Just realised that I've not played properly in about 4 months! Where did the time go?!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by marc2211, Sep 16, 2020.

1. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

So I was quaratined away from loved ones in March/April/May, then again in June - after that I was away on holiday for a month without a guitar! Now I'm wfh, juggling family life (3 young kids!), and in another quarantine!

In the mean time I've built a new guitar (and and in the midst of fine tuning it), fixed out a new music room at home, bought some pedals and put them on my board, and a hundred other music related things... but I've not actually played a guitar for more than 10-15 mins at one time for about 4 months!

I picked up a guitar earlier and realised that I have forgotten a lot of the most recent stuff I learned, so I am kinda down about that, but it'll be fun relearning I guess!

I have no idea how this 'hiatus' happened! Just wondering if I am on my own here where life just takes over now and again, or do you al dedicate time to playing each day/week/month?

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I just got back at it via having my guitar space back. In spring my daughter moved back home and into what was my guitar space. I'm super busy with work projects and keeping up fitness. The house has become about a 15 hour window of video meetings or conf calls for a few of us. One child just moved out into an apartment so that bit of normal is returning.

I'm a home hobbyist and occasional acoustic jam hack so I'm sure it's me more than the world missing the past few months.

marc2211 likes this.
  3. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I just got the kids back in school.

It has helped my peace of mind tremendously. I still have to work from home, but I took up a few new hobbies (sight reading and exercising), which I can do during my 'lunch hour' while the kids are away and work is on time out.

It is amazing what 1 hour by myself feels like. Absolutely priceless. I hadn't been picking up the guitar much lately either, but now I can measure progress one page at a time.

4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

We're having our first rehearsal tomorrow since March, in a studio where they've spent loads giving each room its own entrance and adopting online booking and payment.

That will be my first real playing in ages and I've had to do some serious homework revisiting the set list. It'll be the first outing for my new Les Paul junior style guitar too. I've played plenty during lockdown but its never the same as with the band.

Looking forward to it lots, even though we'll be rusty and possibly a bit nervous.

5. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I know where my time's gone, into $116,000 worth of hip replacements, although I did get to spend a lot of time with my guitars....spent most of it dicking around with fine tuning each of them, they're all feeling/sounding about perfect. Oh, and spent time messing with the darned multi-fx unit, which I rarely use, honestly, unless I want reverb or tremolo or chorus or something. Am more than satisfied with just plugging into my Tweaker head - although there's enough fiddling involved with thing as well, but....it sounds really good and has been rock steady reliable so far (non-pro, here)

6. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Every day I play for at least an hour. Sometimes I practice. Some weeks I get really good about practicing and learn a lot quickly.

But you know... most of the time I'm just picking it up to feel better or at least disconnect from other concerns for a while. It helps.

Good luck getting back to it!

Fuelish likes this.
  7. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

Was lucky to have great insurance, covered everything, includint physical therapy afterwards.....just had to pay several hundred bucks to the ortho place, but all in all, a great deal

8. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

Same....it's my escape, a lot better than TV, and my wife doesn't mind as long as I use the attenuator to tame the tube beast. Me playing guitar can make her rather "randy
    ....LOL

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well I feel for you and sort of understand how that can happen.
    My wife is a painter and struggles with falling out of the habit at times and then wondering what happened.
    Sometimes times last way too long, but not getting into that.

For me if I'm going into quarantine I need food water and a guitar.
    It's no less important. or I keep telling myself that.

I'm thinking/ planning/ imagining a sort of travel guitar to bring to work, a whole mile from home, so a guitar is always close at hand.
    I made a couple years ago when I did stuff like have a GF a few hundred miles away.
    The idea of drifting away from playing music is almost as scary as drifting away from air food and water.

Not sure how to apply that idea to raising a family in the quarantine etc.
    There's those little travel Martin acoustics and the Steinbergers and copies.

Sounds like you've fixed in now though, just ways to get over the next hurdle which has gotta be coming around the next few bends.

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Round these parts, we have been shut out of the clubs since March.
    Simply no motivation to play at the level I know that I can.

The band isn't practicing, kind of depressing.
    Waiting for things to swing-back.

11. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Same here. I think my band has got together twice this year. Usually it's only about once a month (we're semi-retired from music), but still, it's killing me.

I try to play at least a little bit every day, but sometimes I just get in a funk about it - like, what's the point? I have been trying to learn a few new things, but just don't have the same motivation right now.

And both of my band mates are being extremely cautious in these times, as they both have some underlying health issues already.

I've had to turn down a couple of gigs, and I don't know when we'll get back together. I've thought about trying to find some other jamming buddies, but I live out in the boondocks, so it's pretty slim pickings. Plus, I've been playing with these guys for over 15 years, so it's not like I just want to throw that away either.

I guess I'll just keep on keeping on and plow through it.

Cheers,
    Doug

String Tree likes this.
  12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I actually would like to lay my guitar down for a couple months. But I don't dare. I don't want to have to build callouses again. Same with hand and arm muscles. I've "cut down" to practicing every other day. I still feel guilty for not practicing everyday.

13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

You are not alone!

I moved into my first home at the beginning of August, didn't plug in a guitar at all until last week, and have only once more since then. I've noodled on my acoustic for maybe a grand total of an hour since moving in. Most of the house is getting somewhat settled, I'm trying to get some projects going after living in a basement apartment for a year while I finished saving, and projects cannot be done in a basement apartment haha. My guitars will be hung on the wall this weekend, some furniture moved around and into my music room with the new couch arriving, so I'm excited to get that space usable in the next few days.

I usually try to practice for 30 minutes per day, and just play for another 15-30. I'm learning my new groove with a longer commute, an entire house and yard to manage alone, enjoying a full kitchen again, woodworking and other projects, and music. It's really fun though, so I hope you can relax and find all the joy in your endeavors. Hell, even playing for a solid 15 minutes everyday is better than spending that time watching TV!

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So maybe the advantage of not being that good is I am not waiting to get back out to the clubs. I play a half hour to an hour per day most days which isn’t enough but keeps me happy.

15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Well I have never played properly, so your still ahead of me. :lol:

knockeduptele likes this.
  16. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

I set my alarm to give me an extra 45 minutes every morning to play before I leave for work. It's great way to ease into each day, and it's a lot more effective for improvement than trying to learn something in the evening when I'm tired (though I'm guilty of picking up the guitar most nights too).

I miss gigs and getting together with band-mates, but we're adults and will ride this one out until the time is right.

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

every morning from 5:30 to 6:30 am

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.