1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

just super frustrated with life

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dijos, Apr 15, 2013.

1. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Chin up man. I know it's tough now, but this too shall pass. Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.

2. cobalt6300

cobalt6300 Tele-Meister

Get in a routine everyday that is productive. Wake at a certain early hour each day, eat well, exercise, polish your resume, send out resumes, call employment centers. If you have a degree check out substitute teaching at local school districts, keep your appearance sharp and your home and life organized, clean and uncluttered. Good luck!

3. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Professional hermit - hmmmmm........

4. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I've also had my share of restarts... I'm ten years older than you and right now all I've really got is my belief in myself that I can make this work. I'm living month by month and it's a little scary, but generally I stay pretty happy. I wish I had more time and money to do things like travel, but whenever I've had time and money in the past, I invested it in my business, so maybe I don't want those things as much as I think I do. :idea:

Austin's no panacea. I think it has some nice areas, but there are plenty of not-so-nice areas in Austin too. It's an American city, with all the grinding poverty and wealth disparity that entails... While I am personally biased in favor of Texas in general, I can't see Tampa or St. Petersburg being that terrible. At least you have the ocean. Look carefully before you leap, because once you're here, you likely won't be able to leap back...

This is solid advice... I need to follow it myself!

6. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I have a couple uncles that live in Largo that use to live in St. Pete. They never have spoke very highly of living there. I think they were in a pretty shady neighborhood though.

7. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Lots of good advice posted here. Keep your chin up and keep plugging away. Something will break. Many things happen for a reason- call it karma or whatever, but just know that many people have been down and started over and over again and became successful. You now have life experiences that a younger person would not have. Use it to your advantage as a "value-added" benefit to a prospective employer in the way you manage yourself. Good luck, man!

9. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Thanks to everyone, it's been rough.

10. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

My local community is desperate for certified school teachers. The catch? It's a town of 200 and you'll drive 45 miles for groceries, 70 mi to the nearest Wal-Mart. You'd better like the country life. Everyone wants luxuries and benefits...

11. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

Hey man I hope things pick up soon.

12. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

You mentioned that you have two college degrees. What are they in?

In what field is your work experience?

Jim

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

restarts..I wish, lol..

I've got 2 cars, a ute, two ride ons and a push mower that don't start atm....??

a bad year for my old reliables breaking down.....

just waiting for one to come home from the mechanic, the Subi, which threw a timing belt on the weekend 100 miles from home... grrr.... I could have fixed that here.. I swore there were no electrics and there lay the issue... no spark....I let the local mechanic check it out to be sure...
    never though to check the timing belt... dohh...;)
    I only took it on the drive because my main car had a flat battery and a jump start didn't work off the subi..... grr...

the only thing that works is the brushcutter,, I gave it a bit of a workout yesterday out of machine frustration... grr,,, sorry lawn..ha ha ..:)...

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Last summer I was on my way home... feeling depressed about life in general. It was a hot day 114 to 116 and I pulled up to a stop light and I noticed a guy on the corner in a non powered wheelchair with no legs waiting for the "walk" light to come on so he could wheel himself across the street in the crosswalk.

I thought... and here I am feelin' sorry for myself.

15. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The only thing that will drive you crazy is repeatedly doing the same thing expecting a different outcome.

16. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Keep looking, hang in, stay strong, jobs are out there. Maybe look into a different field than you are degreed in. I was out of work for 6 months and couldn't find anything in my familiar fields of expertise. I started looking into other fields and found thousands of job openings nationwide in the energy field. Namely pipeline work in my case. They are begging for people to do everything from shoveling dirt, seeding grass, equipment operators and truck drivers which are in my line, and especially all types of engineers, welders, pipe-fitters, and everything else.
    Allot of that work is in Texas. Don't know if that helps you but I'm just saying if you look around there are jobs to be had, and ones I'm sure your capable of, somewhere in some field.
    If your interested in pipeline or well work, the best way to get a job is not by applying online or something, it's to show up on job sites and enquire in person. You will find a job that way.
    Just telling you what I've found from experience. Hope it at least encourages you that jobs do exist and if you keep looking you will find one. Somebody somewhere needs YOU!
    I'm praying for you man.

17. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Bs in management, mba. I worked for a large mutual fund company, mostly in retirement plans.

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Im sorry for your troubles, hang in there. I know a lot of people think Austin is the land of milk and honey but the reality is that it is getting increasingly difficult to find jobs outside of the service industry. I was speaking to a woman yesterday who moved here from CA, a very common story here, and had to look and wait for 18 months to land a job in retail. Not trying to scare you off or discourage you but sometimes people have an unrealistic expectation of Austin.

19. vic108

vic108 Tele-Afflicted

dijos,

I got laid off after 17 years at my job as an Operations Manager at a local beer/wine distributor (at the age of 56) . After putting out 160+ resumes and being unemployed for 17 months, I found a very crappy night shift job at that national retail chain that I avoided shopping at my entire life. No one else was hiring... I was one house payment away from losing my house, got dumped by my GF at the time, I ate very little, and I had some health issues that came up that haven't been addressed yet. I now make 45% of what I used to and things are still tough... I still look for work everyday and follow up on every lead I can.

Hang in there, be strong, ask for help from family and friends - if possible, but PLEASE, never give up hope!

20. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I collected my 99 weeks I never really got frustrated ( I just always have positive attitude) I was more amazed at how the job market could be so bad across the board. I had just turned 60 so I just retired and pulled an early retirement. I will have to omit we have other income that pays most the bills. I think in todays market you have to go where the work is some cities are just booming (SF bay area but cost of living) I have a lot of friends that were in the building trades that have run out of unemployment just doing whatever they can to get buy. I would say just try and stay positive maybe broaden your job search, perhaps a deferent job in todays market keep all your option open and those degrees you have are still as good as gold regardless of what anybody thinks. Good luck something will happen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.