1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just Started Vaping...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cat MacKinnon, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

...let's see if this works to get me off cigarettes. I've tried everything else: gum and lozenges (made me barf), the patch (gave me weeeeird nightmares. Also: didn't work), cold turkey (worked kinda...a dozen or so times.) About the only thing I never tried was Chantix (long story short, I have some personal issues that wouldn't be a great match with its side effects.)

Anyway, after doing a fair bit of research, I decided I may as well give vaping (e-cigarettes) a shot. I have a few friends and family members that have done really well with them. I skipped over the lookalike ones, based on the recommendation of pretty much everyone, and went with an eGo-and-clearomizer setup.

It's a little weird, but strangely familiar. It does seem to satisfy the hand-to-mouth fixation, which was always something I struggled with when using other types of smoking cessation products. I'm having a hard time tasting the flavors (even though I bought quality liquids), but I'm attributing that to the fact that regular cigarettes basically wreck your tastebuds and need time to rejuvenate. They sure smell good though (of course, pretty much anything's an improvement over the smell of stale cigarette smoke...except maybe a litter box. That reminds me, I need to change the litter box.)

I'm looking forward to not having a perpetually dry/stuffy nose, hair that smells icky and generally just breathing better. Smoking is pretty much my last vice, and I think these things might really work for me. Of course, we'll see in a week or two, but spending $90 on a bunch of vaping stuff is also pretty good motivation! ;)

Downside is that I'm probably going to start smelling my apartment and 5 years of smoking indoors. Gross.

2. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

A great buddy of mine has been 2 years with no cigarettes after starting the vape.

I am still not convinced that he is free of anything harmful, but he certainly has increased his lung capacity for mountain biking, rock climbing and other outdoor sports.

It is interesting to me that you can meter the dosage of nicotine, and he is almost down to just vape juice with a low N mix.

I still make fun of him for his choices of flavors (did you know you can get Appletini and Razzmatazz, as well as Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop Tart and Lemon Meringue?)

Either way, it seems a better alternative than that which would eventually kill my friend.

Good luck and I hope you beat the cigs.
    ~syf

3. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

I started on the E-Cig in January, after close to 40 years of smoking [ my generation started smoking young], and trying all the other methods to no avail. It really works for me. I use the tobacco flavored nicotine laced stuff, and it was just the first week that it felt strange, now I have gotten so used to it that the emergency pack of smokes I had in the freezer was given away, really don't need regular cigarettes anymore. And now I have even started watering it down with nicotine free liquid.

4. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

I wish you luck,hopefully they'll help you quit.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I got some to try keep putting off

6. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

I got off cigs when I started Dipping Copenhagen.

Haven't even thought about smokes in months.

Good luck to you, anything to get off the high price of figs.

7. Cat MacKinnon

Even though most things I've read (including the scant few university studies that have been done) shows that it's much less harmful than cigarettes, I'm under no illusion that it's completely harmless. The community makes a point to call it "harm reduction", because obviously nicotine isn't the safest thing around. But I still think that giving up those couple thousand other chemicals is quite an improvement!

Anyway, I've started off at 18/mg nicotine, which so far seems about right (I was a pack-and-a-half a day smoker.) The thing is that, when suspended in the PG vapor, nicotine doesn't absorb into your lungs like it does with cigarette smoke; it only absorbs through your mucus membranes. So even though 18mg sounds like a lot, only something like 40% is absorbed. There will still be some cigarette withdrawal symptoms, but once I get over those I can start lowering my nic levels. They even make 0% liquid.

I spent a good couple of weeks reading everything I could, and I've seen some interesting flavors! I'm not sure about the overly fruity ones, plus some of those are known to crack plastic tanks. I'll have to hold off trying those for a while. The ones I got are a bit more rich and closer to tobacco flavors; I figured that would probably make it easier to transition from real cigarettes. At this point I'm mostly just concerned with improving my chances of getting off real cigarettes for good.

8. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

The one thing that I noticed was that when he came to my house, he asked if it was okay to vape, as we are a non-smoking family.

I was amazed that after the initial cloud of vapor that he exhaled, which incidentally was a tobacco flavor/scent mixed with rum, not only did it smell pretty good, it disappeared in a matter of minutes.

He even brought a o% liquid for me to try, as I occasional will have a cigar on the deck.

Best of luck to you!
    ~syf

9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For those of you with experience here I'd like your input. My girlfriend is a lifelong smoker and a while back got a pair of the e-cigarette and a couple liquids. The person who sold them to her from a valid shop recommended a certain strength which I have no idea about. She says it burns her throat and stopped. Obviously I'd like her to be reducing the tobacco.

Will a lighter strength liquid reduce the burning sensation?

10. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Good luck. I hope it works for you.

11. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

I've been vaping for about a month and I no longer need reg cigs so far so good, good luck they seem to work pretty good.

