Just Started Vaping...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Incidentally, I just hit my one-year mark without a cigarette! It was, hands down, one of the best things I've done for myself and my doctor has been pretty pleased with the results too.

I got into making my own eliquids a few months ago, which has been enjoyable (well, most of the time. It's easy to overdo the flavorings and come up with something absolutely awful!) I didn't get way into the hobby aspect the way some people do, but mixing my own liquids is enjoyable and does account for a considerable savings after the initial investment in supplies.

2. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I credit this thread to my beginning of vaping. I'm so glad to get rid of cigarettes. Glad to see this thread alive.

I have ciggs' within grasp but the taste/flavor has me pretty disgusted.

Seven months in, I've tried a cigarette or two, but quickly throw them down.

I don't miss the smell in my clothes or the hack you get every morning. Its been working well for me, and at a much reduced cost for the addiction.

3. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Same here. One of the best benefits for me was being able to get a cold or 48 hr viral infection without it turning into bronchitis with antibiotics etc etc.

4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have two friends who quit smoking through vaping. However one of them has stuck with the vaping thing for close to a year, the other only did it a few months and was done with everything. I think it's definitely better to be off the smoke from the real thing, but I really wish my one friend could end the vape thing as well. I assume it's safER, but don't know that it's necessarily that good for you.

He uses one of those big contraptions, not the small cigarettes. Looks ridiculous to be carrying that around in a bar to me. But he's a bit of an eccentric :)

5. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

It kinda seems like the dry vapes used for "jazz tobacco" would actually be healthier for tobacco vaping than these little pens that use chemicals to convert to liquid. You would basically just take raw tobacco leaves and vape those directly, though I've never heard of anyone actually doing this (and I don't smoke.. tobacco.)

6. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

No - tobacco is highly carcinogenic, nicotine (and the liquid it is suspended in) isn't.

I'm sure vaping isn't 100% safe - but it is 1000x safer than tobacco, whichever way you take it.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I quit before this new tech, abused the patch for about six months, carried whole and half patches, a patch with a cigarette in the morning, gradually got away from the habit of sucking on a cigarette, then finally kicked the nicotine addiction with less and less patch.

I can't say which is harder to stop, the activity of smoking or the dose of nicotine, but one thing for sure, not starting again, not even one, is the big deal, whatever method used.

We do the quitting, there is no product that will do it for us.

The whole vape tech sounds kind of addictive in itself with the buying of different flavors and strengths and mixing your own chemical cocktails...

I had no idea that you could mod your vape.

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

It's June again, which marks my 3rd year in vaping.
    never smoked a real cigarette since then. yeay.

Last night I met a pal again. hadn't seen him since last autuum.
    he used to supply the pub with a small pa. I had to help him carrying the stuff because he got real ill and was sent to hospital.
    lung desease from heavy smoking.
    they cut out a big lump :eek:
    I thought that was the last time I'd see him around.

There he was, looking and sounding so much better when all of a sudden he pulls out the tobacco pouch and rolls a cigarette. :eek::rolleyes:

Dude! wth are you doing?:twisted:
    naturely he had stopped when he was in hospital and some time after but, as he told, just can't get away from the cigs.
    I must have lectured him for good half an hour about the benefits of vaping and he finally promised to see our local vaper shop around the corner.

Man, if you can't get away from the cigs then at least switch over to vaping.

9. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

+1, and there are now several reputable, peer-reviewed studies to back up the relative safety of vaping (with several others currently going on.) Obviously we were only meant to breathe air, but vaping is now proven to be quite literally orders of magnitude safer than cigarettes, and the second-hand vapor has been shown to be virtually harmless to bystanders.

Despite being conflated with cigarettes over the years, nicotine itself was never a health hazard, and in normal doses is no more dangerous than caffeine. It's the methods of delivery that massively increased the health risks, with burning tobacco way out in the lead.

I tried everything before vaping, and nothing worked. Even at the highest doses, the patches never felt like they did anything (except give me bizarre vivid dreams!) As it turns out, most NRT's are barely better than quitting cold turkey; a big part of that is because they don't address the psychological and physical aspects of smoking, which is a huge part of the addiction. Researchers found that nicotine, on its own, isn't nearly as addictive as when it's present in cigarettes (it's complicated, but the quick version is that there are a lot of coactive things going on when it's paired with the various chemicals additives in cigarettes.) When mice were given nicotine on its own, addiction was low and withdrawals minor. The entire thing is fascinating, if you're into that sort of "medical research" stuff.

