Just realized this week is 35 years…

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Since my first paying gig. I was 14. Where in the world did that time go?

It hasn’t all been sunshine and roses, nothing is. But all things considered, it’s still better than any of the other jobs I attempted briefly here and there. When I have a guitar or bass strapped around my neck, and a mic in front of me, it still feels like it did when I was in high school.

I don’t feel like that in my daytime life, and I absolutely don’t look like that anymore. But it still drags me in every night I get to do it. Which thankfully, is a lot.

Why do the Stones still tour? Because they can.

Here’s to 35 more. I can only hope.

Last edited:

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Nice job, GS. We are the same age. Hard to imagine doing the same thing for so long. Good for you for making it work!

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Other than rare occasions here and there or the times that I lead a few church folk groups (in a galaxy far, far away) , I have not performed in public. I would have loved the opportunity.
Tip of the hat to you!!

swarfrat

Tele-Meister
Beats cutting steel everyday. Try imagine doing that and playing a guitar and singing gets even better.
There was a man I knew who was 'old' when I was about 5. I went to visit him 30 years later. This 85-90 year old man was in his machine shop at the lathe, building some contraption for this guy who wanted to safely rip with a chainsaw (the goal was long curly cedar shavings IIRC). He was still sharp as a tack, and still inventing and building at 85. That's what I want to do do when I grow up. (I'm 51)

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Way to go! Keep it up! Yes, the time does fly by. I've been playing the bars and clubs since 1963 (I was eleven years old), and it's probably more fun for me now than it ever has been. Probably because I never dreamed it would last this long. But the phone keeps ringing, we're still getting dates to play and I'm still able to do it. Amazing!

Guitharley

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
Hey JD congrats on 35.....a little off topic here.....before pandemic my best bro and I took off on a little bike tour and were going to try catch your honkey tonk band play...we were not close to Ohio on the night of, so missed .....we are headed out again Sunday or Monday for a couple weeks...hit the Blueridge Pkway and then home maybe thru ohio...
You guys still playing ? ...
if memory serves I think you guys did one night a month at a little pub...cant even say for sure we will be in that area but.......?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hey JD congrats on 35.....a little off topic here.....before pandemic my best bro and I took off on a little bike tour and were going to try catch your honkey tonk band play...we were not close to Ohio on the night of, so missed .....we are headed out again Sunday or Monday for a couple weeks...hit the Blueridge Pkway and then home maybe thru ohio...
You guys still playing ? ...
if memory serves I think you guys did one night a month at a little pub...cant even say for sure we will be in that area but.......?
We’ll be on Kellys Island Sunday (5/29) from 2-6pm. Other than that, there are gigs, but not with that band.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Next year, in 2023, I’ll celebrate 50 years of gigging.
I started playing restaurants and Chelsea Street Pubs (anyone remember those?) in the fall of 1973, with my friend John B.
I was 16, he was an old guy of 21.
We did James Taylor and Cat Stevens covers, as well as John’s original songs.
He sang, and I overplayed on my Dad’s Martin D35.
I started playing in country bands after high school, in 1975.
Strangely, and blessedly, I’m still gigging, and still enjoying it.