Just Started Vaping...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

It's been a year and a half for me (same for my wife). I was smoking almost 2 packs of menthol Swisher Sweets a day.

It definitely helps with the "need to do something with your hands thing"

I also started at 18 mg and have now dropped down to 12. I use regular tobacco flavor while my wife uses menthol. We tried some of the "sweeter" flavors, but didn't like them.

They definitely helped me quit smoking - but the biggest thing (as always when trying to quit) - is that you have to want to do it. Just switching without really wanting to quit isn't the same.

I know it's not perfect, but I feel a heck of a lot healthier (and smell better too!)

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Doug

FWIW, I use the kits and liquid from The Magic Mist. I would also suggest that you not invest a bunch of money in expensive kits at first. They are all different. Try a few and find what you like before investing. I had to try about 5 different brands before I found one I liked.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

tks...I do not know about much of this...

3. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

Smoking real cigarettes always made me feel kind of sick as well as tired throughout the day. When I started vaping, all that went away. I got a free cheap starter kit that a friend showed me that were similar to cheap, disposable kind. They were awful. I got a KGO kit, use kanger T3S clearomizers, and buy e-liquid. TONS of money saved and I feel healthier. Of course we don't have long term data on the effects of vaping, but my doctor said he went to a conference where both the pros and cons of the health of vaping were debated. He said, based on his conclusion, that vaping is incredibly safer than real cigarettes.

Anyway, I've never found a tobacco flavor that tasted anything like tobacco smoke. I tend to get one sweeter flavor and put it in one of them (cinnamon right now), plus a more harsher flavor. [Mod. edit]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015
  4. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

Here's how I look at the safety of vaping:

The only unnatural ingredient is the "artificial flavor"...well, artifical flavors are everywhere, in almost every packaged food available. Might not be "good for you", but compared to inhaling combusted smoke (the most carcinogenic aspect of smoking) and the hundreds of other toxic chemicals like ammonia and such that are added to cigarettes, I have to believe vaping is inherently safer.

For those smokers who think "I like the taste of real cigs better", I urge them to try vaping exclusively for a week, and then attempt to smoke a real cig. It's a revelation, cigs taste nothing like real tobacco, and their "flavor" is nothing but a disgusting chemical taste. Yet once you're hooked, it's the most delicious, satisfying thing in the world...crazy!

5. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't think dipping is a safe alternate to smoking. Take it from someone who had to endure 42 radiation treatments and 7 rounds of chemotherapy to get rid of head and neck cancer after thinking dipping was OK.

6. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

This is the common wisdom, the jury is still out. But I agree, it is probably safer than cigs.

7. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

I can't see how vaping is any worse than nicotine gum; both have artificial flavors (and colors in the gum) and obviously, nicotine. Of course, you can vape without nicotine, also.

Of course I'm no doctor/scientist, and it's true only time will tell. But the forces at play which caution against using e-cigs as a smoking cessation device have nothing to do with health safety, and everything to do with money and lobbying power. E-cigs will soon be considered a perfectly ok "alternative" to real cigs in another year or so, as Big Tobacco establishes itself in the game. Those forces are already at play (starting with Blu), as RJ Reynolds and others are currently developing their own lines of e-cigs...

8. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Never said it was a safe alternative.

I said it's cheaper. It is.

I haven't had a cigarette since. I haven't.

Sorry for your troubles.

9. uriah1

If I start it, (e cig or Vaping)..that is...my personal target would be to at least get rid of
    the daily tar stuff...40yrs of sludge already........nicotine later.....

10. Kitty

Kitty Tele-Meister

I've been using ecigs for 5 years now come June after 20 yrs of smoking. It's pretty much a alternative for smoking for me now. Haven't had a real ciggy since starting... (barring one about a month after first swapping)
    I was pestered into trying it by my husband lol
    When I first started there were no mods, only the lookalikes. Battery life was horrid on those things.

Now I use a ego and vivi nova. Tribeca from Halo, usually between 12-18 nic.

11. uriah1

Still dont understand the (automatic) vs (liquid)

Liquid seems like a hassle....

I think I would like plug and play..are their good plug and plays.

It seems like everyone is particular to their own special mfg

12. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck to you Cat. I have some co-workers that had some good success with the E-cigs. If you want to, you can.

On the flip side, the other day, I was on a NYC express bus and the woman in front of me was doing it on the bus. She was in the front row, and the driver said nothing. It was a fruit scented thing that smelled like one of those cheap christmas tree car deodorizers. Gave me a headache and turned my stomach. Blech! She must have been pretty addicted to not be able to take a bus ride without doing that. I personally think they should have the same restrictions as regular cigs. (Public places etc.)

