1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Just quit my job

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by swervinbob, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Good for you! Life is altogether too short. I hope you enjoy yourself and play lots of music, that's waht I'm doing in retirement.

KyAnne, 41144, Rocky058 and 2 others like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I recently took a retirement package. I was basically sick and tired of being away from home and my loved ones. I've now got a small part time job working on tills at a local bargain store. I love it, I do my shift, I clock out I go home and forget it. No more health and safety stress work for me anymore, no more long reports and statements. The other plus, work is now a 15 minute walk home, or 5 minutes if I drive. Best of luck to you @swervinbob.

3. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

25 years ago I got (justifiably) fired from a job I hated. I remember driving home and hearing Paul McCartney singing “Oh that magic feeling. Nowhere to go.”

Leaving that place and knowing I never had to go back was one of the best feelings I’ve ever had.

Matt G, rangercaster, KyAnne and 5 others like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Good luck......some people thrive under stress.....others simply collapse.
    After college, I took a "temporary" job in retail that lasted 14 1/2 years. I HATED it! Never once did I wake up in the morning happy to face the day. Pay and benefits were "OK", and I had a child to support as a single parent. After my daughter was grown and out on her own, I took a hard turn, and went into neon glassblowing. It was incredibly hard work, but I LOVED it. Did that for twenty years until the neon industry was supplanted by LEDs. I then "fell into" teaching school......specifically Special Education.....and again loved it. Did that until nearly three years ago, when I retired. Retirement is the best of all.
    I realize you've got a way to go before retirement, but you'll get there before you realize it.
    Best wishes.....and hang in there! ;)

P Thought, JL_LI, KyAnne and 2 others like this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

“If you marry a job, you’ll always have an ungrateful spouse.”
    -Thad Prough, Okie and Redneck Philosopher​

JL_LI, KyAnne, Deathray and 4 others like this.
  6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The Best Thing I ever did was to get sacked from a place that I totally despised. I despise working indoors unless undisturbed, I despise gossip - unless it’s Chet being chased by The Hounds on his bicycle, I cannot take the
    stench of “Eternity Embalming Perfume”....
    And lastly unless You KNOW where Haystack Calhoun is
    from - who the “Hollywood Fashion Plate“ was, and who
    the third Valiant Brother was - just go about your business
    and leave me to mine.

I never want to see any of those people. Thank You.
    11 years of my interpretation of Hell.:mad:

swervinbob likes this.
  7. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Good luck! and embrace the positives of your new situation. I left my job last year for the same reasons, and altho it took a while to shake it all off, it's been the best thing ever.

Deathray and swervinbob like this.
  8. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

Congratulations to the OP; good for you.
    Doing what you want to do & peace of mind are IMO very valuable commodities.
    When I was 22 I met a girl that I thought I was gonna marry; we dated for four years before it ended, and at one point we even looked for engagement rings. Once that all went south I pondered the entire idea of marriage & raising a family. I eventually decided why do I need all that? I decided that I didn't.
    My kids are my guitars; I won't ever have to pay for them to go to college, never have to pay for braces, won't have to bail them out of jail, or hire an attorney for them. Wife? Won't ever have to pay for a divorce, or a hire a hit man to kill her. :lol:
    I guess what I am getting at is that freedom from the life that most others seem to believe is something they have to have, just because 99% of everyone else has that life, I'm free from that.
    Quitting a job for me is no big deal; I have done it often, and some times on the spot with no notice.
    I look at others, even my siblings, and I see how complicated & even contentious their lives have been with the whole 'family' thing, jobs they have to stay at just because they have responsibilities, divorce, and kids that are unappreciative, or worse, psychotic; really.
    My general approach to life is to keep things as uncomplicated as possible & quitting a job should not be a bad thing; it is a good thing.
    Again, congrats OP. Job well done quitting your job! :cool:

P Thought, KyAnne, Rocky058 and 2 others like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Congrats. I did a similar thing. Never looked back and the smartest thing I ever did.

Matt G, Deathray and swervinbob like this.
  10. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Great idea to take a breather before jumping into the next thing! Sounds like you really need the time to decompress.
    Knowing you have marketable skills, should help you relax during your down time.

Deathray and swervinbob like this.
  11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Every one has stressful periods at work. It could be a project deadline; having to layoff your staff; reaching higher numbers from a bar constantly being raised; reorganization or downsizing; life and death in healthcare; conflicts with a superior or subordinate or between coworkers; high risk occupations. Different forms of stress are not equal.

If your job is constant stress with little reward or self satisfaction, it's a recipe for physical and mental health. That's not thriving, that's surviving.

"Back in the day" many folks were stuck in thankless or unfulfilling jobs but just sucked it in and lived with it. While that still occurs due to the necessity of having a livelihood, it is far less tolerable for many.

As a young student in health care (long ago in a galaxy far away), I remember seeing some of the original films of stress research. Rats exposed to intense stress who turned white, became frail and disoriented. It sucks.

swervinbob and nojazzhere like this.
  12. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

A job should never eat your life. You're very lucky to be able to jump out and regain control. As you move into the next phase, be sure to keep in mind how much you and your new employer are valuing each precious hour you have on this planet. Be sure you are happy with the exchange.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    nojazzhere and swervinbob like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Ma Joad once said that women are like rivers they flow through life, men, well they go in spurts. You are undergoing a spurt right now. Let me be the first to congratulate you! The only true way to be free in life is to not have a fear of making a living. I walked away from a job one time, and I was kind of second guessing a little bit to a friend, and my old pal said. TD, if you look out there at the highway, you'll see people running up and down the road in both directions, and not a single one of them gives a damn one way or the other about you, or where you worked. You just gotta get back on your horse and ride, something will turn up. He was right! Eventually things turned out way better for me. If I hadn't quit the job I had, I would never have found the thing I was really meant to do in life.

KyAnne, nojazzhere and swervinbob like this.
  14. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

The last bit is the key. Very similar situation for me in 2018; the pause after a layoff which followed my wife's early retirement really centered the both of us and we got off our duffs, out of the habit/grind, and across the country to live near my folks. You're doing the right thing sir, and few necessary changes hit us when we're not at a precipice/inflection point. Good luck and enjoy that time off!

KyAnne and swervinbob like this.
  15. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Man, congratulations! I’ve contemplated the same move for the last 2 years. I just don’t have the fall back skills that you do.

Enjoy your life! Money is nice, and it’s also necessary, but peace matters more.

wrathfuldeity, KyAnne and swervinbob like this.
  16. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

There's certainly a truth in - if it stops being fun, stop doing it - but I appreciate that can be easier said than done depending on an individuals circumstances.

swervinbob likes this.
  17. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Good for you. That must a massive weight off your shoulders. You are thinking clearly and that is the first step in a move like this

Decompress, destress, and get ready for the next phase of your life

swervinbob likes this.
  18. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Freedom ain't free.

swervinbob likes this.
  19. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I worked for a large company with a lot of stress and was laid off some dozen years ago. I was actually quite happy about it. Worked for a much smaller company with a lot less stress for the following ten years. It was a lot more enjoyable. Retired about a year and a half ago.
    I occasionally talk with folks who left the large company. None of them miss that stress or want it back.

swervinbob likes this.
  20. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations. I'm sure you'll be okay.

Since the quarantine and shutdown of work place, I decided it was time to retire. With all the benefits I get, I'll be fine. I am just going in to work 2 days a week just to help my co-workers get a day off and to train someone to take over my responsibilities.

KyAnne and swervinbob like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.