1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just Started Vaping...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

going on 2 weeks for me without cigs. I use the Halo Tribeca fluid and like it a lot. Eventually I'd like to get off the vape too, but I'm amazed that a long term, many year pac a day habit was this easy to replace with the vape. I don't miss the stink or waking up hacking and coughing!

Best of luck to you.

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Everyone I know who Vapes either went back to smoking or still smokes and vapes. I dont know a single person that quit 100% because of it.

3. jamester

jamester Tele-Holic

Right on... Vaping made it easy for me to quit, it was kinda unbelievable. I just honestly like it better, and as someone said, I couldn't smoke now if I wanted to. The last time I bummed a cig at work I almost threw up, hacked up a lung and was thoroughly disgusted.

I'm not digging where the whole "vape culture" thing is going, but it is what it is. Where I work it's unusual if you *don't* smoke, and I've started a whole vaping movement. It's so cool, a number have quit and the rest are smoking half or less what they used to.

It takes some time to find what juices/hardware work for you, but once you do you're good to go. In a lot of ways I'm still a "smoker" as far as they habit goes, but I don't really care. It's pleasurable, much safer, and I'm off the cigs. All win. :)

4. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

If I got an e-cig it would just to smoke inside. I've tried them and I prefer the real thing.

5. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

I would try a lower nicotine level, 12 to 18 is usually where people start, but some start, and many get down to 6mg, it depends on how much she needs to satisfy the craving.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

This is some pretty advanced level trolling. :lol:

7. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

What? Haha I'm just saying I like real tobacco better

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My wife was smoking 2 packs a day. She started vaping 6months ago. She still smokes, but only 3 to 8 cigs a day. She goes thru maybe 60ml of liquid a month. It's gotta be better than smoking due to lack of carcinogens. She doesn't cough as much and the house smells better. Hopefully she'll stop the cigs altogether.
    The EGO CE6 is the one she uses, batteries last about 4 months. Have to replace heads and tubes every 2 months. Use EVCIGS online, they have good prices on the liquid and hardware. Start out with a kit.
    I've definitely saved money with this. Before 5 cartons a month at 35 bucks each= 185.00 now 1 carton a month at 35.00 plus liquid and hardware at 40.00 to 50.00= a 100.00 savings.:p

9. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

You're young, give it 20 years and see how you feel then. Know what's fun about hacking up giant lung boogers in front of people? Nothing. It's not a good look on anyone.

I started when I was 15 and by the time I was your age I was up to a pack a day. It always starts with "I'm fine with just a couple a day", but rarely stays that way. If it does, then more power to you...but don't expect it to. Virtually everyone I know started that way: swiping a couple cigarettes from our parents or whatever, then being able to buy a pack legally and it would last a few days. A year or two later and we're all chain-smoking like it's going out of style (turns out it kinda was :lol:.) Some of us were smart and quit while we were ahead, but others (like *ahem* yours truly) just kept right on trucking. Now trying to quit cold turkey is like torture that lasts for a month; you hate everything and want to punch everyone in the face for absolutely no reason. You can't sleep. You get weird intestinal "issues". Your dog makes you angry because it looked at you funny. I wish I was joking, but it sucks in the dumbest and strangest ways possible, and it's just incredibly unpleasant.

10. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

I don't really know anything about e-cigs other than from TV commercials and so forth, but I sure hope they can help you can kick the tobacco habit. Cat, I don't exaggerate when I suggest that you may look back one day and realize that quitting smoking was the greatest decision, accomplishment, etc. of your life. I really wish you success.

11. Jubal81

Jubal81 Tele-Meister

2-year vaper here. One of the best decisions I ever made. I huff on a cigar maybe once or twice a year, but cigarettes utterly disgust me now. I can't believe I lived in that smell for so many years.

I went through a lot of rebuildables - making coils, big devices - but I've come back around to the simplicity of a variable volt EGO and a carto tank. It's small, light, simple and I've found getting the big clouds just isn't worth the hassle.

Fasttech.com is a great source for cheap components. The shipping takes weeks coming from China, though.

And my favorite juice is the pipe sauce from ePipemods. A 100ml bottle lasts me about 2 months these days. All in all, I'd say vaping costs me about $30 a month vs. $150 for a pack-a-day.

Just in the past 6 months I've seen a serious explosion in popularity around here. I'm seeing them everywhere now.

12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Ms MacKinnon, From a former smoker, I'm rooting for you, and all the others trying to quit the weed. Good luck!

13. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I've been vaping for two years now. Started out as a means of cutting down smoking. Now I can't imagine ever having another cigarette - not just for health reasons but because vaping is much more pleasurable and the idea of a cig now is pretty disgusting in comparison.

Previously I'd tried everything from willpower to gum, patches, inhalers ... you name it, with zero success.

I only wish they'd been invented 20 years ago.

14. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

Well, far be it from me to deny your experience, but I logged 30 years of heavy smoking (that'd be about a pack and a half a day and up, although I started with two or three per day, just like you). I started vaping in February 2013 and haven't craved a cigarette since. For the first month or so, I did find a butt or a vape about equally satisfying. Since then, a cigarette hasn't been remotely appealing. They're so...dry and burnt-tasting. I have smoked (and enjoyed) everything that can be smoked, from Camels to Chesterfields to American Spirits, which was my brand for the last nine years of my smoking career. Well, there were some other things in there as well, to include Phillip Morris Commanders, Pall Malls, Drum tailor-mades and the products of several subtropical growing regions. I don't miss any of them.

Vaping rules. You go, Cat.

15. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Wishing you the best for your vaping adventure Cat. As lots of people have attested, they really do work. I'm a year in now and haven't smoked a cigarette in approx 9 months. Clothes, living space, health all much improved. Good luck with it.

16. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have three friends who have successfully quit smoking cigarettes using e-cigs... two of them are completely off the e-cigs too, the other one is still weaning off those. YMMV.

17. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Have to say that's not my experience at all. Quite the reverse in fact.

Vaping seems to be most successful in helping older, more entrenched smokers in kicking the habit. These are smokers who are sincerely grateful to have found a way out of a habit that had begun to seriously degrade their health.

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think maybe trying a e cig that feels like a cig might help. Tried last year, and
    it felt like toking on a piece of rebar...

I got some smaller ones (zoom) or something like that.. I have not opened yet..
    I keep staring at them...smoking over 40yrs....sort of tough, especially with beer or coffee..

imho

19. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Oh dear!:rolleyes: - if you're talking about these disposable e-cigs.

http://www.csdecisions.com/2013/12/04/vector-group-launching-zoom-e-cigarettes/

that category of e-cigs is a waste of time, money, resources and good will.
    get something decent (many good pointers in this thread already) which you can enjoy over a coffee or beer.
    the advanced vapors do actually work - ^that one doesn't.

20. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

This is true. Nicotine surpresses colitis flare ups. But stopping smoking didn't "cause" the intestinal issues.
    Btw....yesterday I was 3 months quit on cigs. I did the patch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.