Just Started Vaping...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

I quit about three years back. I'd been smoking two packs of Marlboro reds a day for about twenty years. Well, I was getting problems with my knees (fine when I was up and about, but hurt like hell when I stood up after sitting still for a couple of hours), and figured I was getting to that age where it was getting a bit long term - didn't we all reckon we'd be able to quit after a couple of years? Well, twenty years later...

Anyway, years back I'd read the Allen Carr book (for UK readers, not the camp comedian, the other Allen Carr), and it stopped me even wanting a smoke for about a week. Then I was in a room full of smokers and suddenly couldn't understand what the attraction was (which was rather odd seeing as a few days earlier I'd been the heaviest smoker out of all of us). I ended up having a puff on a ciggy, hating it, but having another puff until I'd finished the damned cigarette and wanted another. Great move, huh? But I always remembered how that book had turned me, not into an ex-smoker (the one thing no smoker ever wants to turn into), but effectively it had turned me into someone who had never smoked. I didn't care if people smoked around me, I didn't crave it, I didn't resent it. It had simply, albeit briefly, not been on my radar. I always swore that, one day, I would read that book again, and not make the same mistake of following it up a week later with a crafty smoke.

Fast forward ten years... I found that old book and read it again. I'll admit that, for a day or two, I was in a foul mood. I really didn't want a ciggy, but part of me was craving one. It was a battle between me and the addiction I'd been feeding for decades. I knew that, with every minute, I was closer to being off the fags, and that if I did "treat" myself to another smoke, I'd have to go through that all over again. Mrs Grabsplatter kept her head down, and excused my temper (thankfully).

Anyway, after about three days, I was there. I didn't miss it, I didn't want it, and better still, I didn't think of it. Ever since then, I have effectively been a person who never smoked. There is no residual craving, or desire. When I see old photos of me with a cigarette, it takes me a minute to work out how this can be. Remembering me smoking is like remembering me with three hands - something I find hard, as I never had three hands.

So, personally, I'd recommend trying that. There must be places to download a free version, and it doesn't nag. At no point does it say "this is it, your last one", or anything else similarly scary. Hell, if it works, you've stopped. If it doesn't, you've lost nothing. It is cheaper than a lifetime's supply of patches, or vape refills though.

BTW, whatever the problem was with my knees, it stopped happening when I stopped smoking.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There is no way in hell that vaping isn't safer and healthier than smoking...by a large margin. For those who are as addicted to nicotine as junkies are to heroin it's a brilliant alternative.

Those who say "but it's still dangerous!" and "why don't you just quit?" really need to get their nose back in their own faults and flaws.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Bought an e cig couple months ago. Still haven't tried it.

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

way to go Cat and everyone else who are trying to quit

my story as i may have told it before...i stopped smoking on 7/8/03...took me two years but i realize now that those two years i dragged my feet and couldve done it in a year...one person i worked with enlightened me somewhat

i said one time we were on a smoke break...ill miss coming out here and hanging out while we smoke...he said...after ive talk about wanting to quit...you arent ready to quit yet

i thought...hmmm yeah he was right...i found...when i ready to do something i do it...i was ready to quit smoking...i was ready to lost weight...down 4 pounds since last august

i hated everything about smoking...the smell...the taste...the way it made my house smell...the way my clothes smelled...having to go out to smoke at work and friends homes...and the cost...which is even higher now

so after smoking half cigs for too long...i thought...i wasting so much money now...ugh...so the last couple of weeks of my habit...i was lighting the smoke and was just letting it burn in the ash tray...then on 7/8/03 the last of the cigs were gone...i didnt feel like going to the store just for a pack of smokes so i can let them burn in the ashtray...so i wondered how long can i go without smokes...well its been till right now...i have never had one since that day...i had a few cravings early one...but im beyond that now...i can be in a room full of smokers and now even think about having one

so good luck to everyone trying to kick the habit!

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

If you have an hour to spare, watch this imho well researched, intelligent piece of medical journalism by BBC's Dr.Mosley
    Horizon: E-Cigarettes - Miracle or Menace? BBC2 22/05/16

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

There's other stuff to vape in in Colorado, y'know. :cool:

Seriously, good luck with it. My former bandmate quit gigs vaping and she vaped less then she smoked and brought it way down. I haven't talked to her in a while, but I'm pretty sure she's still doing it.

mabley123 likes this.
  7. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I moved into making my own juice for the increased savings. For $100 I can make roughly 2 gallons. Compare that to $15 for an 18ml bottle.

Luckily my flavor choice is simple enough that it requires very little effort. I can whip up a 200ml bottle in about 3 minutes.

I have reduced the nicotine levels over time. I started making my own when I'd gotten down to 18mg nicotine. Now I'm vaping 5mg. :)

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I thot the revamped Newsweek mag was just online now, but yesterday saw a newstand issues w the cover feature on vaping.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't get vaping except for those trying to quit...good luck everyone.

I've been a smoker since age 11, and had several episodes of quitting and relapsing. I finally managed to get on board though for 5 years. Every time, it was always cold-turkey, and so far so good...

blowtorch likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not a knock on anyone in this thread but I laughed when my daughter complained about taking the bus to school because of "all the swaggies vaping at the back of the bus". How times change.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ha my daughter despises the vape use by her peers too.

vape goals:

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I need to make a Movie with a Cautionary Tale for it's plot.
    It will give vivid details about not only the obvious but, the hidden Dangers of Vaping.
    VAPOR MADNESS!!

13. Cheecharron

Cheecharron TDPRI Member

Don't laugh--vaping is the tobacco companies' way of hooking kids on their products all over again. As a smoking researcher, I recognize that vaping represents a potentially powerful tool for getting people off cigarettes. Too bad they're not regulated at all.

14. SailorGuy

SailorGuy Former Member

I started vaping to get off of cigarettes as well. Figure lesser of evils. I absolutely HATE vaping, but it's working. I see all these high school kids wanting to vape just because it's "cool" to blow big clouds of smoke. I've been free of cigarettes for almost three months. Smoked one about two weeks after I started vaping, the taste was gross. It's much less expensive and add in that I despise everything about vaping, I'm eager to throw this dumb vape pen in the trash and look forward to never stepping foot into one of those vape stores full of 17yr olds blowing vape smoke. But it works for me. I'd tell anyone that still smokes and wants to quit, try it. I spend 1/10 of my cigarette money on vaping. Means more cash to blow on fun stuff!!

...Unfortunately, it took me almost 20 years to understand the "old folks" telling me to never start smoking.

BorderRadio likes this.
  15. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I don't see vaping as help the tobacco companies at all. If anything, it's their Nemesis. They're trying to put their own products on the market to compete, but they suck...bad.

I smoked for 20yrs. I vape to avoid smoking. I can't actually smoke a cigarette now without getting sick due to all the toxins and chemicals. Compare that to the grand total of 4 chemicals I get out of an e-cigarette.

But yeah, vaping "culture" flat out sucks too. I actually started a page on Facebook called "Vapers against Vapers" in tribute to all the folks that use it as an anti-smoking aid while simultaneously despising the "cloud chaser" crowd.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.