Just Started Vaping...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Been using them for eight or nine years, from back in the days when everything was three-piece. Haven't smoked a cigarette since. I still smoke pipes at home, some, but that's not about nicotine. (I'll put down a pipe to take a hit on the e-cig. :rolleyes:) The best part is that I can use one at my desk at work, and in my non-smoking work vehicle. I've even used them on airlines, but I was surreptitious about it. Oh, and I can check into non-smoking motel rooms, and they smell a hell of a lot better!

Good for you! Now begins your adventure to find the kit, and the juice, that best suits you. It will take years, most likely, but it's an enjoyable adventure. Hint: don't buy disposables. Get a bunch of batteries and a power-delivery "mod," and a tank or great big cartomizer, and start buying juice in quantity. I'd be happy to share my experiences and suggestions with you if you like, in PMs so that we don't bore everybody. :lol:

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks VERY much for all the responses everyone. (sorry if this posts twice, it disappeared 1st time around)

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats to the vapoids! I wish they'd have had those things 20 years ago. I finally quit in 07 using Chantix. Only took about a month. I was weaned pretty quick but I loved the dreams I had on Chantix so much I kept popping em' for a couple more weeks.

4. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

I actually just replace the coil and not the whole tank, but this happens very rarely and I typically don't fill it all the way up. When the liquid gets really low, I rinse the tank out with water and shake the excess water out. Thanks for the advice though, I will take that into consideration. Do you usually soak the coil in alcohol to clean it if that happens?

5. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

June 6th will be 4 years without a cigarette. Chantix worked for me no side effects like others have said. Well did have one wierd dream but can't say it was the Chantix.
    Vaping, hmmm..... my interest got peaked the other day more for the bit I saw on the news the other day, featuring Whoopie Goldberg and how she uses it. :cool:

6. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

In my couple weeks of research, I was a bit surprised to discover that about nicotine too. It does have some legitimate therapeutic benefits, as it turns out, but it's the traditional "delivery systems" that cause the most problems. I was aware of the calming effects, but I hadn't been aware that it supressed a few serious health concerns up until a few days ago. Definitely news to me!

Yeah, I went right past the "cigalikes". I'd tried Blu and some other one a couple years ago, and they were awful. I got a couple of Joyetech eGo C-Twist 1100mAh batteries and a couple Kanger EVOD tanks to start off with (plus extra coil heads.) The shop sent me a bonus EVOD 2 tank for free (and a free bottle of RY4), which was very cool of them! (And of course a charger and liquids.)

So far everything's working well. I was a bit surprised at how small the eGo's were, especially because I got the 1100mAh ones. For some reason I thought they were a lot bigger than they are. I made a point to get genuine Joyetech ones even though they cost a bit more than the generic or store-branded ones. So far I like the EVOD tanks, although I'm glad the EVOD 2's have removable drip tips because I'm not a big fan of the metal one. The dual-coils in the EVOD 2 don't seem to make much of a difference, but the regular single-coil EVOD heads fit.

Speaking of the EVOD 2 and major newbie error: I filled up a couple tanks to try out the different flavors I got, and forgot the EVOD 2 is only 1.5ohms...and I had my eGo cranked up to about 4.6 volts! Add in the fact that I was taking a "cigarette drag" and that was...highly unpleasant, to say the least! My first real vape ever, and I get the world's worst, hottest dry hit. It felt like I swallowed a lit cigarette backwards!

But I've got it all dialed in now (ie, I'm actually paying attention to which clearo I have on ;)), and I've gone over half the day without a cigarette. That's a new record for me, so I think this might just work out!

7. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

I just empty out the brown colored liquid and put some new liquid in, after all it's just burnt sugar! I know because I was a cook for about 15 years so I know what caramelized sugar smells and tastes like.

8. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I've been vaping for nearly 2yrs. The first week was weird, after that... I couldn't start smoking again if I wanted to, and honestly don't know how I did it.

When I switched I was a pack & a half a day smoker of Marlboro Reds.

I've been using a large digital device (Provari) since about a month after switching. I typically use a glass tank like a Protank II, though lately I've been using Kayfun rebuildable clone for the better flavor & vapor production.

Even the tobacco flavors taste nothing like burning tobacco. I don't even bother with those flavors. Plus they're dark and gunk up coils & wicks quickly.

I hate menthol cigarettes, but I pretty much only vape Peppermint. Menthol & peppermint are totally different. It's a clear juice that doesn't darken over time, and is the slowest thing I've ever seen in terms of how long it takes to gunk up a coil/wick.

If anyone is having problems with burning of the throat, lower nic and/or more VG and less PG is the way to go. Also make sure you're not running too much voltage or too low a resistance in your coil. I'm at 4.2vdc and between 2-2.2ohms on my coils.