Still, I applaud your effort for trying to stop smoking. Best thing I ever did. I smoked from age 13 to about 33. One day, I was grilling pork chops in the backyard when my little girl (15 now, 3 at that time) asked me, "Daddy, why do you smoke?" I couldn't give her a good answer. I put out the cigarette, and never did it again.

13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I gave up smoking in 1994 .I didnt get any better breathing as I had lung damage .I use patches .Just give it up any way you can but kids are strting on e cigs and moving on to real ciggys and the tobacco industry has cottened on so enjoy em while you can .lung disease is terrible .I just get out of breath walking up stairs but its not getting any worse or better .I just stopped in time. literally by months .Make sure you all do too please .

14. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Kangertech EVOD screwed into 1100 mh batteries is what I'm presently using. Real basic setup. It only takes about 30 seconds to unscrew the bottom and refill, one refill lasts me all day. I have 3 batteries and keep two on the rechargers, usually one battery lasts all day. I also got these usb attachments for the charger for 3 bucks so I can recharge in the car when I'm off the grid.

I'd skip the plug and play ones because they are expensive and with the refill liquid you have a lot more different flavors to choose from. I haven't had anybody tell me they thought the preloaded ready to puff ones held a candle to the refillables.

15. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Originally posted by gypsy jim

I tip my hat to sir, you must be one tough dude. I thought my 35 radiations and 3 chemo's was unbearable, in fact it damn near killed me.

16. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Don't mean to harp on this but I just bought the unbranded version at the local tobacco - now tobacco and vaping store. 900 mAh (upgrade from the 600 that was their "standard") battery lasts at least three days. I have only run out of battery once and that was at three of four days after not giving it a full charge. Otherwise I just charge it every two or three days.

I pretty much smoked hand rolled non filtered cigarettes like a chimney before the switch. So it's not like I'm a lightweight.

You all aren't doing a very good job of selling me on the more expensive fancier models.

17. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

This is actually fairly common propaganda from the tobacco industry. E-cigs are hurting them, not helping them. I don't believe for one second that anyone would willingly start on an e-cig, then switch to cigarettes because it was "better".

Granted, kids are stupid and all, but still... E-cigs are removing Big Tobacco's customer must quicker than they're adding new ones.

BTW, I'm not accusing YOU of trying to spread false info, but rather I believe you probably heard / read / saw it on the news and took it at face value. I do believe some level of regulation and/or laws need to be in place regarding e-cigs (like requiring child-proof caps, for example) but overall e-cigs help people get rid of their dependence on Big Tobacco, not the other way around.

Big Tobacco probably has much more money tied up in lobbying Congress to regulate/tax e-cigs than all of the "concerned citizens" do combined. Taxing alone would raise the price and therefore remove some of the financial benefit of switching.

18. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

I think the vast majority of vapers seem to be aware that certain health issues could still crop up. I certainly didn't go into it blindly. But the patch/gum/lozenge/whatever all have their own potential issues as well, so nothing's perfect. The information is a bit thin, although there have been more studies done over the past couple of years, and so far it does appear to be much safeER. Not totally harmless, but AFAIK nobody every claimed they were.

Right now it seems like the only area of some concern may be the flavorings added, and what might happen when they're vaporized. Most of the eliquid vendors voluntarily stopped using diacetyl when that whole "popcorn lung" thing happened. Diacetyl is a chemical that provides a buttery taste, but it turns out that large vaporized quantities of it (over a long period of time) can potentially cause lung problems. Most of the reputable liquid makers seem to be very proactive when it comes to ceasing the use of "problem" ingredients, and it's refreshing to see an industry that seems to police itself pretty darn well overall. Obviously that means someone still needs to discover that certain flavor chemicals could be health hazards, but that goes for anything we put into our bodies.

I look at it like this: cigarettes have 600 ingredients in them (yes, 600!) They create around 7000 (!) chemicals when burned. Besides the tobacco and paper, I have absolutely no idea what those other 598 ingredients are, or in what quantity. With vaping there are 4 ingredients: nicotine, propylene glycol, flavoring and vegetable glycerin (sometimes there's no PG or VG, and occasionally there's distilled water.) It's long-established (like, decades) medical fact that PG and VG are basically harmless to inhale; they're used in asthma inhalers and PG is what makes our fog machines work. They're also both used extensively in packaged food, because they retain moisture; they keeps our Twinkies from drying out. The rate of PG/VG allergies is shockingly low, almost non-existent (and if you were allergic, you'd already know because you couldn't eat most prepackaged foods.)