As for building my own mod, that was just a fun little project I put together in one evening. It's a simple, unregulated box with a MOSFET to allow me to use any switch I want and not fry it due to high current. I have a few others that I bought or won in giveaways, but I still like my basic little Hammond project box the most. Aside from the 510 connector, I got all the parts at Mouser for under $20. I do have the parts to build another, but I want that one to be a little nicer so I'm trying to decide on a paint color: I may actual go a bit 50's Fender and do Seafoam Green or Shell Pink, or maybe a candy color. I dunno, it's not high up on the list and I have other projects to take care of first, so I'm taking my time figuring out what color to go with.

10. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I vaped for about 2 or 3 years, after smoking 2 packs a day for over 20 years.

It was a good deal for me at the time, gave me something to do with my hands.

I caught a cold about a month ago and couldn't even puff on my e-cig. Now that I'm better I still haven't puffed for over a month.

So I'm hoping I've quit vaping now too. I still feel the urge a little bit, but more out of habit than anything physical.

Good luck to wherever it takes you. I do believe it's better than smoking.

Cheers,
    Doug

11. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

My friend vapes,he build his own tanks and stuff lol he says he feels better.
    It's the other chemicals in the cigs that make u sick

12. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Since this thread was brought back up I'd like to ask a question to the more experienced users.

My dad smokes (he's 65) and I'd love to get him to slow down or stop and have thought of buying him a vaping starter kit but since I don't smoke I have no clue what any of it entails so could anyone recommend a good kit? Granted he's in his 60's and kind of old fashioned so it would have to be a tasteful looking unit and not some "hipster" device that he'd immediately just scoff and throw away. I really think if he got started he'd find out a lot on his own because he's very inquisitive but it's the getting him started thing.

Not to offend anyone but has anybody experienced that older people are harder to convince on something like this? I mean because, and again no offense, vaping doesn't seem to be the most masculine thing in the world...lol.

I would love to get him to stop and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

13. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You could start with one of the disposable ones, maybe $5-10. Don't buy it at the corner store, try to get a decent one from a smoke shop. See if he likes it. I would suggest a tobacco/menthol flavor at first - something loosely similar to what he's probably smoking. I wouldn't cut him loose on a pineapple-bubble gum- cola flavor yet!

Cheers,
    Doug

14. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Except that it's not certain that nicotine isn't a carcinogen. It is certain that nicotine promotes cancer growth, and a lot of the remaining carcinogenic properties of tobacco aren't activated until combusted.

I'm not talking about vaping crushed up cigarettes, I'm talking about vaping raw tobacco leaf, which actually has cancer fighting abilities. Ie: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2783377/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17501699
    http://elifesciences.org/content/3/e01808
    etc..

But you may be correct that vaping e-cig liquid is currently "safer", at least until more research is conducted. (I expect there won't be much research on vaping raw tobacco leaf though, as there's not much profit potential in it.)

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea..I am looking at that vape thing again....if the hypnosis next month does not work out...Cherry and pineapple smokes just seem odd with coffee in the morning..
    or that beer on the weekend..

16. Alamo

Don't go the very cheap way. it's bound to spoil the good intentions as they usually work poorly.
    nothing is more frustrating than a leaking, bubbling atty without producing much clouds.
    a decent, yet low cost starter kit could be this one, ymmv:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/1...od-mt3-650mah-rechargeable-starter-kit-2-pack

17. Alamo

You don't have to go with a mouth full of flavour. just a hint in a flavour direction will do.
    and ... vaping goes very well with coffee & beer.;)

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Very good advice.

Re. the Flavours, there are plenty of Tobacco oriented ones, no need to go with the sweetshop flavours. A big part of what makes it work imo, is that the tobacco flavours give that gravelly hit at the back of the throat which is a key feelgood with cigarettes.

19. Alamo

I know it is zombie thread but one with longterm research twist to it. hope that's ok.

it's June again which means I'm vapeing since four years. still good.

Ronnie Wood has now changed to vaping after smoking for fifty years. congrats.
    Keith didn't like it. lol
    http://www.monstersandcritics.com/breaking-news-ronnie-wood-quits-smoking/

How's everybody else getting along?

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say if you want to quit smoking, just quit smoking, except that obviously for whatever reason it's not that simple for some

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.