Just tried the Impossible Burger

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maxvintage, Jun 16, 2019.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

OK first off eat what you like, not preaching or condemning. Our family has been experimenting with eating less meat for various reasons. We like the taste of meat, but are looking for alternatives. You don't need to defend your choices in this thread. It's just a review.

We've tried the "beyond burger," which you can get in supermarkets, and it's pretty good but doesn't really taste quite like a hamburger. With a good bun and cheese and ketchup and etc it's pretty good. We like 'em. But we're not convinced. I'd rate it 70--75%

The Impossible Burger is a different deal. We've been trying to find one locally and they are always sold out or not available, but my daughter nailed a place down (for father's day, because I do most of the cooking in our family) that has them and we all ordered one.

Impressive. Texture is right, taste is pretty close. You could fool people if you put it on a bun at a cookout and they were not paying close attention. I'd put it in the 90% range in terms of how close it was to a beef burger.

It'd be interesting to see a comparison of the carbon footprint for an impossible burger and beef. But in terms of taste, it's close. At least that was my opinion, and my wife and daughter agreed. --maybe over time I'd be less convinced.

They are having a hard time meeting demand--supposedly burger kings nationally will start offering impossible whoppers in the fall. I don't know when they'll be in supermarkets

2. Steven72

Steven72 TDPRI Member

I've been a vegetarian for almost 24 years and have tried most of the "faux meat" products. I am really excited to try the Impossible Burger. Thanks for the review.

3. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

Thanks for the review! I get about 2/3 of my protein via plant sources, specifically soy beans (raw in my salad, yum!), kale (with soy beans in salad, yum!), and a variety of nuts & seeds. I'll give your burger a try!

micpoc, Gibson and Torren61 like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

These products make no sense to me.

Things like burgers and sausage, don't really work for me on any level. And had stopped working for me long before the end of 1998, when I stopped eating "red meat" (I eat fish, fowl, cheese, drink milk, eat eggs).

I don't want to have to constantly have to confer with someone, to know what it is I am eating or about to eat. A burger is beef or a blend of beef and other red meats; ground. I don't want or need a burger made of beef or turkey or soy or any of these. If you wanna call something "Portabella on a burger bun" I don't mind that. But if you call something on your menu a "burger", I ain't going to buy it. And if you think I'm joking, remember I refused to buy anything from "Levi's" for over 30 years because of a single TV commercial. Some may think this can be jammed down the throats of Americans but I wouldn't be so sure about that.

RodeoTex, Chunkocaster and Obsessed like this.
  5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t looked much into either the Impossible or the Beyond, but I’ve eaten and enjoyed them both. I haven’t cooked the Impossible for myself yet though. I’m pretty sure I can make it taste even better than the one someone else cooked for me.

I eat beef too and this isn’t ever going to be that, but I like sandwiches.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Manual Slim

Internet, baby! Yeaaaahhhh

teletimetx likes this.
  7. Manual Slim

Nobody is jamming anything. You either buy it or not.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had one at a nice little place in Wimberley.
    It was great.
    Looking forward to my next visit!

nojazzhere and uriah1 like this.
  9. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

The Burger Kings in Columbus, Ga have them. I tried one today, and it could have fooled me. It tasted like a whopper.

I was surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  10. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

The impossible is pretty darn good. I’m a fan.

11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

The issue for soy based stuff for me is it’s all GMO and I’m still not entirely comfortable with that.

So, I eat beef, occasionally and preferably organic and all that.

But I’m still curious about the Impossible and Beyond meat products. My kid is not a big meat guy, so other options are welcomed. I guess I’ll have to have a look at what’s in these things.

Cheers,
    Geoff

dogmeat likes this.
  12. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    you would love the algae burgers

here they are on the grill.
    [​IMG]

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I'm also not a fan of food pretending to be some other food.
    And from many things I've read I don't consider soy to be a food that should be consumed in more than very small quantities.

2 Headed Goat and boris bubbanov like this.
  14. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Won't be long till the profiler and modeling guys find this thread so here you go:

[​IMG]

15. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

They have it as an option at Qdoba now.

I was shocked how “meatlike” it is.

Like it kinda threw me.

I’m still not sure what to think of it.

The flavor and texture were so close I had cognitive dissonance.

I’ll probably keep ordering it.

16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I wish I could agree with you but I just can't. I love meat, I especially love hamburgers.

However, I like to challenge myself and I'm at the age and health status where less meat in my life would just be good. Not to mention, I sort of like the idea of reducing my carbon footprint. Anyways, I have been a vegetarian (or pescatarian really, but only 1x per week for fish) since April 1. I decide each month if I will continue. So I have been steady for 2.5 months so far.

I had the Impossible burger at Fatburger. I'll give you that the texture is there, and when you slather it with ketchup and everything else, I agree it "sort of" gets close, but there's more to just taste and texture with a burger. You need to feel that sated feel, the feel that I think really only comes from beef.

I accepted that the impossible burger wasn't up to what I had expected, so I still gave it good grades and I will be eating it again since it is "on the menu", but in my opinion, it didn't fool me into thinking I was eating a burger. I wanted to believe it, but you just don't get that fat and juice running out of it when you bite in like you do with beef.

I think it felt more like 60% to me. But that's not bad when you consider your basic veggie burger is like 20%. Because a veggie burger is just compressed vegetable mush heated up. I will eat them, but they are not really a burger in any sense. So 60% is a lot better than 20% and I will live with that, but I don't think it is a game changer - meaning, a guy that "must" eat beef, will not be convinced enough to make the switch.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, I am surprised at the fans. I was a strict vegetarian for about 15 years during my weekend warrior ultra athletic events years. I missed the flavors of all red meat, so I do dip in quite often now, but it is typically venison or elk that I hunt now.

I am with @boris bubbanov on this one. No sense in eating a fake burger, when you could BBQ some great natural alternatives like asparagus, eggplant, zucchini, etc. I throw in morel mushrooms picked within a hundred yards of the house for that meaty flavor into sauces, omelettes, pizza toppings. Much healthier and as @maxvintage eluded to (I'm impressed that you mentioned it) definitely a reduced carbon footprint requirement. That said, I do hope these "impossible burgers" catch on for the sake of our planet if their carbon footprint is dramatically less than beef.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Someone, make a moral/morel joke -- I'm too tired.

I'm with BB -- there may be a market for these, but not with most vegetarians. When I was a vegetarian, I was not attracted to meat.

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks. Corrected for the record.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The thing that set me off about soybeans was, all the bottomland hardwood forest that was cleared (they didn't do much with the wood; this was before the scientists figured out how to use hardwoods for paper) to make room for a boom in soybeans that soon went to bust.

If you're having a hard time at this point, knowing whether the Ivory Billed Woodpecker is functionally extinct or entirely extinct right now, blame those bean farmers and the speculators who convinced people how wonderful soybeans were. Lots of other species. Not the most spectacular, photogenic forests ever, but they sure tied up a lot of carbon and a lot of critters had had generations and generations to get comfortable and live in those environs and now that's all disrupted.

RodeoTex and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.