12. wildkat-bob

The burning sensation is from the nicotine, she just has to buy some nicotine free juice, tobacco flavored preferably, and make her own recipe, gradually watering it down until she can stand the stinging sensation.

13. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

All the best Cat… I hope it works for you.

14. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

What might be happening is the coil is burned. When this happens it causes lots of hot vapor and even smoke. Does she get a burn taste while using them? Usually this is caused when a coil dies after a couple weeks, or the coil has too low of an impedance for the battery. Also happens if you run dry of the liquid inside and try using it.

Anyway, I've been vaping for almost a year now and rarely smoke cigarettes anymore. It's trading one addiction for another, however it's generally agreed that vaping is a lot safer, and in my case a lot cheaper too.

15. Cat MacKinnon

It depends on a couple things. The nicotine can do it, but it can also be from a coil that's too hot or she might be a bit sensitive to the propylene glycol. If she has a battery with adjustable voltage (like an eGo C-Twist, the type I have), she should start at the lowest voltage and work her way up; once it has a slight burnt taste, back it down a notch (or she can just keep it at a low voltage for a cooler vapor.) This works in conjunction with the resistance of the heating coil, measured in Ohms (it's listed on the tank and/or coil head.) The higher the resistance, the higher the voltage can be turned up without burning the liquid. She may also have just gotten some "dry hits", which is basically just hot air because the wick wasn't saturated enough. It helps to take a couple drags before turning on the battery, to "prime" the wick (especially on a new tank or cartridge.)

Otherwise, propylene glycol makes for a bigger "throat hit", but it might be too much for her. Most e-liquid vendors show (or let you choose) how much PG and VG is in the mix: she might be better off with 50/50 or higher veg glycerin content. Try to find a liquid with higher vegetable glycerin content, which is much smoother. They even have 100% VG-based liquids. The only downside to VG is that it's thicker and clearomizers/atomizers/cartridges need to be cleaned more often.

BTW, the first couple hours of vaping, it was fairly strong on my throat. E-liquid is different than cigarette smoke in that it doesn't have extra chemicals added that tend to act as mild numbing agents. In other words, you just kind of have to get used to it. That first drag should NOT be like a regular cigarette drag: I discovered that the hard way and thought my throat was going to explode! Start with small drags, and she'll get used to it within a couple of hours.

Also, Google "vaping for beginners": I know it sounds ridiculous, but it'll pull up a lot of websites with great information. I have no problem admitting I did the exact same thing a couple weeks back, but I'm glad I did! When it comes to your health, there's no shame in searching even the most basic information; if it helps, that's all that matters.

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

In June it will be 2 years that I started vaping and stopped to smoke analog cigarettes.
    never smoked a single cig again since the e-cig arrived.

the burning sensation in the throat may have to do with the percentage of ingredients of the liquid.
    for starters I'd recommend liquids that contains this percentage:
    55% PG. Propyleneglycol
    35% VG, Vegetable Glycerine
    10% destilled Water
    0 - 18mg Nicotine + Flavour

it is not so much the strength of the nicotine but the mixture of PG + VG.
    too much PG gives more throat-hit and transports the flavour better (perhaps even burning)
    more VG makes for more volumous thick 'smoke'
    it can be a long search for the perfect vape and reminds me very much of 'the hunt for good tone'

cheapish vape hardware can spoil the good intended purpose of stopping to smoke. eGo's are a good starters kits.

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Cat, you explained it very good.

18. wildkat-bob

I think you have been throwing away clearomizers for nothing! I have been using the same one since January, the smoke that you see in the clearomizer and the burn taste is from the sugars in the mix that is caramelizing. The trick is to not put so much in at once so the sugars don't have time to caramelize that much.

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a long chat on the phone yesterday with an old school mate...

he was telling me how he gave up cigarettes a few years back.....

then went on to tell me how he'd just had a series of operations and hospital visits to have his lower colon/bowel removed....
    at first they thought it was cancer.... but the docs discovered it was another disease that causes severe ulceration of the bowel.... his got so bad they had to remove it...

the irony was.... the Dr's told him this condition he got was one of the few that smoking cigarettes/nicotine suppresses.... and giving up smoking caused all this health trouble that nearly killed him....

man, that was a crazy conversation... and glad to hear old mate got through it.... now with his small intestine hooked up to the end.... and when he has to go.. he has to go... he can't store any crap.... and needs to hydrate more often....

he joked that he should have kept smoking... and none of this would have happened..

still shaking my head over this...

20. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

Been off the cigs since October and love vaping. I recommend skipping the whole e cig thing and go right out of the gate with a tank system like the Halo or Better yet the Kanger tech pro tank ll. don't waste your money on the e cigs , they don't work well and you'll just get frustrated changing batteries and those god awful juice filled filters. Go right for a good tank system you'll be happy you did. By the way the new Castlelong juice by Five Pawns is delicious. It's a premium juice and much much better than the 10 or 15?other juice brands I tried. Be prepared for sticker shock though. It's expensive but worth it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.