1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just traded for an EP booster. How do you use yours?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Maroonandwhite, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister

Played it a little to demo and really enjoyed it. Seemed to do exactly what it was designed. I’m anxious to get home and mess around with the dip switches but at first though I’m thinking I’d like the “Unity again” setting with no 3db boost. I am however not completely clear on what that is actually doing in the signal.

Is that just eliminating the volume jump while still retaining the boost to the signal?

I’m thinking of running mine before all of my OD’s.

2. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There are many Youtube videos and sites walking through the settings. Those may help. I have had mine on the "Untiy" setting for years, though I may go back and look at adding the +3 db boost, just for grins. It is the closest thing I have to an "always ON" pedal.

Oh, and try it both before and after your OD's. I have it after my Timmy, but ran it in front of my BB Preamp. Go figure.....:)

3. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

My setting is wierd, and I dunno why it works, but it just does, mine 3db bump is left on, and I actually have the knob all the way off. I just sort of have it there to "wake up" my delays and verbs. My OD also sounds very good after it in this manner. It's, still, the best thing I've added to my board. Pretty sure I'm breaking all kinda rules and stuff by doing it this way, but I love it.

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I have a clone at the end of my FX loop.

5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Lot's of folks use it as an always on, especially with single coils. Some use it to hit a gain channel or a dirt pedal harder when they need more oomph...especially a pedal that cuts too much low end. Others use it after dirt or at the end of the chain for a total system bump.

6. Maroonandwhite

From the reading I just did it seems that the dip switch will change where the gain starts when turned all the way down. Either unity or plus 3db. So doesn’t really change the pedal time, just the starting point of the gain.

7. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I don’t know what the dip switches are on at factory, but that’s where mine is and the knob is at 12 o’clock. Run it before a SD-1 into a DSL20. Either channel, sometimes with the SD-1, sometimes just the EP. It does what I want it to do. The EP and the Spark boost are two of my favorite pedals.

jh

Maroonandwhite likes this.
  8. Maroonandwhite

Should be on the 3db boost. At first thought you’d think it’s crazy to want a boost pedal to not boost but this pedal is know for coloring the sound in a great way even without a boost. I guess that’s the reason they changed it to include switches.

I’m anxious to see how it feeds my OD 250.

9. Maroonandwhite

Well I’m really digging this pedal. It adds a fullness to the tone that I really like. I’m running it all the way down at unity as an always on pedal. I honestly wouldn’t mind having another to run after the drives. Right now I’ve settled on the EP Boost—>OD 250—>Gunslinger—>Blues Driver as a lead boost.
    To use the cliche’, it feels like I took the blanket off of my amp. I’d really love to plug it all into a nice tube amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.