoy it! My cousin pointed out that we never get a real winter. We get a lot of cold rainy days and a bit of snow that gets brown and slushy in a day. I still love being out in the cold and snow and then coming in for hot chocolate and reading by the fire. I want real winters!

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  16. ZenGuitarist

Yeah, I hate it when it gets really cold but I love where I live so that's why I've decided to stay where I am. Every place has its pros and cons.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That is, in itself, an oxymoron.
    I learned like Keith Richards- an el cheopo nylon string, an A note ( 440 Hertz ) and bloody well tune it from there. Later I got a guitar where I could tune by harmonics.
    BTW I am not calling you a moron. It's a commonly used expression here Downunder for something that doesn't quite make sense , to be taken light heartedly. ;)

Treehouse likes this.
  18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Dry air is the enemy of your instrument! The best place for your guitar is in the case.
    40+ years of guitar repair tell me this.

Tonetele and Treehouse like this.
  19. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Timely...my calendar popped today for an HVAC checkup. I had them out to check things three years ago. Time flies.

20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am fortunate that none of my guitars give a squat about seasonal changes, regardeless of whether I was in Florida, Iowa, Oregon, or even Iceland.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.