Just Repaired 3 Amps and One Guitar With a Single Blob of Solder

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, May 19, 2017.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Last week I was playing my new Les Paul through my Fender Vaporizer and after some playing time, the output dropped to about 1/4 but eventually after staring at it for a bit, it came back at full power.

It was weird because I never had that happen before and the Vaporizer was the only amp I tried the LP through that sounded decent. I posted about it and the consensus seemed to be that a tube was going bad, the tubes have less than 10 hours, so anything is possible. I had just replaced the reverb tank and figured, I would be making a tube order soon.

I was bummed couldn't get tones I liked with it through my 5E3 clone or my Blues Deluxe, it sounded really muddy and I was thinking a pickup change might be in order. I ordered this LP online, which should answer the question as to why I would buy a muddy sounding guitar. Anyway it sounded great through the Vaporizer, until it didn't.

So today, I was contemplating things and plugged the LP back into Blues deluxe and fiddled with pup heights and still couldn't get what I wanted and then, while I was in the middle of "Train Kept a Rollin'", the volume on the BD dropped to almost nothing! It wasn't the Vaporizer, it was the Les Paul.

Maybe the selector switch was dirty??? I pulled off the back cover to find that the ground wire on the switch was not soldered on, but just sort of rubbing up against the ground lug!!?? WTG Gibson!.

So, I pulled out the old Weller, put on 2 pairs of readers and soldered that puppy on proper. Sounds like GD new guitar and all my amps are fixed too :)

Sometimes it's so simple, but I associate bad, muddy tone with other things, and associate humming and buzzing with bad grounds. Still not sure what it is about the Vape that made it sound pretty good until it faded out, but now all is well. :)

LeftyAl and Piotr like this.
  2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

So on top of fragile head stocks they also have lose ground wires
    Glad you found and fixed the problem

SnidelyWhiplash and unixfish like this.
  3. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Good to hear it was a simple fix!

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Fragile egos too.

5. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I recently watch a Gibson factory tour video.I guess their quality control dept. that they talked so highly of was off the day your guitar was made

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.