We're also well aware of the dangers of nicotine, and it's incredibly toxic in relatively low doses. However, the LD50 relatively high, between 600-1000mg's for an adult. A non-filtered cigarette delivers a total of about 3mg's. You'd basically have to chug a big glass of pure nicotine extract to reach fatal levels. The other thing to note is that, while addictive, nicotine itself was never really the problem with cigarettes...it was those thousands of other chemicals. Somewhat ironically, nicotine itself is not a recognized carcinogen.

So that leaves us with those eliquid flavorings. As I said before, some of them might very well turn out to be a problem. But based on the available data, I'm still pretty confident that it's nothing nearly as harmful as tobacco smoke; based purely on numbers, it just can't be. There are some people that have been vaping for several years now, and are beginning to be studied in the medical community; so far, there are no reports of increased lung problems. On the other hand, once someone's been smoking for just a few months or a year, there are definite and obvious changes in lung function and overall health.

Of course there are still a lot of unknowns and questions up in the air (no pun intended...well, kinda ;).) But I will absolutely take my chances with vaping to get off cigarettes. It certainly couldn't be any worse for me, and so far most of the data shows that it's safer by a huge margin. I don't want young people to start smoking or vaping, and I have to admit that I do have some conflicting feelings about how it's sometimes presented. But for us heavy, longtime smokers, I think it could very well be the answer many of us have been waiting for. I think the rewards outweigh the risks by a massive margin.

Yeah, regardless of how harmless the vapor is, I still think it's massively rude to vape in close quarters like that. I don't understand the mindset of people who do that, and I don't think they're impressing anyone but themselves. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. Then again, it was in NYC, so that was probably one of the least gross things that happened on that bus that day :lol:.

I appreciate the vote of confidence (from everyone!). I've tried every other way to quit, many times. I have an addictive personality and this was the one thing I just couldn't seem to overcome. My daughter is 12 and getting to a really impressionable age, so myself and my ex are both trying to make it stick this time. Plus, I'd kinda really like to be around when she grows up! ;)

I know a lot of the generic batteries are fine. I decided to go with a name brand mostly to lower the risk of getting a faulty one. Since I was buying online, I wanted to minimize my risk of having to deal with a return/exchange. I love the "bigger" batteries, even though they were a lot smaller than I thought they'd be. I'm getting about 10 hours off an 1100mAh, but that's with pretty heavy use and variable voltage. For my EVODs, I'm running around 4.4v so that drains the battery a bit faster but I get better flavor and it's a little warmer. The EVOD 2 has a 1.5ohm dual coil, so I run that around 3.4v so the coil will last longer before I need to change the head. I think non-adjustable eGo batteries run at 3.7v, so the adjustable can run down a little faster depending on the voltage it's set at. I love the variable voltage though, so I think the slight decrease in runtime is worth it.

I also smoked home-made cigarettes too, but I used the injector thing and bought pre-filtered tubes. Saved me quite a bit of money, but I still smoked as much as I ever did. I used those for a few years and I'm constantly finding loose tobacco in random places. I'm sure that'll go on for at least a couple more months!

I wouldn't mind one of the bigger mods, just to have better battery life (and a replaceable battery). But I'm not interested in the mechanical stuff or getting into it as a hobby. Things like the eVic are nice and I wouldn't be opposed to one for practical reasons, but the mechanical mod thing is just too fiddly for me. Plus there are some definite electrical safety concerns with those if you don't know what you're doing, so I'm not really interested. I'd rather just charge up a battery, screw on a tank and go. I'm also not interested in carrying around something the size of a big MagLite, but I have seen a few beautifully-made ones that are fun to look at.

19. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Quick update: I've only had one cigarette today! Actually, it was only a little over half: I got sick of the taste and tossed it. Yesterday I only had four, but three of those were before I got my vaping stuff delivered.

Here's the best part though: I haven't once felt like going on a rampage and stabbing everyone! Normally at this point most of my friends and family would already be avoiding me, but aside from being slightly "bouncy" I'm not having most of the awful withdrawal effects I've always dealt with before. I'm cautiously very optimistic!

20. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I think some of them look ridiculous. My Provari is large, but not obnoxious to look at.

Some of those things have a definite "head shop vibe". If you don't want people looking at you like you're doing something illegal, don't carry something that looks like a mini Gatling gun. My local shop has some devices that are like 8" tall and a couple inches in diameter, and that's without a tank installed! :eek:

...and they're high-dollar and not even digitally regulated. No thanks...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.