1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

JUST POSTED! 2011 Build Challenge -- Official Rules and Details -- Don't miss out!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TDPRI, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

hockeygoon, I read that as you have to have your wood still in mill form and then they will say something like you have to post a photo with your wood in the raw form, along with something like the first page of some major newspaper, and some word (which they will announce) written plainly on the wood on or after the start date.

no way do I see them not allowing someone to use wood they've had seasoning for years; Just not allow the use of wood that has been seasoning in a the shape of a Tele body and neck for years.

2. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

If it's like the last few years (sounds like it is) you just have to say you are participating on march 1st. You can buy what you want or use what you've got but before cutting the wood blanks you need to prove (in Paul's later-to-be-specified way) that no cutting or building was done prior to march 1st.

3. Johnston

Johnston Tele-Meister

[expletive removed] I was hoping this wasn't going to happen so soon. I was hoping it would hold off until the docs were finished poking and prodding and I could hold a Router :(:( It's one of the reasons I signed up to the site, love the challenge threads.

Tuur Doownload the pdf for the neck jig and look up the youtube videos . That was my plan. Plus a hollow body short scale fretless telebass bass ragin' now.

Ah well hopefully next time I will be able to wield a router without risking life and limb.

And can I be one of the first to say GOOD LUCK TO ALL who enter. As a spectator I can't wait till March the 1st now .:D:D:D

4. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    OK, two answers to the above questions:

A Les Paul or a Jazzmaster or Jaguar or a Mostrite or etc is NOT a Telecaster or Telecaster modified body shape. Feel free to build what you want, but if it's not a Tele body, or a Tele body with some changes (but still basically a Tele) it will be disqualified. The rules are not any body shape, with a Tele bridge. It's a Tele body shape with any kind of bridge.

And, as the others have said, you just can't start cutting and shaping the wood until the Challenge starts. I will give you instructions on how you will be expected to prove you waited to start the building process. But that doesn't mean you can't get the wood in your possession at this point. You certainly can. All the other parts as well.

5. hockeygoon

hockeygoon Tele-Holic

:lol: that's funny. Great, thanks for the claification TDPRI, all systems go!

"Are we go for launch? Fret hammer?" Check.
    "Truss rod?" Check, systems green.
    "Hand plane?" We're a go.
    "Router? Router?" Uh, I've got a burned bushing, your gonna have to do without me.

6. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

To the "Telecaster shape" question, is this something that ends up just being controlled essentially in the end by the voting population? I mean there is no process to get your plans approved? Build threads don't get locked or users banned as soon as it's seen a JM or LP or strat like body is cutout, right?

Personally I'd like to participate but I can't rationalize building a tele guitar for myself as I'm currently waiting on lacquer to cure on a JM build. My son (12) has expressed interest in a bass so I was thinking short scale '68 Telecaster bass as built by Fender which fits this by name but not by the implied 6 string guitar shape. I'd just like to participate under a time constraint that I don't usually have.

Thoughts?

Oh course the wife may squash the whole idea of "another guitar" anyway!
    Lee

7. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

A Tele Bass is Tele shaped and Paul already cleared and approved that question earlier in this thread.

8. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

TDPRI stated 4,5,6,7,8,12, any string number as long as the body is tele shaped.

9. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

I understood that string count wasn't an issue and a bass was ok. If the double cut Telecaster bass is enough of the "tele shape", meaning guitar, then I'm good.

Now to get buy-in from the son ... and the all important wife. How do I play this?
    :rolleyes:

10. roflcopter

roflcopter TDPRI Member

luckily i just put a rock on my girlfriends finger so now i can participate guilt free :-D, first time builder so we'll see how it goes. I've been working on my plan for about a month in cad so we'll see. Cant wait!

11. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

body blank okay as starting point?

I glued together a few body blanks last year. Can I use one
    as my starting point, or do I have to start from a single plank
    of wood?

Not a big deal, but I want to get ready as this'll be my first
    neck build, and time is likely to become an issue.

12. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    The wood must be unshaped plank. It cannot be cut into anything resembling a guitar body shape.

That should answer your question.

I don't want to answer yes or no, because people keep asking one step further -- first it's "I've glued the wood together" and if I say yes the next question is "I've cut it to a basic shape" and that's followed with, "I've trimmed the outer edges." See the problem?

So, I'll just state the rules. -- You must start with wood blanks.

I hope that answers your question.

13. buchan-caster

buchan-caster TDPRI Member

I think there should be a rule that it has to be handmade, or other words no CNC machines.

14. roflcopter

roflcopter TDPRI Member

there is still a considerable amount of tooling/setting up involved with a CNC. Might as well tell people they cant use any jigs or power tools too.

When it comes down to it, its voted on by forum members, so they'll decide whether or not to vote for a CNC build or not.

15. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    OK, it must be handmade -- no power tools of any kind can be used.

Just kidding.

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I think there should be a rule that it has to be handmade, or other words no CNC machines.
    What you may not know about CNC is that you have to create a toolpath and that means draw the entire part in 2D or 3D. It would be great if you could just take a drawing like Ed Hawley's or TDowns and use it as is, but things need to be tweaked for one's own machine.
    Then you have to convert that drawing into a Stereolithography or DWG file to generate the code for the machine to run based on the tool used in the router, size of the cnc machine, etc. Then you have to do a trial run. I do it out of scrap wood. Then you have to correct any errors that crop up. As an example I had a pixel causing the tool to mark a hole in a couple bodies before I noticed and fixed it. This takes probably 3x the time it takes to do it by hand. The beauty is once that all those things are done, you get a faster machined product. That means I can get a body routed in less than an hour. Then it is off to drill, sand, and roundover.
    I can show you the 10 blem necks and bodies I sold off for next to nothing before I got what I would consider a good result. Compare that to taking a TDowns drawing and making a template and using a router to do the same thing. Which one sounds faster and easier :)
    If I decide to enter the contest I will be using my CNC router, but I also will have to create a new drawing for the body, neck, and pickguard because I want to do something unique. I just love the whole process even though it doesn't really save me any time.
    I might add that I do have a drawing all ready to go for a regular tele body and pickguard but haven't quite gotten the hang of making the 3D version of a tele neck. There is a learning curve to newish software that takes the untrained quite a while to master. For what I have in mind I'd be using non tradtional items within the tele framework. These will require some things that aren't on any of the models or drawings I currently have with the exception of a perimeter outline.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  17. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can I build a Tele shaped Keytar :D?

[​IMG]

18. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure I would vote for that, unless it had a Tele bridge and/or was made of CF.

19. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

After reading guitarbuilder's post, it sounds to me like templates, saws and routers are the easy way to go.

20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Born instigator :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.