You do have to adjust to it just like cigarettes. You have to tough through the first few days. You can't take 2 puffs and say "I don't like it" then light up another cig. Switching over to vaping takes effort, the same as quitting smoking through any other means. If you give up, it's because you really don't have an interest in quitting cigs. Sorry, but that's the truth.

This is by far the quickest and most reliable way of getting off cigs. (Don't be a douchey vaping hipster and start referring to the real things as "analogs"... Please...).

My wife and I have turned literally over 100 people onto vaping, not because we were advocates/ambassadors for it, but because they approached us with real questions and we told them where to go and what to look for.

I highly recommend it. I started at 26mg nicotine and have stepped down to 18mg. Soon I hope to be at 12mg. 6mg is the last step before 0mg, but mixing 0mg and 6mg 50/50 yields 3mg.

It works! :D

9. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Incorrect... Once it sets into the wick and gunks up the coil it's gone. You can try cleaning it with some 195-proof alcohol, like Golden Grain or pouring hot water through it and letting it dry, then doing short "dry burn" burst to burn off the residue.

It's still not as good as a fresh coil.

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Enjoy them while you can, I do. Be mindful however that the forces of anti-anything-that-someone-might-actually-enjoy-doing are hell-bent on outlawing them.

11. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

PG and VG are easy to get seeing as how they're common food additives.

Flavors are easy too. The place I get my stuff only does natural & organic flavors.

Nicotine is the final ingredient. Not impossible by any means. My friend that got me started bought a full gallon jug of damn-near laboratory-grade pure nicotine. That stuff is dangerous. Like, "spill-it-on-your-skin-and-you're-dead" kinda dangerous. Diluted, it's as dangerous as, well... vape juice.

Point being, they may outlaw pre-mixed stuff, but the paraphernalia would be hard to outlaw, kinda like the stuff they sell at head shops as "tobacco & novelty products". Batteries, kanthal wire (for coils), etc... impossible to outlaw.

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Word. They're already illegal in some cities in public places, which is patently ridiculous. I will not contemplate the causes of such things here, as it would violate our principles, posting-wise. I fully expect a 4473 to have questions about nicotine pretty soon, though. :D

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

-Self edited- would close thread....

14. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

I don't know about outlawing it but they will probably eventually tax it. :(

So, I'm one month in. Smoked for 40 years or so and took to it like a duck takes to water. No cigarettes since and don't want any.

Y'all are just fancy with your vaping paraphernalia as you are with your geetars and such. :lol: I just went to the local place and for about $25 got set up. Perfectly happy with it. I did find another local store that has better juice, nicer flavors but not any more expensive than where I bought my first kit. They even have a card that you get punched with your purchases to save some money.

15. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

I have been puffing the electronics since november 2012 and have not smoked a single cigarette since. Cat you should just toss your smokes and tell yourself the electronic is all you've got. All you want is the nicotine anyway, you are not missing the stench, hacking and the cost. I was just so pleased to not smoke a burning cigarette I didn't have any problem. Yeah the cost factor is a real bonus. A $25.00 bottle of the stuff lasts me a month or so.

16. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

As I was going in to the doctors office this afternoon at the upscale clinic I saw this guy sitting at a table in one of the fancy atrium wating rooms puffing away on some kind of big mod rig with a cloud of smoke going up. I thought to myself geez guy you got a lotta nerve, this is a freekin' hospital.

17. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

We don't have the same kind of E-Cig, mine you cant change the coils on the clearomizer its all one piece. Once you empty out the brown crap and add some fresh liquid it works like the first day.

Attached Files:

18. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Thanks for not getting my thread locked, I appreciate it. ;)

I wasn't interested in spending tons of money (although I did go over by about $25.) I did go with "name brand" options, just for a little peace of mind. A Provari would be nice, but $175 is just more than I'm willing to spend on it. Of course, that could change, but the eGo's seem to be doing just fine for now and the portability is nice. I don't like the box mods, but maybe something in that general size (with removable batteries) will be in the near future. Although if Jonrpick wants to buy me a Zombie Edition Provari, I wouldn't be opposed to that! :lol:

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at rebuildable tanks though: after building my Magnatone clone (mostly anyway, I need to get back on that and finish it up), I think I can handle winding some coils. I might pick up a Kayfun clone soon, just to experiment with.

Funny thing: I just accidentally lit up a cigarette (force of habit), and gagged. It's been years since I remember a cigarette tasting so bad! I'm fascinated by how different my taste is just after one afternoon. Dinner should taste extra-yummy tonight!

19. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

Eh. One or two American spirit regulars a day is good for me.

20. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i quit 16 years ago. hypnosis followed by 1 box of the patch. bang..cured. can't stand the smell of em now. i'm a smoke ****.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.